Canon EOS RP

The EOS RP is surprisingly light and nimble for a full-frame camera. Recently I bought one with the native 35/1.8 at a discounted price. First digital camera I buy in nearly 15 years. Size, weight, a slew of Canon EF lenses, and the increasing cost of slide film swayed me that way. I haven't used it much though, just for a few family photos. First impressions: The lens/sensor/software imaging chain produces astoundingly detailed photos. Sharpness is not the be-all and end-all of photography to be sure but in this case it's there in a big way. To my eye, the colours are typically Canon. Kind of pastel, with nice skin rendering but not particularly film-like. I read above worries about lens flimsiness and I am surprised. The lens that came with my RP is head and shoulders above any EF lens I have. Overall, I'd say it's a tight camera with good tactility although for a film-guy with a simple brain like me the menu still feels a little counterintuitive. I'm now waiting for the 85/2 and there's a rumoured 50/1.8 coming up as well. These are fairly large lenses for the body (comparable to EF counterparts), but not so big as to terrorize innocent folk with. For that, you'd need the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 behemoths.

I find it to be an interesting camera at a great price. If the 50mm 1.8 isn't huge, I might check it out.

35 1.8 RF is nowhere near any EF L lens. It's primitive focus mechanism reminds me Canon 35 f2 and Tamron 90 f2.8 macro lens.
It is a pity how Canon makes only huge lenses for RF. All they need is 40 2.8 RF. RP with this lens might boost sales. Most compact, light AF FF imount camera with most compact AF FF lens it would be.
35 1.8 RF is good lens on results. So is Nokton 35 1.4 II I already have. It is nice, little lens and with RP it is good low light, indoors kit. With focus assistance enabled it is most easiest, fast and accurate manual focusing I ever tried.
For native RF, I'll upgrade my 24-105L EF to RF, which seems to be more compact.

Compared to the EF 35/1.4 L, the RF 35/1.8 is smaller, lighter and it also packs IS. I have the old EF 35/2 and the RF 35/1.8 is neither as noisy nor as slow. Imagewise it is better than either EF 35. I understand however the plea for compactness. It's still possible Canon will produce a pancake RF 40/2.8 . The question is how large their 50/1.8 will be esp. seeing as Canon intends to include IS. My guess is it will not be compact.

Compared to the EF 35/1.4 L, the RF 35/1.8 is smaller, lighter and it also packs IS. I have the old EF 35/2 and the RF 35/1.8 is neither as noisy nor as slow. Imagewise it is better than either EF 35. I understand however the plea for compactness. It's still possible Canon will produce a pancake RF 40/2.8 . The question is how large their 50/1.8 will be esp. seeing as Canon intends to include IS. My guess is it will not be compact.

STM is just an replacement for old EF step motors. Not as good and USM, IMO.

With only one small picture provided of 50 1.8 RF lens, it seems to be another bulky, noisy STM focusing behemoth...

I hope new manufacturers of lenses will step up more into RF. Sony FF mirrorless has nice compact primes from third party manufacturer. AF lenses, but as light as M mount focus lenses.

I still don't get the "noisy" bit, but that's OK. I agree, if the system takes off, other lens makers will step up to the plate. Well, let's hope. Canon seems to be pretty invested to the success of the RF system.

Figured out over exposures on outdoor pictures with manual lenses.
Have to use AV. :).
Downloaded Canon DPP to deal with CR3 files. Canon is not software company for sure.

In camera monochrome with red filter preset, with Nokton 35 1.4 II:

50132254867_19aee66dfe_o.jpg

50131468353_23b07082e7_o.jpg

50132254827_874921b91d_o.jpg

Nice tones in these Ko.Fe.

In AV mode, does the camera adjust automatically shutter speed for proper exposure as you change your aperture settings on your adapted Nokton 35mm?

Nice tones in these Ko.Fe.

In AV mode, does the camera adjust automatically shutter speed for proper exposure as you change your aperture settings on your adapted Nokton 35mm?

Yes. It shows it it eVF.

You bought one Ko.fe? Congratulations!

Thank you! It is under 1K USD with taxes in Canada.
It is my fourth digital FF EOS and ninth Canon camera in total from all Canon cameras I used to have, still have.

RP is just the same size with M-E and grip added.

Interesting. The EOS RP, including an R/EF adaptor goes for less than USD 1,000 in Vietnam. I am tempted but will wait a little longer to see if the price will go down further when the R5 and R6 hit the local market. Cheers, OtL

Interesting. The EOS RP, including an R/EF adaptor goes for less than USD 1,000 in Vietnam. I am tempted but will wait a little longer to see if the price will go down further when the R5 and R6 hit the local market. Cheers, OtL

R6 is 2499$, I guess, it will go down closer to 2K USD and still going to be twice more expensive than RP and different from tiny and light RP. R6 is just another bulky, overpriced camera, IMO.
But maybe Canon will drop RP price to 899 USD. They were available for this price in USA on sale days.

Yes. It shows it it eVF.

It is my fourth digital FF EOS and ninth Canon camera in total from all Canon cameras I used to have, still have.

RP is just the same size with M-E and grip added.

congrats, I also went back to Canon last year with the EOS R and really happy with it. Felt at home with Canon body and lenses especially the 135L.

one disappointing thing is that Wide angle (35mm and wider) M mount lenses have color shifting in the corner. Doesnt sound like the R5 or R6 has fixed this issue either.

congrats, I also went back to Canon last year with the EOS R and really happy with it. Felt at home with Canon body and lenses especially the 135L.

one disappointing thing is that Wide angle (35mm and wider) M mount lenses have color shifting in the corner. Doesn't sound like the R5 or R6 has fixed this issue either.

Thank you.

I run quick test after your comment. With Nokton 35 1.4 II.
No issues.

50134077023_21ea39303a_o.jpg

50134062638_147058416c_o.jpg

50134610846_af741b9500_o.jpg

50134610801_a3f8930952_o.jpg

A couple of out-of-camera shots, both with the RF 35/1.8, from a short walk with my daughter near the seafront. We were quickly losing the sun, so these were in the ISO 1250-1600 range. The RP is reasonably responsive, very quiet, light in the hand. The film-guy living inside me was pleasantly surprised: it was actually fun to use.

IMG_0144small by Strangefinder, on Flickr

IMG_0151small by Strangefinder, on Flickr

I am looking at a Canon camera to make use of my long neglected Canon L glass. I am concerned, however, that the small size of the R will not match the size and weight of my L glass.

Congratulations .... still spinning my wheels on this one .
I still use a 5D3 and three bits of Canon glass and two extenders
Do I find a replacement lighter body and if so what ?

Thank you.

I run quick test after your comment. With Nokton 35 1.3 II.
No issues.

50134077023_21ea39303a_o.jpg

50134062638_147058416c_o.jpg

50134610846_af741b9500_o.jpg

50134610801_a3f8930952_o.jpg

that is great, thanks for sharing that.
might be because of the lower MP on the RP versus the R, same issue with the older Sony A7R (36mp) vs Sony A7 (24mp) when they didn't have back screen illuminated sensors.
My R has color shifting in the corners with my CV 35mm f2 and CV 21mm f3.5

Congratulations .... still spinning my wheels on this one .
I still use a 5D3 and three bits of Canon glass and two extenders
Do I find a replacement lighter body and if so what ?

Thank you.

I am looking at a Canon camera to make use of my long neglected Canon L glass. I am concerned, however, that the small size of the R will not match the size and weight of my L glass.

R is bigger and much more advanced. RP is FF digital Rebel. Compact and simplified. And just as with Rebel, adding battery grip should balance L lenses. Where are several third party made ones. I used my 500D with batteries grip and without grip and L zooms.
I have tried RP in the store without grip and with 24-105 RF L. It is close if not similar with 500D. Holding lens, instead of holding camera and supporting the lens.

I also have 5D MKII and just couldn't lug it around anymore. RP with M mount lens is less heavier than my M-E 220 with same M mount lens.
RP menus are still Canon EOS menus with little more added. Biggest difference from Canon EOS DLSRs seems to be in AF settings, handling, but I can't try it, yet.

Took it for camping up North.
Among two 35 RF lenses shared with M4-2, I also used cheap Vivitar 19mm f3.8 in F mount.

50157880312_da998f2eda_o.jpg

50157880317_f31006755a_o.jpg

50157092983_ca28be4b28_o.jpg

Back