Canon 7 2nd shutter curtain brake adjustment

Duofold RF

Well-known
Local time
2:32 PM
The 2nd curtain stopped before reach/pass the gate, the metal bar is visible, need 2-3mm further travel to reach the 1st curtain. I can see the 2nd curtain brake/stopper, but it seems not adjustable. Any suggestions how to adjust the 2nd curtain to travel further? BTW. All rollers are CLAed, it is not a need CLA saturation. Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6701.jpg Views:	5 Size:	328.4 KB ID:	4788492

I can't offer any definitive suggestions, not being familiar with the 7. Generally, however the first curtain brake of many focal plane shutter designs will contribute to braking the second curtain, also. When the second curtain lath hits that of the first, the impact can still be absorbed by the first curtain brake. Hence, it might be worth verifying that the first curtain brake is correctly adjusted. If it's over-adjusted, it may be preventing both the curtains from travelling fully?

I adjusted the 2nd curtain stopper (possible the 2nd curtain brake, the one I circled on the photo) holding screw, the 2nd curtain is able to travel further. While Canon 7 is a capable RF camera. the build quality and design are on the cheap/mass production side. The service manual has minimal information and there is no other manuals available to understand how the shutter works. It is a Leica type shutter, but cheaply designed and made.

The circled part is the 2nd curtain level according Canon VIT, VIL, and P service manual parts list. If this part stuck or too tight may cause the 2nd curtain stop before passing the film gate and reach to the 1st curtain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	4788681 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	4788681

Attachments

• IMG_6710.jpg
    IMG_6710.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1
Well done!
It’s a shame you had to hammer all over the top cover to get it back on. (Ok, truly, that’s a nice look!)

First you have make sure the camera is CLAed, your issue could be related to camera need CLA. If CLA does not address the issue, then adjust the parts listed above

Back