Canon VI-L/6L CLA Recommendations

styvone

Established
Local time
5:13 AM
Hi,

Anyone know of any reputable shops in the USA that can CLA/overhaul a Canon VI-L/6L rangefinder? Just picked one up for not too much, but there does appear to be some shutter speed inaccuracy + fungus in the VF. I'm located in CA if that helps.

Much appreciated,

Steven

I believe Youxin only works on bottom-load Canon's.

I know you asked for US-based repair techs, but I sent my VI-T to Kanto Camera in Japan for a CLA. Did a perfect job. It's been my primary Canon rangefinder these past few years.

Jim B.

Oh, you might try reaching out to Ken Oikawa. I know that he works on Canon SLRS and fixed lens rangefinders (and does a fantastic job). Ken is based in California. You'll need to call him:

28288 West Worcester Rd
Sun City, CA 92586
Tel: (909) 246-9136

Also, you should confirm this is still his address

He told me not too long ago that he doesn't work on the Canon P anymore, which makes me assume he won't do VI-L's (since they are so similar). I will shoot him an email anyway, but do you have any other shops that come to mind?

Ah, that's sad. I had him serviced a VI-L back in 2013. Still going strong.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I've confirmed with Youxin that he no longer services the VI-L and the P.

Ken Oikawa's phone number doesn't seem to be active. I can't get through on my phone.

I've reached out to Dan and await his response. Does anyone know if ProCamera will take on a 6L? I know they do P's.

You could ask Don Goldberg. At one time he did Canon rangefinders. If he does, be sure to ask about wait times.

....Ken Oikawa's phone number doesn't seem to be active. I can't get through on my phone..

Try this number: 951-246-9136.

Ken is a retired Canon repair tech. Mainly works on Canon FD-era cameras and lenses, but he may tackle a VI-L too.

Jim B.

Try this number: 951-246-9136.

Ken is a retired Canon repair tech. Mainly works on Canon FD-era cameras and lenses, but he may tackle a VI-L too.

Jim B.

I just chatted with him - a very nice and lovely person. Unfortunately, he does not work on the VI-L or the P.

You could ask Don Goldberg. At one time he did Canon rangefinders. If he does, be sure to ask about wait times.

Indeed, he does work on Canon rangefinders. He quoted me $300 for an overhaul of a Canon P not too long ago - I'd like to find a cheaper option before reaching out again on a possible VI-L job :)

Ross Yerkes in Los Angeles. Just Google his name and call him. I bought my Canon 7 from him. He's been a camera repairman for a lo g time.

Indeed, he does work on Canon rangefinders. He quoted me $300 for an overhaul of a Canon P not too long ago - I'd like to find a cheaper option before reaching out again on a possible VI-L job :)

Don has been doing my Leicas since around 2001. He CLA's Canon RF lenses. He worth every penny he charges. If my VI-T every needs work that's where I will send it.

He converted my M3 to a M3-MOT & M4 loading.

This^^^. I recently acquired a Canon VI-L that turned out to have a shutter capping problem at high speeds. I sent it to the Head Bartender for a CLA. The camera came back within four weeks and works fine now. I will say that it’s mildly annoying that he sends the camera back w/out any summary of what was done/repaired, but I’ve tested the shutter speeds and they seem good now. I’ve sent three cameras to him for CLAs and am pleased w/ the results.

Sad to learn that Youxin had stopped servicing the VI-L and P. The VI-L he restored for me back in 2014 is still doing great today...

Back