Chicago-help needed!!!

abumac

Well-known
Local time
12:31 PM
Hi, I know this is a bit off-topics: We'll go a few days to Chicago. Anybody could say, which is the best area to stay?

Thank you.

I would stay in NW Indiana, Hammond or Whiting, for instance, and take the South Shore (the electric commuter train) into the Loop (downtown Chicago). But, that's just me. I hate driving in Chi-town. It's worse than Washington DC.

Last edited:
The Gold Coast (North Michigan Avenue area) has the nicest hotels. That will put you closer to shopping and the lakefront. Downtown (the Loop) now has some newer funky hotels that are fun and reasonably priced. That will get you closer to theater, the Art Institute and Millenium Park. It's less busy at night, however, so you'll cab it more.

Whatever you do, stay away from NW Indiana. :)

There are many B&B's in the city, which would be a nice way to get around.

When I am in Chicago, I stay in a hotel in the outer suburbs and take the Blue Line in. But that's me.

metra is a very easy way to get into the heart of the City quickly.

www.metrarail.com

Most lines run almost around the clock. Check for lower cost space out side of city near train station. Not sure of any place down town that I would call reasonable price-wise.

While the south shore line will get you closer to museums and such I've never rode it. I've done north and west lines and have been very happy. Tons of great stuff in the Loop area which you can get to from either of the main train stations (Union or Ogelby (sp)).

Walking is a wonderful way to see the city, just depends if you are bringing kids as to the volume/length you migth want to go. Cabs are everywhere, cost a bit, but worth it at the end of the day to get to the station.

Tons of great night life in Near North (which is a subway or cab ride away), though Near is a releative term.

Pick up a free paper called the Reader, great place to find info on what's happening where.

Send me an email and I can give you more as time allows. bingham dot b at comcast dot net

B2 (;->

I live in the 'burbs, and usually take Metra into the city, but a few times we have stayed downtown - wife has had a couple of conventions, etc.

While it's not in the trendy area, and is (rather) expensive, I like the Palmer House in the south Loop (tho there are less pricey alternatives). Walking distance to Grant Park, Millenium Park (and the infamous 'bean' sculpture), the Art Institute, Orchestra Hall, and most importantly - Central Camera :p. A couple of close restaurants (Italian Village is an institution; Berghoff sadly closed), but not a lot, and shopping is pretty dismal, save a few icons on State Street.

Much more night life and shopping North, but that's just not me.

Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium are all on one campus; drive, bus or cab ride no matter where you stay. Museum of Science & Industry is farther south.

Go to hotwire.com and use the zip code 60611. You should be able to find a four star hotel in the Mag Mile/Goldcoast/Streeterville area for around $100.00 per night. Just north of the river, you'll be within walking distance of the Art Institute (and the recently opened modern wing), the MCA, Millennium Park, some great city beaches, and even more fantastic restaurants. You will also be near the river and a great trip is on the water taxi down to Chinatown.

In my not so humble opinion, if in Chicago for pleasure, the only place to stay is River North. Most restaurants and shops and such are within an easy walk. Navy Pier is a modest walk. The Museum Campus is within walking distance, assuming you like to walk. :) :)

There's a Hilton Garden Inn at State and Grand which is nice and not too terribly expensive. There's also Hampton Inn about a block away.

Last I heard, the only River North hotel which still offers free parking is the Best Western River North on LaSalle and Ohio.

Be sure to photograph The Bean and try to get security to watch you! :) :) :)

Oh, and the Rockit bar and grill have an awesome burger ! I think it was made with Kobe beef or something like that. The boss was paying. :)

I'm going to make this very clear: regardless of where you stay (Gold Coast and River North are both great if they're in your budget), you need to make sure you visit Leona's for a meal. The easiest to get to will likely be the location at Belmont and Shefield, less than a block west of the Belmont stop on the Red Line. Imiss that place every day. Get anything - it's all good - but get a mozzarella stick appetizer. It is unique in all the world, and amazing.

Also, the only deep dish places in town are Lou Malnati's and Giordano's. Lou's is better if you ask me, but some will disagree. Just steer clear of Gino's, Uno's, and the other imitators.

Have fun, she's a great city!

Giordano's.

Yes!!! :) There's one on Rush at {mumble - near the Water Tower} and one on Lake, IIRC.

Also, Gino's East, Ontario and Wells, right across from Ed's, which is kind of a trip in itself. :) There are soooooo many great places to eat in there. My recent fave has to be Chicago Chop House. Spendy! Great if you're not paying. :) :) Much better than the Morton/Chris ilk!

For local Chicago fare, Portillos/Barnellis at Clark and Ontario. So many places and so few meals in a day. :) :) :)

Carsons for Ribs. Same basic area. While some parts have changed (the salads were very unique) in the 20 years I've been here, it's still great ribs and the potato au gratin ROCK.

B2 (;->

Ribs? Twin Anchors 1655 North Sedgwick . Frank Sinatra had ribs and slaw shipped to him on the road when he wasn't sitting in booth #7. Classic Chicago hangout.

Also Adam's Ribs, but I'll be damned if I can find it. ;)

A few random thoughts:

-- The new modern wing at the Art Institute is finally open, and all reports indicate a great experience (and it better be, considering that it was closed for quite a few years!).

-- A stop-off at Central Camera is worth your time, even if their prices on used gear are off the charts..

-- Vella, beneath the Western/Milwaukee stop on the Blue Line has a stellar breakfast & lunch menu, especially for the veg-only folk.

-- If you're a meat eater, the Honky-Tonk BBQ in Pilsen has the best brisket in the city, and the neighborhood itself is well worth checking out.

-- If you're a music fan, then a trip to Dusty Groove is a must, especially if you enjoy old funk LP's, and rare, reissued 60's Jazz. For a more live experience, Friday's 'happy hour' at the Empty Bottle (corner of Western/Cortez) is a great time, as the Hoyle Bros. play vintage 'trucker' country from 5-7pm. If you're a beer fan, plan on taking a cab to and from.

-- The Days Inn at the corners of Diversey/Clark/Broadway has affordable rates, and will put you within walking distance the Red Line (a 10min trip to the loop), a few good bookstores, a nice lakeside park & nature museum, etc.

-- Just my personal, but i'd recommend avoiding Wicker Park like the plague - just another once-worthwhile neighborhood trying to gentrify the world.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you look for from any city that you visit. I tend to prefer the less populated, off-the-beaten-path attractions, which seem to provide a more memorable experience.

Back