CineStill releases 400Dynamic in 135 and 120

Olakiril, I completely agree with you, and all the other FAQ statements by Cinestill support this, which makes the parts that Fjall pointed out inconsistent and confusing. Also Cinestill's history is all about repurposing cine film, so I don't get it. I dislike the obfuscation and dissembling that these small scale manufacturer-retailers feel they need to make use of, presumably to build mystery and intrigue.

Generally I support variety--and even a middleman such as Cinestill can provide a useful service (bulk loading and packaging a unique film stock) which is absolutely worth something--

Not
$11/roll though. Just my opinion of course.

That they now join the dubious ranks of middlemen who feel compelled to try to confuse their buyers simply announces loudly that they've become victims of their own hype. And that they know they are charging too much for what they do.

They are not a manufacturer. We all know there are just 2 manufacturers capable of producing color film. And there is a 3rd possibly on the way (Orwo)--but that is a rumor at this point, and I'll believe it either when I see an actual color product from Orwo or am able to confirm it via a trusted source.

Personally I try to support only original manufacturers of film because I feel it is in my best interest that the largest percentage of every dollar, pound, euro or yen of profit go toward the future solvency of the manufacturers.

But ultimately it is up to Kodak to decide whether it wants to continue enriching the owners of Cinestill while cannibalizing sales of their own still camera films. I'm frankly surprised they have allowed and even encouraged Cinestill to do this for this long.

If Cinestill don't want random people like me to make these kinds of assessments, they are welcome to return to a policy of honest marketing and fair pricing.

Olakiril, I completely agree with you, and all the other FAQ statements by Cinestill support this, which makes the parts that Fjall pointed out inconsistent and confusing. Also Cinestill's history is all about repurposing cine film, so I don't get it. I dislike the obfuscation and dissembling that these small scale manufacturer-retailers feel they need to make use of, presumably to build mystery and intrigue.

Well, what Fjall posted doesn't strictly contradict being a 250D emulsion:

Q: Is 400D a new film?
A: Yes, 400D is a new film CineStill has been developing for years with our manufacturing partners around the world.
Translation: Kodak provides CineStill the 250D emulsion without the remjet from factory. Cinestill was first to remove the remjet, then told Kodak to provide them the emulsion without the remjet. That's the extent of "developing with our partners".

Q: Does 400D have rem-jet?
A: No, but it does feature a process-surviving anti-static lubricant coating that makes it a great film for both manual and automatic-winding cameras.
Translation: The Cinestill 400D now comes with anti-static lubricant that was previously removed in other CineStill stocks when remjet layer was removed.

Q: Is 400D a repackaged motion picture stock without rem-jet?
A: No.
Translation: Kodak provides CineStill the 250D emulsion without the remjet from factory, not recutting already existing 250D stock.

Very well structured questions, very well structured answers. Marketing at work.

But ultimately it is up to Kodak to decide whether it wants to continue enriching the owners of Cinestill while cannibalizing sales of their own still camera films. I'm frankly surprised they have allowed and even encouraged Cinestill to do this for this long.

In my opinion supporting other companies makes sense in you want to display a healthy market. It has been done in various other markets. Car & Food industries are a prime example. This semi-controlled competition is only beneficial to Kodak. Do you think you will find many that argue for any Cinestill stocks being better than Portra 400 ?

honest marketing and fair pricing.

Marketing is the art of being at the borders of honesty (unfortunately the same applies to modern politics) and fair can be defined only between two parties.

At the end of the day if you like halations straight out of camera and without messing with the remjet removal yourself, that's the price to get them.

Here is a video about film prices in South Africa.

Is CineStill 800T Worth All The Hype?

Hi Nick,
You must use the workflow that makes you happy, naturally. But for what it's worth, using bulk film is really easy and for the Ilford types available saves a considerable amount of money. Most of the 135 BW I shoot is from 100 foot rolls. If you are ever curious about seeing how easy it is to use bulk loaded film I would be happy to walk you through it. :)

Until a couple of months ago I might even have had a spare loader here to give you: but I have given two away in recent months. They do however come up at reasonable prices occasionally.
Cheers,
Brett

I think I've actually got a loader floating around in a box somewhere... I've been meaning to start bulk loading B&W, just need to choose a stock and take the time to figure out the process!

I think I've actually got a loader floating around in a box somewhere... I've been meaning to start bulk loading B&W, just need to choose a stock and take the time to figure out the process!

Nothing too complicated, very worth the little effort. Just make sure to use a good tape to stick the lips of the film from the loader and the one from the cartridge together.

The only complications come with rolls that are larger than what the loaders can handle such as the 250D. In this case you need to respool parts of it.

Olakiril, you made a good analysis of the Cinestill doublespeak. They are marketeers at the heart of it, and cynical. I just think there is no need for them to be that way. Their offerings are perfectly fine without the grandstanding.

I guess if you like the look of Vision3 film with the remjet backing removed and cross-processed in C41 chemicals, and are willing to pay more for it, knock yourself out. I don't see the draw.

If I may help in any way Nick, please don't hesitate to let me know. Very happy to show you how I do it. Bring your loader up, and we'll get you started. With great films like HP5+ and FP4+ costing roughly half that of pre-loaded cassettes it's a no-brainer. Sadly Kodak's pricing for bulk Tri-X, TMAX 400 and TMX make bulk loading that scarcely worthwhile, but there are other types of BW available in 100 foot rolls. I have had zero problems bulk loading. I just wish there were some colour options available. I've just about used up all my bulk RVP.
Cheers,
Brett

If I may help in any way Nick, please don't hesitate to let me know. Very happy to show you how I do it. Bring your loader up, and we'll get you started. With great films like HP5+ and FP4+ costing roughly half that of pre-loaded cassettes it's a no-brainer. Sadly Kodak's pricing for bulk Tri-X, TMAX 400 and TMX make bulk loading that scarcely worthwhile, but there are other types of BW available in 100 foot rolls. I have had zero problems bulk loading. I just wish there were some colour options available. I've just about used up all my bulk RVP.
Cheers,
Brett

Thanks Brett, I'll take you up on that! Just need to work through all the HP5+ and Tmax400 rolls in the fridge before I buy a bulk roll :)

Getting a bit off topic, but do you buy empty cartridges for bulk rolling or recycle used ones?

In my opinion supporting other companies makes sense in you want to display a healthy market. It has been done in various other markets. Car & Food industries are a prime example. This semi-controlled competition is only beneficial to Kodak. Do you think you will find many that argue for any Cinestill stocks being better than Portra 400 ?

Yep I totally get your point. And it's not my job to look out for Kodak's best interests if they are not interested in doing it themselves.

But we're just barely a decade away from Kodak's bankruptcy, and while things are luckily looking better for film photography, it would seem premature to regard this industry as even remotely as resilient as such widely popular and internationally diverse markets as food and cars. There's already too many players attempting to sell a very small number of original emulsions under too many different labels. It's starting to feel a bit ridiculous; but then I'm hardly new to the film photography thing, so I can't speak for the youngins'. Perhaps this quagmire of brands is stimulating to some.

Film is mostly a specialty/luxury item, and for most consumers there's a finite budget that can be spent on it. It may not be an exact 1:1 ratio but for every roll of Cinestill sold there's going to be a very real number fewer rolls of Portra, Ektar, Superia, etc. sold. I feel it gets much closer to a 1:1 ratio when Cinestill's prices approach and even overtake Kodak's as they seem to be doing.

Over-exposure seems to be a style among the hipster new-to-film set. Nice colors though, with a warm cast. Blues look a bit too understated.

So I have now shot several rolls of Cinestill 400D. I applaud Cinestill for bringing a new color film to market. Still trying to decide what I think about it. It seems to have a brownish tinge when shot at box speed. I’ve been experimenting w/ shooting it at 250 and 320, to evaluate giving it a bit more exposure. Here are some sample images:

Cinestill 400D, exposed at ISO 250, on a Rollei 35, Tessar 40/3.5 lens:

Attachments

• 0EEC2D17-9708-4630-9F32-58DBAB263AC7.jpeg
    0EEC2D17-9708-4630-9F32-58DBAB263AC7.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 9C671780-B12F-416F-A178-897EE1978D07.jpeg
    9C671780-B12F-416F-A178-897EE1978D07.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 00461BE4-5ED4-4314-932F-795EF6BCC221.jpeg
    00461BE4-5ED4-4314-932F-795EF6BCC221.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 6
I also recently shot a roll of 400D on my IIIc, using the Heliar 40mm f2.8. These were exposed at iso 320. I think I prefer this to exposing at iso 250.

Attachments

• 05B1CCDA-C073-4698-B484-623D0DA8B27E.jpeg
    05B1CCDA-C073-4698-B484-623D0DA8B27E.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1B4F9E5C-B93A-40C3-B345-05053FC64FCD.jpeg
    1B4F9E5C-B93A-40C3-B345-05053FC64FCD.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 8
Apologies for not uploading these photos so they’re full size and easy to see. I clearly haven’t figured out uploads in the new server…

Back