Commemorative Tom A Softie Designs wanted

I think Bille has done a fine job with his design at short notice, although conceptually I'm not keen on
- using someone else's corporate script.
- associating Tom with only Leica when he was so much more catholic and polymathematical (not sure about this declension).
- a design which relies on orientation to be read easily, given that a screw-in softie the button ends up randomly rotated. To this end, Scapevision's design is more reasonable.

Wonderful idea. I like something that represents Tom's deep knowledge of many RF marques, rather than just one, and his generousity in sharing that knowledge.

Wonderful mock-up so far!

I particularly love the sweetnes of Sug's idea.

32453317441_0279d60455_o.jpg

Whatever idea is chosen, I strongly agree with those who prefer to omit the dates which are a sad reminder of his passing, and focus instead on celebrating the person.

Wonderful mock-up so far!

I particularly love the sweetnes of Sug's idea.

Whatever idea is chosen, I strongly agree with those who prefer to omit the dates which are a sad reminder of his passing, and focus instead on celebrating the person.

My favorite so far, simple yet evocative. But, there have been many nice designs put forward so far; lots of talented members here.

I am not a graphics designer to do this but having his watermark from Flickr: ©Tom A. printed inside an aperture ring would be a nice design as a softie does not have a lot of room.

As Sug mentioned he, along with many more of us I'm sure (myself included) can help with the design. I would love to participate in making something commemorative to remember Tom and how much he gave to the photographic community.

How many Designers do we have on here? Let's collaborate.

This is an excellent idea!

My current favorite is graygc's 'outline portrait' design.

Followed by 25 KM's "T A" rangefinder windows

Of course the "Leica script" version is pretty cool too

As an M2 fan, I wonder if a TA "heart shape" M2 design would
be a good idea

Vest & M2

Vest & M2

Tom always wore the vest whenever I was in his presence.

In addition whenever I had the pleasure to talk with him he always had a M2.
Tom was the biggest advocate of the M2. Forever and always.

It would be nice to somehow incorporate the M2 into the design.

Things that come to my mind regarding Tom, were his M2, Vest, TriX, his Pipe, and Tuulikki. She was always by his side. Inseparable.

And of course his graciousness toward everyone. A true gentleman.

I'm not sure of the silhouetted idea. I feel like a commemorative token should be something that EVERYONE can understand and appreciate. I must have missed something because I didn't recognize the figure and I'm more likely to know being an rff member.

To us it may be a silhouette of Tom, but to others it's just a random silhouetted person that means nothing. It should mean something to everyone who sees it no matter who they are or where they are from.

Tom was the biggest advocate of the M2. Forever and always.

It would be nice to somehow incorporate the M2 into the design.

I think a lot of people here knew Tom from his posts in the Nikon RF forum, since he seemed to own a few of them. Perhaps the design can be non brand-specific?

What ever comes to fruition, I need two. The last one I got was the black eight ball. Something in red would be nice.

RE incorporating the M2: One distinctive feature of the M2 is the frame counter dial. The round shape might integrate well into the softie.

To the extent votes matter, here's another for the silhouette with the cat. There have been some fine designs proposed, several graphically striking and highly relevant to cameras, photography and rangefinders. But none of them really show a personality. The way the silhouette is standing, direct, open, and just a bit awkward, and then of course the cat next to him -- it has a personality to it. Looks like someone instantly likeable for his enthusiasms and modesty. I'd like it better if a camera were dangling from the hand but it's still my favorite as it is. I didn't know him personally, all I can claim is that I read much of what he wrote here over the past several years and very often what he wrote was really all that needed to be read on the topic. So maybe I'm not in a great position to say but I think the silhouette has character and I think that character is pretty close to his.

Back