Canon LTM Canon L2 rangefinder

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Okay, now I see it. Your window seems a bit bluer than mine. Yours has "striations," mine, kind of a mottled pattern. I did have my L1 given a CLA but Stephen Gandy's repair tech several years back. I'm sure he cleaned the interior viewfinder optics. I consider my viewfinder is bright and contrasty.

Jim B.

I just got what I think is either an L2 or L3 hybrid that I bought off of ebay from Japan. Low speed shutter works, will need to check the higher speed for accuracy. Plan on keeping it since the price was good.

I think it's a hybrid someone may have put back together from various parts due to the following:
- Metal shutter instead of cloth (seems a few had metal shutters installed)
- L2 labeled bottom plate (easily swappable I am guessing)
- No X sync flash dial
- PC outlet with locking collar

Some pictures of it.P4150699.JPG
P4150703.JPG
P4150702.JPG
P4150705.JPG
P4150707.JPG

I just got what I think is either an L2 or L3 hybrid that I bought off of ebay from Japan. Low speed shutter works, will need to check the higher speed for accuracy. Plan on keeping it since the price was good.

I think it's a hybrid someone may have put back together from various parts due to the following:
- Metal shutter instead of cloth (seems a few had metal shutters installed)
- L2 labeled bottom plate (easily swappable I am guessing)
- No X sync flash dial
- PC outlet with locking collar

I think this falls into L2 type 3 (March 1957) according to Peter Kitchingman's info at the Canon Historical Facebook. Metal curtains are the only thing ( I think) that separate it from the usual. I'd guess fitted post production. Otherwise it's features are standard L2 and just like the L2 I own (and love) . Its a really great camera , possibly my favourite RF ( as measured against Leotax F, Leica M2, Leica CL, Canon P and 7sz)

I shoot a Canon L1, ran my second roll of film through it on Wednesday evening and began my third roll of film. I use a Canon 50mm/f2.8 lens with my L1. I love it, superb range/viewfinder. Handles buttery smooth, and feels great in my hand. It also fits easily into my wheelchair bag in a little bag. My Luna-Pro F goes with me. My adaptive street rig.

Purchased an L2 from forum member Al about a month ago, and am really enjoying it. Took a bit to get used to a few things, but been shooting it pretty exclusively for the last month. Fitted with a Canon 35mm f1.8 from the same era, and occasionally swapping to a Nikkor-SC 5cm f1.4, it seems to meet most of my "walking around" needs.

I might remove the top plate (if I can find a service manual or instructions, as I've never worked on a Canon RF) as the viewfinder is pretty fogged, but otherwise, it's a joy to shoot.

Best,
-Tim

PS: I do have a question for you folks who also have an L2, does the front of your viewfinder look like this? Mine does. It seems like there was once a coating over the viewfinder front glass and now it's a bit foggy and scratched off.

View attachment 4759989

Would love to hear your experience.
This looks exactly like the outer window of my L1 - it seems to cause no problems

Back