Canon 110ED 20, Mini-Rangefinder

Timmyjoe

Mentor
Local time
5:42 AM
Been playing around of late with an old Canon 110ED 20 rangefinder camera and some Lomo OCRA 110 B&W film. My eventual goal is to reload the 110 cartridges with some Kodak B&W 16mm motion picture camera film I've had in a freezer for decades. I've shot quite a bit of it in a Minolta 16II and a Minolta 16QT, but haven't been real pleased with the image quality. Both the Minolta's are scale focus or no focus, so I hope the rangefinder on the Canon will help with image quality.

110Snow.jpg

110House.jpg

110Lego.jpg

110Sign.jpg

Best,
-Tim

Seems like 110 always does better in b&w than in color, though every once in a while I've noticed some good color output.

I had a Minolta Zoom MkII, and it just never really performed very well. The Kodak 60 rangefinder though was fairly decent. I think I've got one of those Canon models around here (though it would be buried in a box somewhere).

PF

Always wanted to try one of those Kodak 60 models, but the batteries have been extinct for those for years, and I guess it's DOA without the battery. The nice thing about the Canon is the batteries are still readily available.

I've purchased two of the cameras off of the auction site, the first was dead when it arrived, the second one worked for a while, then the shutter button refused to push. Removed the top and bottom covers, and this weird shaped spring fell out. Now it works fine, but I'm concerned that the spring probably had some purpose. Oh well, they can be had for about $20 each, so I'll enjoy it while it still works.

Best,
-Tim

Timmyjoe,
Those are some great 110 images.

I have a working 110 ED that I have not finished the first roll of film that I put in it, a long expired cartridge of Mitsubishi film. I need to get after it.

I have read that the 110 ED takes superior 110 images because a superior film pressure plate keeps the film flat and at the proper distance. Is this true?

Timmyjoe,
Those are some great 110 images.

I have a working 110 ED that I have not finished the first roll of film that I put in it, a long expired cartridge of Mitsubishi film. I need to get after it.

I have read that the 110 ED takes superior 110 images because a superior film pressure plate keeps the film flat and at the proper distance. Is this true?

Thanks for the kind words on the images.

There is no pressure plate behind the film that holds it flat, as there is backing paper behind the film and then the plastic film cartridge. There is a spring on the camera door that holds the cartridge firmly against the inside of the camera, that might make a difference. I also think the fact that it is a focus-able camera makes a difference.

Best,
-Tim

Does the Canon require film with correct perforations to wind/cock the shutter?

No, you can use unperforated film, if you modify the cartridges by cutting a little section out of one of the rails. Then the camera thinks there is no film in it and you can advance and fire the shutter all day long.

Best,
-Tim

It's a shame 110 film is a bit too expensive for me to buy and develop these days. I have the 110ED, and it's a very nice camera. I paid $5 for mine at a sale, but I was surprised they aren't worth more. Rangefinder focusing and f 2.0 lens, it must have been near the top of the line for 110. The only limitation is the size of the film. I've had plenty of 35mm shots come out looking worse than your examples.

I paid about $5 for mine too, but with another $4 for shipping. It's a nice little camera, and takes nice, clear pictures.

That reminds me, I've got to develop a roll of 110 film I shot over Christmas with my new (to me) Minolta 110 Auto Zoom....

Scott

Back