Canon 7s rescued from "the shelf" perhaps

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
1:59 PM
Some years ago I got this camera but never used it because the shutter wind mechanism would not work. Winding the shutter would not bring the curtains to cocked status. I figured out that while the film takeup spool would turn correctly, the sprocket clutch seems to not work at all. More precisely, it would only start to turn and advance the film near the end of the advance lever's travel. So the shutter would not cock. Today I loaded film in the camera (hadn't even tried before) and the shutter WILL cock, but only after several throws of the advance lever. So I would only get maybe 10-11 shots on a roll of 24, widely spaced no doubt. Better than nothing! The film seems to act as a clutch itself, after a fashion.

So -- is this something that can be fixed without going deep into the camera? Just removing the top cover looks really difficult -- many small set screws (and the frameline setting wheel and film speed adjustment button don't seem to have any obvious way to remove them at all). And that doesn't include fixing the actual problem.

I haven't checked to see if there are any videos out there. Anyone have any ideas? (Who works on these?)

Cosmetically the camera isn't bad. The meter seems accurate, and the RF/VF is clean and aligned. 1/1000 caps, but that may be a matter of lack of use.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Back