Camera thieves at work

The one thing that bothers me about this video is it looks staged and if it is real why did they not take the camera too. They could have easily done so just by the number of their ranks..

A camera/lens combo is worth more than just a lens..

Besides that, why would the thieves let their faces be shown and posted on youtube???

I have heard a few stories like this since we just booked a cruise to St Petersburg.
Now I am wondering if I should bring the M8 with the 28-mm on it or just pass.
Or start twirling it around by the strap like Bruce Lee if/when I sense danger?

Looking for some advice...

So how do you stop people surrounding you unless you're Jason Statham? It happened to me once in Florence - they didn't get my Leica and didn't seem interested in it, but they did find a couple of hundred bucks in my jeans pocket.

Good point. It happened to me once in Prague while I had stopped on Saint-Nicolas' stairs to cure something on one of my feet. The place was empty but as soon as I rested myself down and took one shoe off, about six or seven young Russians surrounded me - and that was not fun.

I screamed and they left without assaulting me (and my belongings) eventually - much luck for me then.

That was the only time this happened to me, but I learnt the lesson (I'm sure those guys had been following me for a while, just waiting for the good opportunity to try to take my bag off).

Recently in Paris I met a very friendly guy coming from the New Orleans who told me he hadn't dared bringing his Leica M9 with him into France for the fear of being stolen. I told him that this was quite an exaggerated hoax. Fortunately you still can walk in Paris without being stolen (of course don't go to Montmartre inside the young Gypsies crowd with money in your pockets or valuable things around your neck or shoulder).

Quite often, people looking like the perfect rubes get stolen in very touristic places where there is nothing really interesting to see or photograph (because of the excessive touristic aspect of the place)...

As for disguising expensive photo gear into pieces of junk using black masking tape and the like, I'm not convinced at all : thieves do know the trick...

So, yes, the best advice remains : small bag not looking like a photo bag (if possible) ; casual clothes, with no flashy colors ; no backbag ; wrist strap (or neck strap twisted around your wrist) ; walk quickly ; don't stay for too long w/o walking ; never let people coming too close to you and change directions very often.

But there isn't any magic recipe...

Edit : grasp your belongings very firmly and move away PDQ as soon as you meet people :

- coming playing soccer around you
- showing you something they pretend to be funny
- carrying newspapers while being obviously unable to read
- asking you something OT (e.g., you're sitting at a café terrace and some people come by and ask *you* to help them to do something, whatsoever)

Etc.

A chap I worked with a while ago told me a story about his visiting Hong Kong. He was surrounded by a bunch of unpleasant characters, who clearly intended to relieve him of his valuables. Next thing he knows, another group of even less prepossessing ladies and gents are waving guns and arresting the troublemakers.

Apparently, the police used decoys for a while but the gangs got wise to them. Instead, the police would fix on a suitable target, my acquaintance was less than flattered to be told he was "a perfect victim", then follow them around until one of the gangs decided to rob them.

Could be a new ploy for selling tourist destinations: "do you look like a victim? Come to our resort and take part in a real life police swoop!"

:D

I have heard a few stories like this since we just booked a cruise to St Petersburg.
Now I am wondering if I should bring the M8 with the 28-mm on it or just pass.
Or start twirling it around by the strap like Bruce Lee if/when I sense danger?

Looking for some advice...

Most people don't have this experience. There is danger everywhere, don't let it stop you living your live, as Franklin D. Roosevelt once said: we have to fear nothing, but fear itself :D
Just like in NYC you have to be aware of your surroundings and you might want to avoid some situations. To summarise, don't be stupid :angel:

Bring your M8 with 28mm and enjoy your trip.

I have seen so many tourists on the skytrain in Bangkok with easily accessible valuables. I remember specifically one guy had about 3,000 baht (about $100 USD) showing through the thin fabric on his front shirt pocket. I kept staring at it and his stereotypical "I don't know where I am" look he had on his face. Eventually, I told him before leaving the train. "I could have easily stolen your money, you might want to put that in a safer place." To which he was shocked and actually put it away.

But I can BET you it would have been stolen by someone if I hadn't said something. I've seen the same thing with big backpacks on crowded trains around here. You have to be aware of your belongings and surroundings. I think Bangkok is a pretty safe place but it's easy to spot "helpless" targets from a mile away.

Take out an insurance rider for your camera gear on your homeowners insurance. For me, I got $5000 worth of coverage for $75 per year with no deductible.

Then, be sensible and discreet and enjoy your trip. I would hate to lose my camera, but I try to remind myself that it is meant to be used and shouldn't be the focus of my trip whether I'm backpacking in the mountains, or walking the streets of the city.

I need to check if my home insurance covers cameras when out and about. Mind you, most would cost less to replace than a £50 excess.

Now you know why I carry that non working Zenit with me with no film in it...
(should I super glue that Jupiter-21 to it for extra power?)

I need to check if my home insurance covers cameras when out and about. Mind you, most would cost less to replace than a £50 excess.

At least in the US, I think that most homeowner policies do provide coverage for your belongings away from home...the caveat is that the deductible may be 10% of your home value and may be too high to be of any real use. Adding the rider reduces the deductible to nothing and may cover loss, damage, etc. as well.

I don't carry any single piece of gear worth that much, but I may travel with a couple of bodies and several lenses to switch out based on the day's activity...and it covers my gear even when stored at home.

Unless you are with a group, stay away from dodgy areas.

Russia is a lawless place including those in charge. Don`t go there. Even business people have had large businesses confiscated that they built from scratch. Then the lawyer who was trying to retrieve it was murdered.

Police and government officials live homes 1000x their annual pay. Ho do ya suppose this happens?

Carry small amounts of money and give it up easily. Also some expired credit cards.
The real money needs to be hidden inside clothing.

As the economy gets worse, there will be more and more of this. When people get street smart, home invasion will be next. You have more leeway for defense here, but still there are local laws.

I bought some Leica lenses in Chicago and the dealer packed them in a lime green gift bag for the trip home. I walked with the valuable side next to the buildings , not the street. This provides less of a free rein for grab and run. Keep watching for those who might be following you waiting for opportunity.

When accosted, give it up fast. Unless you are trained and in practice and know local law, no weapon is going to help. Not saying you should not carry, but use discretion. Generally speaking, only use force if your life is in danger and you can prove it.

Foreign countries have laws we would not consider fair in the USA. Just look at the student who was tried for murder three times and there is no credible evidence she did anything. Now they are trying to extradite he back for another trial. Her family spent the retirement funds trying to protect her. States have infinite power compared to individual people unless you are very very rich. If Italy can not get her legally, they might try kidnapping. The Israelis did that more than once picking up hiding Nazis after WW2. That poor student will be looking over her shoulder for the rest of her life and she is no match for pros.

A few other things I've done that (I think) have helped me in the past....

1. Carry a local newspaper
2. If I'm going to be somewhere for awhile, I buy and wear a cheap pair of pants and shirt in the local brands....Levi's and Nike scream American tourist.
3. A monopod or umbrella can extend your personal space...if someone is too close...swing it their way 'by accident'...'mi scusi!'
4. Do something unexpected...my appearance is obviously American, but when approached in Italy, I responded 'go away' or 'I don't speak English' in Russian.
5. If I carry a camera bag, I try to use a beat-up messenger bag..or anything but a black camera backpack.
6. Gaffers tape works well to cover logos, but put some worn silver duct tape on top of that to help with the 'beat up and barely working' look.

You know this photo gear?
police-baton-stock-images_csp5015225.jpg

I find that perps are bold like this when the people that live in the area are scared of the perps or also hate the tourists in that area (therefore not caring what the perps do to strangers).

This is why it may be good to go to areas that are infamous with a few other people who can watch your back.

Making your camera look old and ugly (if it hasn't already achieved that state) is a big deterrent. The thief will be looking for a nice looking camera to sell.

I know this goes against the thinking of "camera lovers", but, if you use your cameras for making photos, it's worth thinking about. I'm a fan of ugly gear, even if it's brand new.

From Joey's page:
"My first tip for traveling photographers is to protect your gear from theft. There are thieves in every part of the world, not just developing countries. They know how much your pretty camera can fetch for on a black market, and they will risk a lot to steal your gear. When traveling, I make it a point to make my camera look crappy and old. I cover it with duct tape, carry it in a normal, dirty backpack, and make sure all recognizable logos such as “Canon” or “Phase One” are hidden. A nice looking camera case is also a red flag. I prefer typical “consumer” travel packs or using older weathered bags that have seen better days. "
https://joeyl.com/blog/all/post/5-critical-tips-for-travel-photographers

Years back, i got a tip from Jay Maisel..pack your camera cases into old, beat-up Samsonite travel luggage. Pink is a favored color, as it's easy to spot on a carousel, and it's ugly stuff. Tape over all the latches with gaffer tape. A thief will avoid bright colored items because they are easy to spot. Black luggage is an easy theft item. Lots of luggage is black.

A Halliburton or Pelican will fit into something similar to the linked example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-24...993974?hash=item46852c74f6:g:tk8AAOSw9HZbmlhq

https://www.tapeplanet.com/Pro-Gaff-Red-Gaffers-Tape-2-in-x-55-yds-p/pgre2.htm

Please don’t dress like a tourist. Clean new blue jeans, nice shirt and new tennis shoes. Just make up a sign tethered around your neck that says, “I’m a tourist. Rob me.” I also believe camera straps are a dead give away to an amateur photographer, vulnerable.

I like to look like the gent that slept on the park bench. Because I’m retired I go 7 to 10 days between shaves! I have to be careful because of my wife!

At any rate, my thoughts.

Your choice.

I don't think looking like a tourist or not looking like a tourist is going to help much. It might, and it might not. I sure wouldn't depend on it. If a thief sees something they want, they usually could care less who has it (unless they see a gun strapped on someone's hip I suppose). Desperate people will do desperate things all the world over. Avoid places where people are desperate.

My anti theft method is to stay out of areas where thefts occur. I have dressed down, and it was no help at all. Once I was mugged in Wash D.C. (where I discovered that D.C. stood for Dangerous City) and had no money with me for the mugger. Big mistake! Always carry mugging money, just in case.

The other time I was mugged there, I did have some money, but didn't want to give it to the thieves. After out running two of the three, I got tripped up by the last one and found myself surrounded by three angry muggers. Whilst running I had been shouting "I don't have any money!", which did no good whatsoever. So when I was caught, I reached into my pocket, pulled out the mugging money, told them "I said I had no money! This is it!), stuffed it into an outstretched hand, and lit out running again. Thankfully they didn't follow me that time.

The best advice I can give anyone on this subject is to not live in or visit dangerous cities. Period. It wouldn't hurt to be 6'4" and weigh 240 either, but that may just make it challenging for someone. Even if that's you, anyone w/ a weapon isn't going to be deterred by that.

Back