Canon L1 rangefinder patch/Viewfinder

analogpics

Well-known
Local time
4:59 PM
Hey guys, i just picked up a Canon L1 and have been testing it out today. Build quality, ergonomics, etc are great. But, is the RF patch and viewfinder lacking? I guess i was comparing it to my m4/bessa r2a at first so maybe that wasn't fair lol. But, lining up the focus vs my kodak retina iiic, the retina was noticeably easier to focus.

Maybe i just need to get the VF cleaned up and it'll be fine? Any L1 users here? ...Anyways, thanks in advance!

I own an L1. Probably my favorite Canon rangefinder. My rangefinder patch is well-defined and easy to focus. It's not in the same league as a M-series Leica, but few camera are. But these camera are now 60+years old so it wouldn't surprise me if yours needs a cleaning.

Jim B.

Cleaning can help and can sometimes make a big improvement to RF patch brightness but some cameras have a dim RF now after 63 years have passed and nothing much can improve their brightness other than transplanting a known good replacement RF beam-splitter prism from a parts camera.

I just received an L1 from Japan that was CLA'd in January. The rangefinder patch is very clear. Perhaps you just need to have your camera CLAd.

FEDEX delivered it this morning. I ran a 12 exposure roll of Fujicolor 100 through it and sent it off to The Darkroom. Fingers crossed waiting for the results. The shooting experience was superior to both my Canon P and Canon VL2. The gold plated rangefinder makes a difference.

I have an L1 and no problem with the rangefinder patch. In the head bartender's article about it - he says it's especially good b/c the gold coating doesn't fade nearly as much as the later ones sometimes do.
As other suggest - a cleaning seems to be worth trying

You can also try a yellow or orange gel over the rangefinder window.
I've used "cut to size" gels on both Canon and Leica rangefinders and the improvement in r/f performance was well worth it.
Try "Kodak Gelatine Filters". They can be cut to size.
David

Past experience with rangefinder patch on L1 is that gold coating remains intact. The rotating lenses used to provide magnification can need cleaning though. As an aside though, I recently had problems with slow speeds and took the camera frame cover off and found someone had put black glue or something with light leak felt on the camera frame which PREVENTS THE CAMERA COVER FROM BEING ATTACHED SNUG AGAINST THE CAMERA MAIN FRAME SEPARATING THE SLOW SPEED ADJUSTER SO SLOW SPEEDS WOULD NOT WORK.
After removing the glue and felt to ensure a clean surface and replacing the cover the slow speeds amazingly began to work like a clock! I recommend first if there is a slow speed problem with an L1, or any other Canon early model with the slow speed adjuster on the front, that the screws securing the camera main frame cover are secure and have not come loose. After that remove the main frame cover and check for eronously positioned light leak felt and glue.

The L1 with the Canon 85 1.9 has to be one of the nicest rangefinder combinations I have owned. The Canon 7s or 7sz are of a different caliber feel wise but when operating properly is a a beautiful piece of Japanese engineering. Recently I have replaced the shutter unit in a 7s with one from a Canon 7. Since I did not have a manual for the 7s this has been daunting operation and have had to put it down for a rest a few times but am almost done. Enjoy spring weather everyone! I have my eyes on an L2!

I had an L1, currently have a Vt Deluxe, viewfinder and RF patch are bright and easy to use. I had a Vt a while ago, sold it- but after sending to Essex for a CLA. it made a huge difference in the viewfinder and RF patch, like night and day.

The Bessa RF is similar to Leica M meaning the patch is going to be a bit brighter and has also has sharply defined borders allowing for both coincidence and vernier alignment. In contrast the Canon allows only coincidence alignment. Other than the need for cleaning, keep in mind that if you're well over the age of 40, presbyopia reduces your accommodative ability to focus up close. That's important for seeing the patch clearly as these camera's typically have a -1D dioptric eyepiece power which is great if you're a little nearsighted of under age 40 where your eye can focus to compensate for the -1D. As you approach 60, forget it unless you can get a +1D dioptric accessory lens for the rear eyepiece. SLR manufacturers and Leica always made them for their camera's but I don't know if Canon ever did for their early RF cameras. On the later Canon 7 series, the standard black eyepiece ring holds a -1D dioptric lens but I don't know if they they made accessory eyepiece rings of different dioptric powers.

.... On the Canon 7 series, the standard black eyepiece ring holds a -1D dioptric lens but I don't know if they they made accessory eyepiece rings of different dioptric powers.

They did for the 7s, so I assume they'll fit a Canon 7 too. You could get 0, +0.5, -1, -1.5. But good luck trying to find any.

Jim B.

Back