Canon EOS RP

You were right: went back to the store and restored the X-Pro2 and X100F settings back to factory defaults and voila ... the OVF had all the frame lines and other electronic info restored. Awesome viewfinders!

So which one did you buy?
:D
I'm still on the fence ... but are leaning towards the X-T3 with the 23/2 prime at the moment. :) The EVF is actually quite good (highest resolution EVF of any mirrorless right now), and the weather sealing and small form factor are awesome. The other camera that I still consider is the Canon EOS RP ... but I'm not sure whether the FF sensor is actually a good thing (shallow DOF, more sensitive) or not (makes the lenses huge compared to the Fuji lenses), plus its not weather sealed and the body is a bit too short to feel comfortable in my hands.

The X-Pro2 is amazing, too, but I know that I will always subconsciously compare it to my Leicas and find flaws. Thats why I think I shouldn't go with a digital rangefinder and get something different.

Edit: one other argument for the X-T3 is its ability to shoot 1080 videos at 120 fps. I am in the final editing stages of my second documentary film and I always envisioned slow-motion B-roll footage of crowded street scenes. The cameras that I used to shoot the film didn't have that ability (1080p/24 only) and with the X-T3 I could add that slow-motion b-roll footage which would make my film visually more interesting.

Canikon doa. My opinion. Please don't scoff. 1200 bucks too much. Last digital basic class I saw...rebels kit lenses all sub $700 one Nikon hybrid the instructor a D850 myself a Df....1200 is what those people are going to spend on a phone. The camera for Christmas is something different now. Hyperbole my @ss. Bet.

Ah, good point Contarama.

I hadn't paid much attention to the lowly Canon Rebel recently. They used to be everywhere--vacation spots, weddings, family get-togethers, etc. Now you see mostly phone cameras. But for someone wanting to get into photography with a real camera, I wondered if a Rebel still isn't appealing. After all, a basic T6 with kit zoom is now selling at B&H for less than $400.

Canikon doa. My opinion. Please don't scoff. 1200 bucks too much. Last digital basic class I saw...rebels kit lenses all sub $700 one Nikon hybrid the instructor a D850 myself a Df....1200 is what those people are going to spend on a phone. The camera for Christmas is something different now. Hyperbole my @ss. Bet.

Cheap cameras are no longer sold in the volume required to make them profitable. No one wants a $400 Rebel with a kit lens when their phone is sufficient and in many ways more fit for the purpose. Each time smartphones improve in image quality, another chunk of the low end camera market disappears, first it was compacts (they lost on image quality), now it’s the entry DSLRs (they’re losing on ease of use - image quality is sufficient).

The manufacturers are moving to where the money is. The money is in enthusiasts, specifically enthusiasts who have some money to spend. $1200 is to much for what? Just because you think $1200 is too much, doesn’t mean everyone does. I’d never pay $100k+ for a car, but plenty of people do. Maybe they earn more than me, maybe they have different priorities, either way they think $100k+ on a car is worth it.

Always wanted a full frame DSLR. Couldn't care less if it was mirrorless or not. In fact OVF is a plus in my book. Sp I picked up a Nikon D800 for tiny bucks (one third the price of that new Canon). 36 megs, baby!!! Plus I have tons of legacy Nikkors lenses around here somewhere.

Always wanted a full frame DSLR. Couldn't care less if it was mirrorless or not. In fact OVF is a plus in my book. Sp I picked up a Nikon D800 for tiny bucks (one third the price of that new Canon). 36 megs, baby!!! Plus I have tons of legacy Nikkors lenses around here somewhere.

Good for you, but not everybody wants to carry around such a big & heavy used DSLR that might have (tens of?) thousands of shutter actuation's already. Some people want to buy new gear and the new mirrorless cameras fit the bill for many.

While I was at the store yesterday I saw a bunch of young guys shopping for cameras. They only checked out the Sonys and Fujis mirrorless, but didn't even give the Nikon or Canon DSLRs a glance. I think it won't take long for DSLRs to disappear completely from the market.

I ended up ordering a Fuji X-T3 with a 23/2 lens and extra battery. Weather sealing, better video features and the smaller form factor were the deciding factors. If Canon had smaller native lenses I would have ordered that, but these comically huge lenses didn't do it for me.

I ended up ordering a Fuji X-T3 with a 23/2 lens and extra battery. Weather sealing, better video features and the smaller form factor were the deciding factors. If Canon had smaller native lenses I would have ordered that, but these comically huge lenses didn't do it for me.

As someone who just made the switch from MF film bodies to a Fuji, take the time to learn the AF modes and set up the camera as you like it. And don't be afraid to change the setup as you get use to it.

Enjoy it, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Good for you, but not everybody wants to carry around such a big & heavy used DSLR that might have (tens of?) thousands of shutter actuation's already. Some people want to buy new gear and the new mirrorless cameras fit the bill for many.

While I was at the store yesterday I saw a bunch of young guys shopping for cameras. They only checked out the Sonys and Fujis mirrorless, but didn't even give the Nikon or Canon DSLRs a glance. I think it won't take long for DSLRs to disappear completely from the market.

Like I said....too late for Canikon....Sony and Fuji seized the day already. Mass market buys a phone for Christmas and if they buy a camera it is Sony or Fuji or an entry level DSLR. Canon is smart with the $1200 rig though...they'll sell some for sure to the long time enthusiasts. The rest will grab a classic old film unit from the bay and at a premium price. Just my take and I've been wrong before so.... :)

Bottom line - some big players are going to die sooner rather than later.

Like I said....too late for Canikon....Sony and Fuji seized the day already. Mass market buys a phone for Christmas and if they buy a camera it is Sony or Fuji or an entry level DSLR. Canon is smart with the $1200 rig though...they'll sell some for sure to the long time enthusiasts. The rest will grab a classic old film unit from the bay and at a premium price. Just my take and I've been wrong before so.... :)

Bottom line - some big players are going to die sooner rather than later.

In what world does the mass market get $1000-2000 Christmas presents? Nikon and Canon are not in trouble despite your anecdotal evidence.

As someone who just made the switch from MF film bodies to a Fuji, take the time to learn the AF modes and set up the camera as you like it. And don't be afraid to change the setup as you get use to it.

Good advice!

Also, be sure to Power Management options in the Menu system are not set to extend battery life. These can really slow things down. In my view invoking Power Management is only useful as a last ditch means to use the camera when the battery is about to die.

Take the time to download a PDF of the manual. You can find it on this page.

Don't forget to use the most recent the firmware for the camera and lens.(link). The download page will have a PDF manual addendum as well.

Enjoy it, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I was recently in a similar situation. I would add to the above good advice that you WILL hit buttons with your thumb, fingers, and face when you had no intention of doing so. Learn your settings and then learn how to quickly get back to them without swearing randomly.

Good advice on battery power mode, reading the manual (what?!), and changing user settings -- will do!

But hey, just because I bought a digital camera doesn't mean that I won't give up 35mm and MF film photography. For me, it all about adding tools to my pallet also I can explore possibilities.

50123321588_4fabb39d13_b.jpg

RP is under 1K USD with taxes, in Canada.

I don't have EF to RF adapter, yet, another 100 USD.
Using in it with original RF lenses and Nikon F for now.

Adapter for it is cheap.
50097902606_655441e683_z.jpg

ISO 25600 with Nokton 35 1.4 II. It was darker in real.
50127303096_747b5dfa61_b.jpg

Nikkor 50 1.4 S Auto
50127524912_47fe5614ef_o.jpg

Same:
50126732518_ee9d6b163b_o.jpg

Jupiter-3
50127303031_2abb9104fd_o.jpg

I like how it focusing anywhere within the frame.

Nokton 35 1.4 II f1.4 1/15:
50126732418_da0de6e06b_o.jpg

All are in camera JPEG1, my LR, Windows don't know CR3.

KoFe you are the last person I'd expect to post a cat pic.

I have our cat pictures regularly here. She is very good. Every time I set backdrop for photos, testing new camera, flash, lens and so on she is close and cooperating.

Here is dog picture, RF with Nikkor 50 1.4 S Auto f1.4:
50126732453_f383aa7d42_o.jpg

Back