Can someone help translate these Germany handwriting?

Do you have a higher resolution image? I can't enlarge it as posted here. I'm 90% sure this is what it reads:

The first row says "At T setting shutter remains open"
After that I read something like "At B keep finger on the button (i.e., shutter release) to keep shutter open"

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dct
The last two lines I can't make out other than "Verachtet" in the second to last line -- "actuated." I agree with lukx about the first two lines.

Easy ( I did not change the grammar):

At 'T' the shutter stays open.
At 'B' the finger has to remain on the (shutter) button so the shutter remains open.

That is as it always is for cameras with B and T option. Hope this helps.

Easy ( I did not change the grammar):

At 'T' the shutter stays open.
At 'B' the finger has to remain on the (shutter) button so the shutter remains open.

That is as it always is for cameras with B and T option. Hope this helps.
Can confirm.

I wanted to confirm the translation. In order to do at least something productive for this thread, here's the (original) German text (and some thoughts - I hope nobody minds the digression)

"Bei T bleibt der Verschluss offen, bei B muss Finger auf Drücker gehalten werden, um Verschluss offen zu halten."

...and while the translations and the described handling of B and T settings is correct, and language sure has changed a bit (as has handwriting), the term "muss Finger auf Drücker gehalten werden" makes me smile, because it seems to tell a whole little story (as a historic document).

a) Whether it was written as a reminder, or as a note from the sender of the camera to the recipient, using the word "Drücker" (pusher) instead of "Auslöser" is somewhat cute. Either the writer or the recipient was probably not a versed photographer (the mere existence of the note seems to imply that already).
b) What kind of film was supposed to be shot and in what lighting conditions? Obviously there was an expectation that either B or T were going to be used at times (but not too often). Was there going to be a tripod/stand of sorts with the camera? How did they estimate or measure the exposure?

Sorry, if I went out of bounds here, but maybe I got a bit carried away to make use of my native language again... ;-)

look like someone wrote on the inside of the leather case, I was surprised the camera went through the war and is still in an excellent condition.

Regardless of whether the camera works or the optics can be salvaged, it is a nice historical artifact.

I will smile at the story of it being carried by a WW I soldier. Although it’s possible, I don’t think it’s probable.

By the way, that written note is part of a confidential document.

Last edited:
Checking the images in the add, it's clear that the camera is post-1945. D.B.P indicates Deutsches Bundes Patent instead of D.R.P. (Deutsches Reichs Patent).

Checking the images in the add, it's clear that the camera is post-1945. D.B.P indicates Deutsches Bundes Patent instead of D.R.P. (Deutsches Reichs Patent).

When zooming in, I do see D.R.P. though. (top left) and D.R.G.M. top right on the camera.
Both seem to point to a production date before 1945.

Back