Challenges ...

I'm curious, Helen. You're expressing a desire to shoot color, but what's changed for you in terms of what you want to shoot? New subjects, the same subjects but with the new set of creative parameters that color entails? Do you have a clear sense of the path you want to pursue, or do you want the path to reveal itself to you as you proceed? Please don't interpret these as hostile questions! I greatly enjoy your work, and I have an deep interest in how others pursue their creative process. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the results of your challenge to yourself.

Boredom, Grief, Desire to get out of my 'normal' ways of 'seeing';, 'doing'.
Being inspired by other people's work with Colour. Suddenly a new World has emerged.

If I do not change than I think Photography is over for Me !

Cheers and Thanks for your questions pushing me to focus in ...

This past year has been really challenging. Photography took a back seat. While still under "stay at home" I started working on the Route 66 images, and even though I've always been passionate about B&W photography, I'm starting to get a whole new respect for the color image.

I was also pretty amazed by the color image quality from the Leica M9, and remember now why I longed for one for years. For me it has much of the look/essence of the old Kodak Ektachrome I used to love.

Can't wait to see what you do in color Helen.
Best,-Tim

You were blessed in making great use of your Time with 'Route 66'
Well Done !

Colour can be pure magic but for me a difficult way of seeing though I do look forward to the challenge...
M9's were special indeed
Thanks !

Helen, I'm glad you stumbled on William Albert Allard's work. Even though i work in B&W WAA was my favourite Nat Geo photographer. His compositions are painterly and his sense of both timing & light is superb.
He has a place in Missoula and often crosses the border to work at the Calgary Stampede. He is a very fine raconteur as well. A few years ago he did an evening presentation in Calgary on his book "Paris l'Oeil du Flaneur." His "Five Decades" is a great summary of his work.

hah, so Cool You love Allard's work too !
He opened my Eyes to colour and Life
as did Helen Levitt and Sam Leiter
Thank You for the other book suggestions ~

Thanks for pointing him out Helen! I wasn't aware of his work. I really like the subdued color palette in some of his work.

Look forward to your future challenges in color. As always, I'm sure it will be excellent.

My challenge?

I’m perfectly happy with the kind of photography I do. I have no problem with creating street images of random people, strangers wearing masks, anything and everything in the world around me is fine; it’s all fascinating to me. I thoroughly enjoy cityscapes, seascapes, nature and travel photography. I’m 100% digital now, primarily color, a little bit B&W. And, I’ve recently brought my tripod back into the game.

So, what’s my challenge? My challenge is to get better at what I’m already doing. I want to make fewer but better photographs. I want to think longer, harder and more creatively about my content, composition and lighting. When there is no time to think (like in fast moving street situations) I want to be more selective about what images I keep and what goes in the trash. Just because a picture is nicely composed and the right stuff is in focus, it doesn't mean that the image is interesting or compelling.

Yes, my challenge is to be a better photographer. I have the time and resources to make this happen. I believe I have the knowledge, skill and creative drive to make this happen. The time is now, it’s time to up my game!

All the best,
Mike

Sounds like you are in Tune with yourself and Focused !
A true blessing ~
Thank You.

Helen, perhaps you'd also enjoy Lartigue: Life in Color: It's currently part of my 積ん読, but I will get to it.

My challenge is to overcome inertia as summer brings yet another day of clear, hard light with few clouds to soften it. But generous rains as recently as Memorial Day mean that the landscape is still particularly lush this year, so on with the SPF 50 sunblock and out the door I go. I've sold off a number of cameras in the past 18 months, and this has renewed my enthusiasm for those which remain, and some of them, like the Olympus Pen-S and Canon Rebel G, I'm using for the first time.

Although I've been exclusively shooting in color lately, I've been itching to try black-and-white, using the particular sort of light yellow-green filters that I associate with Soviet cameras, in hopes of, I don't know, maybe the sense of illumination that I associate with promotional photos from yesteryear.

Love it, Thanks for the Lartigue link, Yum !

Hey, Helen. I share your passion for Jane Bown. I got a copy of Faces long ago and two days ago Portraits arrived in the mail. Why not get a pair of OM1n and dedicate one to black and white and the other colour ? I did that for quite a while. My personal challenge is to hone my film portrait technique and make some credible images of my close friends and family. I reserve colour for my cellphone. Whatever you do, it sounds like you are having fun.

Yes Jane is one of my FAVORITE photographers.
Should buy another OM1, had a used one for a brief time from Steve Huff but it broke and I never replaced it.

as for colour am deciding which digital camera... maybe olympus
Cheers and Thanks John~

Thanks for pointing him out Helen! I wasn't aware of his work. I really like the subdued color palette in some of his work.

Look forward to your future challenges in color. As always, I'm sure it will be excellent.

Yes Allard makes magic !
So pleased you enjoy his work.

Not sure I can do it but it's worth a try...
Mighty kind and Thanks for giving me the benefit... ;)

I have reached a crossroads... self imposed
Me and my new found addiction, photographer Willian Albert Allard

Maybe You do it too with Challenges...

This weekend I bought two B&W books , Jane Bown, yum and drool ,
Her work in "The Observer" and "Faces" . Made me realize how happy I was to still have my M5 but really it should be an OM1 with 50 1.8 and the 65mm, seriously wink, wink

Then I went to a local Cafe, browsing thru their books came across a hard cover photo book by
William Albert Allard 'Portraits of America'

Blown away, simply Wonderful... All Colour, lots out West which I found stunning, yes a native New Yawker in a swoon. So I asked if I could give a book in return for theirs ...Gave them 'Brassai / Paris'.

This small act led to an avalanche of challenge, creative desire...
I want to shoot COLOUR , digital colour !
My whole Life has been black and white. Never considered colour, now I want to drown in colour.
Needless to say my M monochrom
holds no sway since it can't shoot colour.

(hopefully 'Challenges' not as crazy as mine . I do think colour is far harder fo shoot, to tweak, to create a strong Image with Atmosphere)

What are Your challenges ?
Big fan of Jane Bown also, Helen. She used a Rolleiflex Automat with 75mm Tessar for earlier images, before eventually sticking with her beloved OMs. I have three of her books and would like more. Her ability to often conjure memorable portraits in the most unpromising of locations (stairwells, even) was as remarkable as her tenure with The Observer. If memory serves, on her passing, she bequeathed her archives to The Ob/Guardian.

I sometimes find myself looking at one of my pictures and thinking 'That will look better in black and white'. Question is...do I ever think the opposite?

On reflection it seems to me that I rely on black and white to make a colour image more 'interesting'.

This almost sounds like an admission, or a confession or just a realisation that I've had enough of my own b/w images.

I don't think we need to emphasise colour but it is all around us, even on a dull, dark foggy morning in the suburbs...

(Sydney Allard (no relation) made some great cars but that's another story)

Interesting thread, like the idea how books (and not only photography books) can trigger ideas, desire for something new. Knowing the superb use of light and film grain you make in your B&W I'm now curious to see where this phase of your creative process will bring you. For sure it will be interesting. And inspiring .

My Challenge? For the moment after many lockdown and semilockdown weeks in which I was allowed only to walk in my neighborhood nor too far from home the main challenge is to continue to make photogrpah. I had the idea to make a work about the special light we have in winter with strong sun alternating with misty moods...probably it will evolve studying the light in the various seasons, not only winter.

med_U3692I1611509072.SEQ.0.jpg

It started in B&W but sometimes are photos which really call for some colour !

med_U3692I1621703617.SEQ.0.jpg

It's a work in progress...as most of my photography, projects, ideas...

My challenge is to get the time and tranquillity to get out taking a camera with me to shoot.
I never had much of either but recently they both tend to zero

lhl_bill_allard_01.jpg

Here ya go Helen, Allard signing posters for students.

Note his "everyday" carry camera at the time in 2011, a Panasonic GF1 with an optical finder. If I recall correctly the lens was either the 14mm f2.5 Lumix (28 equivalent) or the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent).

I teach photography at a university and many famous photographers have come through our photo school over the years. Most stay for a few days or a week and really enjoy helping students. Arnold Newman came and didn't want to leave, he really had a great time.

Yeah, the last year (photographically) has been less than stellar. I've really only just started trying to shoot street again but find myself on the 50mm again and not getting close for anything when it comes to strangers. But I'm at least doing it again (despite the mediocrity of my work) and it should get better. Hopefully.

Agreed !
Masks, the covid World makes for street/people photos no fun, no way for engaging...

Here ya go Helen, Allard signing posters for students.

Note his "everyday" carry camera at the time in 2011, a Panasonic GF1 with an optical finder. If I recall correctly the lens was either the 14mm f2.5 Lumix (28 equivalent) or the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent).

I teach photography at a university and many famous photographers have come through our photo school over the years. Most stay for a few days or a week and really enjoy helping students. Arnold Newman came and didn't want to leave, he really had a great time.

I'd say from the looks of that finder he has the 14mm mounted.

My challenge right now is getting back into the swing of things after not doing much photography over the last year due mostly to physical issues. I need to send off about a dozen rolls of film, replenish my stock of film, and make a decision on which way to go with the digital side of things.

As far as color or b&w, I do one or the other depending on the situation. I try not to get boxed into any certain style, so I find opportunities in both.

PF

...Note his "everyday" carry camera at the time in 2011, a Panasonic GF1 with an optical finder. If I recall correctly the lens was either the 14mm f2.5 Lumix (28 equivalent) or the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent)...

When i met William AA a couple of years ago, he was sporting a Leica digital, i'd guess an M9 but i wasn't really looking at the gear.

helenhill.... if the subject matter moves you as well as the colors...maybe it's time for a reprise? You know.... 'helenhill in the american west'.....it worked for Avedon & Georgia OKeefe....

& if you particularly liked the cowboy images, check out Adam Jahiel, "The Last Cowboy"....B/W long term ranch project. Adam J also has an outstanding sense of composition. Then of course there is the impressive B/W large format work of my friend Jay Dusard "The North American Cowboy, A Portrait."

Here's one from a branding at my friend Charlie's ranch in the southern Alberta foothills.
50559711393_2387fd7dba_c.jpg

This small act led to an avalanche of challenge, creative desire...
I want to shoot COLOUR , digital colour !
My whole Life has been black and white. Never considered colour, now I want to drown in colour.
Needless to say my M monochrom
holds no sway since it can't shoot colour.

(hopefully 'Challenges' not as crazy as mine . I do think colour is far harder fo shoot, to tweak, to create a strong Image with Atmosphere)

What are Your challenges ?

My challenge? Finding enough spare time to teach myself developing a roll of B&W 120 Film in Caffenol C :D.

Your challenge, in order to follow the great work of Allard's American portraits might be to do something like August Sander did 100 years ago

https://augustsander.org/

but in COLOR. (In German - just click on any "read more" to see his work).

Enjoy YOUR work!

Last edited:
Back