Canon LTM Canon LTM 50mm 1.5 "Sonnar" Photos Please!

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Krosya

Konicaze
Local time
2:48 AM
I couldnt find a thread like this from before, so.....

Post your photos from Canon 50mm 1.5 LTM "Sonnar" lens,pls.

Keep looking squinza, you will find one. Have you considered the ZM 50/1.5? I sold my Canon 50/1.5 and got one of those instead - bigger, yes, but better contrast wide-open without losing that sonnar-look.

However, the Canon is also nice:

London (Leica IIIa, APX100):

'De La Luz' from flickr (M8):

Keep looking squinza, you will find one. Have you considered the ZM 50/1.5? I sold my Canon 50/1.5 and got one of those instead - bigger, yes, but better contrast wide-open without losing that sonnar-look.
Hi kully, I really love old canon lenses, and 50mm above all. Everybody seems to go crazy for the sonnar look of the Canon, so I fell like giving it a try.
I'll keep on looking ;)

I love this lens...

2402906246_e41b5f56a6_o.jpg

I just got the 40->43 step up ring, and will be putting the IR Cut on some of my canon 50's. Yours looks spot-on for wide-open and close-up. I changed the shim on mine, I believe it had been opimized for F2.8~F4 like the newer SOnnars.

I had the 50/1.4 on it yesterday, and focus was perfect on the M8.

Tooffy- yours looks like it was optimized for use wide-open. I changed the shim on mine, added 0.1mm, to use at F1.5. Before that, it was best at F4 and compared poorly against the Nikkor-S 5cm F1.4. My personal opinion is that Canon optimized it for use stopped down, and that is why it never got the fame of the Nikon Sonnar.

Brian - I recall Dante Stella saying this lens was best at f4, and my own experience fits. My example shows less veiling flare and more contrast at f1.5 than my "Tokyo" Nikkor, but I use the Nikkor more. The Canon is a beautifully-made lens though, and great with color.
EPSN5747sm-vi.jpg

EPSN5749sm-vi.jpg

Lovely shots, John, and I completely agree that the Canon does something special w/ color. Here's one at f.4:

2104519897_f00f6e0dbc_o.jpg

Mine seems to work well enough wide open, though:

3162350606_202526ed88_o.jpg

I agree with Dante that the lens was shimmed for F4, at least mine was. I changed it.

When testing this lens on the same roll as three J-3's, a Nikkor 5cm F1.4, and a Canon 50/1.4, the focus seemed slightly off but was perfect at F4. With a Sonnar formula lens, you have to pick the sweet spot.

Back