budget ($350mm) mirrorless camera

msbarnes

Well-known
Local time
5:33 AM
My friend is looking for a budget mirrorless camera. His budget is $350 and used is OK. He wants an affordable, easy-to-use, compact camera that takes "better" pictures than his Iphone. I'm recommending that he goes with an M43 w/ a normal prime or a Fuji X100 camera.

I looked into the Fuji X100 and M43 cameras myself several years ago and settled with an Olympus PM1 + Panny 20mm. This was several years ago and those cameras are old, so I can't recommend him the same setup. Since then, I've moved onto FF digital cameras and haven't looked back, so it's difficult for me figure out which APS-C/M43 cameras provide the best value.

Anyone recommend any specific camera/lens models in this price range?

How about a Nikon Coolpix A? Same angle of view as an iPhone and you can get them pretty cheaply now.

Also consider the Fuji X10/20/30. They are nice little cameras.

Used Fuji xe1 and f2.8/27mm fit's right in his budget.
This combo is my daily carry even though I have much more "advanced" Cameras.
Add a Toshiba flashair card to transfer wirelessly to mobile and you've updated it to include wifi.

The original x100 is great to but the xe1 is overall a better performer.
Bigger battery, faster processor, and intercgangable lenses.

With a budget of $350mm ( $350 million dollars ) your friend can buy everything out there and keep what seems best for him.

Really, I would recommend a lightly used Olympus OM-D E Mark II, my son bought one new with the 2 lenses for $700. and it has been a treat for him. Comes with WiFi. He has started his own small business with it.

How about a Nikon Coolpix A? Same angle of view as an iPhone and you can get them pretty cheaply now.

Also consider the Fuji X10/20/30. They are nice little cameras.

I"ll looked into those.

Although I would recommend that he goes with a longer focal length to atleast expose himself to a different angle of view.

One of the cheaper eos m cameras with the very good and cheap 22mm prime might just be able to fit in his budget.
A friend of mine just got one because he wanted something better than his iPhone and likes it a lot.

Try a Sony A5000 w/ SELP1650 pancake zoom lens (~380, new). That lens has aberrations a-plenty, but it's compact and I've found it super-useful.

If that's still too large, maybe you can still find a new old-stock Panasonic DMC-GM5 w/kit zoom. Some people might find it too tiny, but after the first week or two, I got used to it. Startup time is almost instantaneous.

Smaller still, the Sony RX100-series compact cameras are easy recommendations. Startup time is a little slow, at least with the first-generation model.

^^^
Actually the 16-50mm kit lens fits in as you can get them for under $150.
I bought one for Signe (our 13yo). She likes the zoom part. I like the OIS. It's a lightweight an decent lens.
If the OP's freed is coming from an iPhone a Zoom lens is going to make a large set.
My GF always picks the XE1/27 over the zoom as it's slim.

My only issue with Fuji is that outside of the XA, you are limited in RAW tools (DxO v9 is great, and free, but does not support Fuji). There aren't really cheap lens options if your friend wants to grow later.

Best all around in my books: Used EM-10 (mk1 or 2 really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned). Kit zoom is fine to start. For a bit of an X100 feel, put a Sigma 19mm F2.8 on it. Bigger and slower than the panny 20mm f1.7, but optically just as good and much less expensive.

Really small and slightly "cool", the PEN series are good, but a used Panasonic GX1 has a nicer feel (but lacks IBIS). Again, kit lens is good enough to start.

Lastly, can't fault a NEX5 or 6. Perfectly good cameras (I'm not a fan of the interface, but that is personal), and old enough they seem to be dropping seriously in price. Again, Sigma primes are a great deal on the NEX bodies (and more traditional FoV than when mounted on m43).

Back