Canonets

The one camera on the GW site I don't get is the AE1 Canon. I'm not a Canon guy but those are always in the $100+ range now it seems.
Are they that good? (Posted by AlwaysOnAuto

I have been having problems signing in and somehow, in the mixup of trying, I put this in response to Sonnar Brian. Even so, he was kind enough to put in a thoughtful answer. Thanks Sonnar Brian. Your posts are always kind and well thought out. You have the expertise to back up your posts and I always read them and learn from them. Thanks again.

My response which should have been to AlwaysOnAuto is below.

Are those the at-the-time inexpensive ones that came out about 1974/5? If so, I think they held up pretty well. I was pretty good at all types of photography by then and had something of a good reputation in my MOS in the US Army for being able to get the photographs needed. Few offices, except for perhaps Europe (so I had heard but I never go assigned there), so I used my own gear which I was very familiar with. There was never any poll that I know of, but I think there probably no more than 10 or at the most, 15 agents world wide with similar skills. And I guess they had the 4x5 and Leica cameras due to so many being in Europe after the war.

Anyway, there I was enjoying my abilities and reputation in a small command that I didn't think could have afforded any type of camera purchases, never mind kits..

But guess what, our agents took to those cameras and lenses like ducks to water. They started turning out some rather good crime scene photos as well. The cameras didn't immediately die from being used by folks not used to using cameras and extra focal length lenses. I still got requests for unusual needs, but I wasn't needed as much as before. Actually, I was kind of happy to see them able to use those cameras and that the cameras were so agent proof.

Again all, sorry for the mixup.

Back