Colton Allen Print - Help Defeat ALS!

Swift1

Mentor
Local time
6:41 AM
I hope this is okay to post here.

As someone living with ALS, I've been blessed with lots of support. As the disease progresses, you require more and more support until finally you need 24 hour caregiving and support. I live my life nowadays with the help and support of others. Every meal I eat is fed to me, every morning I am dressed by one of my amazing caregivers and every night I am undressed and put to bed by a caregiver. Every photo I make is made with the generous help of others.
The ALS Association has been a big source of help for me and my family. When I was diagnosed, they have helped us prepare for what we were facing. They helped me get my powerchair, without which I would have almost no freedom whatsoever. They paid for me and my family to travel to Washington D.C. to advocate for more funding, more research, better Medicare coverage, and more hope for people living with ALS. They are now providing much needed help with caregiving by covering the costs of having a professional caregiver come to my house two days a week to help me and my family.
You can help right now by donating to Team SwiftSure in this year's Walk To Defeat ALS. Or you can join our team (you don't need to live here to join) and you can reach out to your friends, family, colleagues, etc. and help raise money to help people living with ALS.
Please donate, join, walk, share this link, do whatever you can to help.
And to everyone who has helped and donated, Thank You!!!
http://webor.alsa.org/goto/colton_allen

Even tho Colton can no longer walkabout, he still manages to be somewhat mobile with his chair. We do walkabout/rollabouts when he is able. He is my photo friend and I can attest to the above. I have seen the generosity from RFF members on previous occasions and this is a very worthwhile cause.

18446269071_70222c7252.jpg

Gerry Miller
Medford, Oregon

Colton, I admire your courage to keep making photos while living with such a crippling disease. Your photos tell a unique story about your community. I wish you health and happiness and I hope that you keep making photos for a very long time.
P.S. I donated via the provided link

Colton, I, too, have enjoyed your photos and have been impressed by your story. I have added my support.

- Murray

Even tho Colton can no longer walkabout, he still manages to be somewhat mobile with his chair. We do walkabout/rollabouts when he is able. He is my photo friend and I can attest to the above. I have seen the generosity from RFF members on previous occasions and this is a very worthwhile cause.

18446269071_70222c7252.jpg

Gerry Miller
Medford, Oregon

Thank you, Gerry.
Let's get out shooting soon.

Colton, I admire your courage to keep making photos while living with such a crippling disease. Your photos tell a unique story about your community. I wish you health and happiness and I hope that you keep making photos for a very long time.
P.S. I donated via the provided link

Thank you, Darshan.

Here's a bit more information on the fundraising and the ALS Association.

None of the money raised from the Walk To Defeat ALS will go directly to me, but it does go directly to helping me and my family, as well as thousands of others like me living with ALS.
Those who have or had elderly parents probably have a sense of how expensive fulltime caregiving can be. Through the funds raised in previous years, the ALS Association currently pays for a professional caregiver to be at my house for 6 hours a week. At nearly $30/hr, 6 hours a week adds up pretty quickly. The ALS Association also provides many other important services, from equipment loans, support groups, a help and guidance navigating the extremely complicated American healthcare system. The Association also funds much needed research into curing ALS, and provides advocacy within state and federal government to provide funding for research, as well as get people living with ALS better access to the medical care and coverage they need.
Last year our chapter of the ALS Association paid for Tiffany, Etta, (my wife and daughter) and I, as well as two members of the Association, to fly to Washington DC where we (along with nearly 500 other people) spent an entire day at the US Congress, where we successfully lobbied for people living with ALS. We were able to convince Congress to increase and renew Department of Defense ALS research funding of $10 million for the year (this funding needs to be approved by Congress every year), we also successfully lobbied Congress to increase and renew National Institute of Health research funding (also yearly) of $10 million, and we helped convince the US Senate and the US House Of Representatives to both pass the Steve Gleason Act, which allows Medicare to drastically improve their coverage of Speech Generating Devices, something that many people with ALS require to be able to communicate at all with other people.
During the Ice Bucket Challenge, there were some naysayers (Maclean's of Canada published a particularly nasty article) who stated that this was a waste and that there were much better ways for people to spend their limited donation funds. Subsequent research showed that the ALS Association was actually on of the best non-profit organizations in North America in terms of actually getting the money where it needed to go and not just absorbing the funds.

nice, colton, really like this photo!

ps, the ad in the sponsor classifieds doesn't have a link to the donation page, might help to add it.

Back