Buying a Preasph 35 1.4 Summilux which one

Ricko of Fla

Established
Local time
8:42 AM
I read the post by Telenous - The many Secret guises of the Summilux 35 1.4.

So which one does every one like. There is
Type 1 serial #s 1,7600 -2,166 M2
or M3 serial # 1,7600- 2,166
Theres Type 2 serial # 2,221-3,253

I would appreciate every one's opinions, on which lens to purchase:D:D

I have the 2nd version.... 325397x
which I ADORE !!!!
I have posted some pixs in the '35 pre asph ' M Thread
Haven't tried the first version though
but I am PURRfectly Content ...:)

Best to You
- helen

I have a type 2 also. It can make wonderful pictures. It is very small and compact. My first Leica lens and one of my favorites. Joe

The Type I is a text-book example of optical aberrations. It has enough coma/flare etc to keep the most "character" hungry M- shooter happy!
In context, it was Leicas answer to the Nikon 35f1.8 and the Canon 35f1.5 and 1.8 (Both the Nikkor 35f1.8 and the Canon f1.8 are better).
The M3 version is optically the same as the Type I - but with the added bulk of the "goggles".
The Type II is much improved - particularly in the later form (post 3000 000) and though a bit flare prone - sharp and medium contrast. I have a very late version of this one still and use it occasionally. I have to admit though that for a medium fast 35 - these days I use my Nokton 35f1.4 as it is an all around better lens. The Summilux is kept more for "sentimental" reasons than for optical exellence.

Tom A: Do you like the Nokton 35mm f1.4 more because of the way it renders B & W images or is it because of the speed. How do you find the Skopar 35mm f2.5 for B & W images compared to the nokton?

They are two different lenses. The Nokton 35f1.4 is a modern version of the pre asph Summilux. Some idiosyncrasies when it comes to field curvature and mine is a SC and has a slightly lower contrast - which I prefer for bl/w.
The VC Skopar 35f2.5 is a smaller sized competitor for the Summicron pre asph. It is sharp, good contrast and though a bit slower than the Summicron - it is as good as the VIII/IV of that line-up.
If you need the speed, go for the Nokton 35f1.4 (it is better @1.4 than the Summilux) and if you want something small and compact, but with a high performance, go for the VC 35f2.5. The good news is that you can get both for what the "market" charges for a clean 35f2 IV Summicron! Just switch at 6 pm from the f2.5 to the f1.4.
As per usual - check Flickr for the "look" of any of these lenses.

Id love to get a 35mm Lux Titan, but I prefer sharp images at f/1.4. I did shoot with a late model 35 pre-asph Lux for awhile but the f/1.4 rendition was too "romantic" for me. I sold it in favor of the Lux ASPH.

Mine seems to be a version 2, SN 3538xxx (German-made) and was my first Leica lens. Fabulous lens with bad reputation. :p

Ordered my Leica 35 1.4 today #31xxx , what lens hood should I purchase to eliminate the flare when out side. I read 12453, 12526 any other and which one is best to use?

I have the type 2, mainly used on the M8, wide open gives a unique glow, stopped down, it's difficult to tell from a summicron pre-asph.

Like most lenses, when you start stopping them down - they start looking the same! The 35f1.4, particularly the later version is a good lens. It has some ideas about how things should look at f1.4 - and if you like it - it works well. By the time you get to f2.8 and beyond - it is just a good 35 mm lens.
As for the hood, I use the 12504 version (round, which clips on) - works fin and is somewhat less bulky than the 35/50 12585.

Leitz was clever about the way they designed this lens. They made it so the aberrations show up mostly in front of the plane of focus. What this means is that if you take a photo with lots of OOF foreground in the corners you will see nasty corner swirl/bluriness from f1.4 diminishing until about f2.8. But most people don't compose this way, or else the corners are too dark to show the coma. I looked at hundreds(ed.:well, I didn't count but it was a lot) of photos taken with it on flickr and could only find a few with OOF foreground that showed the effect. Most people put the subject in the foreground, so the background is OOF. At f2 the lens is noticeably better. I wish I had a first gen Summicron to compare it to, I bet it's similar. It's low contrast wide open, but it actually controls veiling flare really well (compared to an uncoated tessar type lens, for example, which can not be pointed toward any light source without washing out the picture). What you'll see is flare around edges and "glow" off of light surfaces. The depth of field is very shallow at f1.4, which may contribute to its reputation for softness.

At f4-f8 I think it is a superb lens, and that's really the main reason to own it. I find I only use f1.4 under really dim conditions, where the character of the lens seems to match the character of the light.

Last edited:

is probably the stock one. Some are using the 35/2 cron asph rect. ones. I'm not sure if those need modding or not.

I plan to try a 50 cron hood version as I don't think the stock hood is ideal for an M8 or RD1.

I put the 12524 hood on my new old 35 1.4. Works great, I epoxied a o-ring in the hood to hold a 39mm UV/IR filter. So far, so good

Erwin Puts don't mention two versions of the pre-asph. Summilux (1961, midland design) existing. Maybe they improved the coatings but the basic design should be the same. I have none of them, my fast 35 is the Canon 35/1.5. Maybe it shows more ghosting because of the bigger front element (Leica decided to leave the front element both of the 35/1.4 and the 50/1 small to cut aberrations, at a price of higher light falloff to the corners). The contrast at f/1.5 is very low, sharpness is present just in the very center. At f/2.8 the 35/1.5 is excellent - better than any other Canon 35.

I have a version 1 lux pre asph and love it. It is always attached to my m6, to tom's credit I don't think I would pay as much as they go for.. a 35 nokton is a lot cheaper and a good lens too, but I got mine with the m6 for 1500 so I think it will stay with me for a long time. The flare is the biggest issue with them I think. It this example is not as bad as it can get though.
3448843295_92c85665fa_o.jpg

I have used the old 35mm Summilux back in the sixties, and still have some prints. But there is no comparison with the one that lives on my black M2: infinity lock, Series VII filters in hood, Canada ser.No 2222xxxxxx. It has a bit of "glow" wide open which is not without charm, and can flare if you point it straight at a spotlight. But from f2 it has top class tonality and sharpness. And it's compact. I recommend this particular version with all my heart.

Back