Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 50mm F1.5 Limited Edition Nikon S Mt 1st Photos

jonmanjiro

Staff member
Local time
1:14 AM
Picked up my S-mount Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 today. The build quality is superb, and the lens feels really solid. At 187 grams, it actually heavier than the Millennium 50/1.4 by about 10 grams, even though its a physically smaller lens.

It's interesting to see that Zeiss (Cosina) used a ZM box and warranty card instead of printing a box and warranty card specifically for this lens. The only indication that an S-mount lens is inside the box is the sticker they slapped on top. The "Exclusively for Japan" sticker is a bit of a mystery too. I didn't think these were only for the Japanese market. Did anyone outside Japan order one?

attachment.php

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Looks great - looking forward to use one :):) !

Exclusive for Japan sounds strange - why would they do it that way ? Maybe more of a marketing thing perhaps since the biggest market may be Japan...

/jon

It looks a lot like the Nikkor 5cm f1.4, except the bayonet mount for the hood.

Including the old-style F-Stop mechanism.

After getting home with the lens, I stuck it on my S2, loaded up a roll of Fuji Reala 100, and went shooting. Here's some of the shots from that roll. I like the results so far :)

Taken at f2, focus is on the ripped bike seat.
2405674532_b553281106_o.jpg

Shot at f2. Focus is on the hands of the front statue.
2405680252_9023e5c7f5_o.jpg

Shot at f4. Again focus is on the hands of the front statue.
2404851241_5038af0f3b_o.jpg

Shot at f2.8(?). Focus is on the leaves in the upper right section. This is the last of the cherry blossoms at the local temple.
2404852461_781e506d78_o.jpg

Shot at f4(?). Focus is on the bike's number plate.
2404857397_cfbdbf1cf2_o.jpg

Shot at f2.8(?). Focus is on the older lady on the left. This is a typical street scene in my neighbourhood. The older lady has a face mask on for protection from all the cedar pollen, and the young girl on the bicycle is busy reading her emails while she's riding!
2405688720_cb92286d7c_o.jpg

The "Exclusively for Japan" sticker is a bit of a mystery too.
Maybe this means that the quality is exclusive to Japan, and everyone else takes their chances? :) Seriously, though, great looking (and performing!) lens, Jon - aesthetically, a great match to your BD S2!

--c--

Jon, I am impressed with the speed whith which you managed to post not only a picture of the lens itself but also photos taken with the camera! The web is a fantastic tool to share experiences like this!

And great results !!
/jon

The lens not only looks beautiful but also performs beautifully. The transitions from in focus to out of focus are stunning.

I'd love to have this combo of camera and lens.

Please post more samples if you're so inclined?

Good looking lens on the camera and smooth transition to OOF areas of the photos. I guess I just love the look of photos taken with a Sonar lens. Nothing harsh.

Bob

Jon, I am impressed with the speed whith which you managed to post not only a picture of the lens itself but also photos taken with the camera! The web is a fantastic tool to share experiences like this!

And great results !!
/jon

Thanks Jon!

I promised myself that this year I'd make more of an effort to take photos with my gear, as well as take photos of my gear. So I wanted to follow up with some photos quickly.

it's very important

it's very important

Typically the Japanese won't tolerate aperture blades falling out randomly, paint flaking during the first month of use, heads of lens falling off, etc.

So this lets them know that possibly it was checked over a bit :D

Looks great - looking forward to use one :):) !

Exclusive for Japan sounds strange - why would they do it that way ? Maybe more of a marketing thing perhaps since the biggest market may be Japan...

/jon

maybe

maybe

but if you read and look at ZM photos, there is a focus shift where you can either get focus accuracy wide open (not the original factory setting), or you can get focus accuracy stopped down, but not both.

Isn't this the same lens formula as the Zeiss ZM?

but if you read and look at ZM photos, there is a focus shift where you can either get focus accuracy wide open (not the original factory setting), or you can get focus accuracy stopped down, but not both.

I understand your comment now. Maybe Jon will be able to give us an opinion on this issue

Jon - by the way... do we know how many lenses has been produced in S-mount of this limited edition ?

Jon

I have the ZM version and it's really a wonderful lens. The samples you posted are representative of the feel of the lens, accentuating the nice bokeh and "creamy" feeling. I consider it a "Noct light" :)

Kent

Hello,

I understand your comment now. Maybe Jon will be able to give us an opinion on this issue
I may be wrong, but the "focus shift" is said to be related to how the lens focusing helical and the optical elements interact together in the ZM C-Sonnar 50/1.5.

Kind of some "floating optical elements" design revival, fine-tuned from the factory for the lens giving the sharpest possible image (at the closest focusing distance) at f:2.8 (IIRC, but Roger Hicks will tell us) and which the ZM Sonnar owners may want to have custom-pitched to f:1,5, but with then "focus shift" from f:2 to above (still at the closest focusing distance) ; this focusing issue being then progressively swallowed by the increasing depth of field each time the diaphragm is closed for another f-stop.

Here with the S-mount Sonnar 50/1.5 the focusing helical is built in the camera, and so, no optical elements of the lens can move relatively to the focusing helical barrel.

So, no "focus-shift" to fear with a S-mount lens.

Just my $0.02 of course. I'd like to stand corrected if my theory suffers from brain-shift... :angel:

BTW Jon, very nice shots. The last one is half-stunning, half moving, because the old woman and the young one seem to live in two different worlds...

Does the young woman even live in the actual one ?

Interesting thoughts on the focus shift. If your points are correct that is REALLY a nice plus for the S mount version!

Kent

Back