CineStill releases 400Dynamic in 135 and 120

I saw it! And I ordered some - the Lucky 7 pack of 135 film, which gives a measly $5 discount and won't be shipped till July. Also the shipping charge to Australia is a killer. Still, looking forward to trying this film out.

Preorder placed and it looks like they have enough backers for the 135mm version. I hope the positive reaction will encourage more manufacturers to continue on making films.

Have they actually RELEASED it, or are they just holding the idea hostage until enough people pony up the ransom money, er, I mean, Kickstarter backing?

Have they actually RELEASED it, or are they just holding the idea hostage until enough people pony up the ransom money, er, I mean, Kickstarter backing?

Kickstarter (and similar platforms) is a pretty established way for small outfits to get products to the market. What’s the issue?

I bought a single roll by contributing $15.00. I checked today and both the 135 and 120 campaigns are fully funded and the large format is more than halfway there. Looks like this is a fait accompli. It's welcome news to this film-only guy.

I thought the price seemed really high at $15 a roll—I'm mostly a B&W film shooter—so I checked C41 prices at B&H. Wow, pretty much everything they have in stock (which wasn't much) was in the $12–$18 a roll range. Yikes! I knew film prices were up, but I didn't realize they were up that much.

Who makes this film? Anyone know? The samples in the press release look a little yellow and desaturated, it seems to me.

Who makes this film? Anyone know? The samples in the press release look a little yellow and desaturated, it seems to me.

This is most likely Kodak 250D motion picture film with the remjet coating removed. As for the oddball sizes (120 and 4x5), if you place an order that is big enough, Kodak will cut film to that size from the master roll. Kodak is supplying Canham with oddball sheet film sizes, once the minimum order is satisfied.

Jim B.

Oh, you're right -- the writeup in the first post even surmises that's what this is. What is remjet coating?

Its a coating on the back of 35mm film made for cinema work. It protects the film base from being scratched, an issue with movie film because it moves at such high speeds through the camera (usually 24 frames per second). It also, I think, serves as an anti-halation layer. Movie films are c-41 process, but if you run them through a normal c-41 process, the remjet comes off and contaminates the chemicals. Cinestill removes it from the unexposed film so it can be used by still photographers and processed in normal photo labs.

Its a coating on the back of 35mm film made for cinema work. It protects the film base from being scratched, an issue with movie film because it moves at such high speeds through the camera (usually 24 frames per second). It also, I think, serves as an anti-halation layer. Movie films are c-41 process, but if you run them through a normal c-41 process, the remjet comes off and contaminates the chemicals. Cinestill removes it from the unexposed film so it can be used by still photographers and processed in normal photo labs.

Kodak Vision3 250D motion picture film is ECN-2 process, but yes, the remjet would contaminate C-41 process machines.

Just to give you all an idea of the profit margin Cinestill is enjoying, if you bought Vision 250D in bulk (400ft minimum) it works out to $4.22 per 36 exposure roll. Yes, this is the latest 2022 price.

I understand Cinestill no longer remove the remjet themselves as Kodak supplies it to them without it. So perhaps they charge a premium for that.

I am all for supporting Cinestill for providing this unique service (and believe me, I absolutely appreciate not having to bulk roll film myself!) But $15 a roll? That is usury.

I am all for supporting Cinestill for providing this unique service (and believe me, I absolutely appreciate not having to bulk roll film myself!) But $15 a roll? That is usury.

Demand plays its part... Milking the cow for as long (or short) as they can. Not sure if it is the best strategy but it is what it is. IMHO developing and scanning prices is closer to usury than film prices.

If I were to shoot film again, I would also develop it at home so bulk loading Vision 250D with the remjet would be no problem.

Just to give you all an idea of the profit margin Cinestill is enjoying, if you bought Vision 250D in bulk (400ft minimum) it works out to $4.22 per 36 exposure roll. Yes, this is the latest 2022 price.

I understand Cinestill no longer remove the remjet themselves as Kodak supplies it to them without it. So perhaps they charge a premium for that.

If buying 400ft rolls of Vision3 250D works for you, great.

It doesn't for me. I don't have the gear, knowledge or interest in bulk rolling, I'm absolutely not interested in buying the equivalent of ~70 rolls in one go, and I have no way of getting a ECN-2 film developed locally (or interested doing it myself). I suspect I'm not alone in this.

End of the day, for most consumers Vision3 250D and the new Cinestill offering may as well be completely different films.

If buying 400ft rolls of Vision3 250D works for you, great.

It doesn't for me. I don't have the gear, knowledge or interest in bulk rolling, I'm absolutely not interested in buying the equivalent of ~70 rolls in one go, and I have no way of getting a ECN-2 film developed locally (or interested doing it myself). I suspect I'm not alone in this.

End of the day, for most consumers Vision3 250D and the new Cinestill offering may as well be completely different films.
Hi Nick,
You must use the workflow that makes you happy, naturally. But for what it's worth, using bulk film is really easy and for the Ilford types available saves a considerable amount of money. Most of the 135 BW I shoot is from 100 foot rolls. If you are ever curious about seeing how easy it is to use bulk loaded film I would be happy to walk you through it. :)

Until a couple of months ago I might even have had a spare loader here to give you: but I have given two away in recent months. They do however come up at reasonable prices occasionally.
Cheers,
Brett

Figured I'd chime in with some additional information off their campaign website about the film being respooled Kodak 250D

Q: Is 400D a new film?
A: Yes, 400D is a new film CineStill has been developing for years with our manufacturing partners around the world.

Q: Does 400D have rem-jet?
A: No, but it does feature a process-surviving anti-static lubricant coating that makes it a great film for both manual and automatic-winding cameras.

Q: Is 400D a repackaged motion picture stock without rem-jet?
A: No.

Actually I'm a bit disappointed to read this. I was looking forward to motion picture stock.
Now I'm wondering if Fugu 400 from JCH (why has no one been discussing this proposed new film on rff?), which has the same kind of story as Cinestill is now putting out, is coming from the same mysterious 'partner'.

Back