canon 50mm 0.95 fungus problem

Speedy

Well-known
Local time
6:58 AM
hi everyone, i have two 0.95 lenses, the one that i left on camera i found some fungus inside the rear element which was a fungus free lens as i can recall, the thing is would you attach the other lens on camera , i mean can mold spread to camera internals and then to the other lenses attached to camera? Also does anyone have a service manual for this lens?

I have worked a little on this lens. The rear element is a friction fit inside a thin-walled socket. Maybe you can take it out with a suction cup or by opening the socket a bit. You may need to remove the lens mount (mine came without one and has a custom mount).

Watch out the orientation of the element, the curvatures are very similar but not symmetrical.

can mold spread to camera internals and then to the other lenses attached to camera?

Yep. But mold and fungal spores are everywhere. The best insurance is to keep your camera and lenses in an environment that is not favorable for their growth, which basically means keeping humidity levels low.

From what I’ve read on the Zeiss website, although mold from one lens can’t directly “infect” another lens in an environment non-conducive to mold (low humidity), what typically happens is that the conditions that caused mold in one lens can cause it in others as well.

As stated above, mold and fungal spores are everywhere. Dust can carry it as well.

Back