Bronica S focus correction / foam replacement

njepitt

Local time
8:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently obtained a Bronica S outfit from ebay, which I am pretty pleased with. It was sold as two lenses (50mm f/3.5 and 200 f/4 Nikkors) plus a free body and back, everything still in the original boxes. The body was included as a free add-on since the shutter was said to be not working. Turns out the shutter works just fine - I've put a couple of rolls through it - and the lenses are in terrific condition, so I'm very happy with the purchase. (Although Ive had to arrange a substitute darkslide, since it was missing. Not a major problem.)

It appears to have the focus issue common to these old bodies; apparently deteriorating foam leaves things out of alignment. This isn't much of an issue with the 50mm, but it is with the 200mm. I've read as much as I can on the internet about this, and it seems to be something I can handle myself so I thought I'd have a go. However, the body is an original S, not an S2 or S2A, and I'm wondering whether I can safely follow the articles that show how to solve this on an S2A.

I took out the metal frame that holds the focusing screen down, and found

(a) there is no foam on the underside of the frame at all;

(b) there is a square leaf spring between the frame and the focusing screen

(c) no shims at all, unless they are below the screen (or whatever is underneath it).

Possibly someone has opened this up before,and removed the foam but that probably isn't a major problem as long as I know where it should go. (if anywhere...).

So can anyone confirm that the arrangement of screen frame and foam is the same on the S as the S2 or S2A, or explain how it is different?

Many thanks for any pointers.

I have found out from Frank Marshman that the Bronica S does not have the same issue of deteriorating foam that the S2A, and I believe the S2, does.. I don;t have too many other details, but if anyone else has questions about Bronicas, I suggest contacting Frank, who has been very helpful.

Back