Commemorative Tom A Softie Designs wanted

Over time I hope we see many different Tom commemorative designs, not just one.

Please keep in mind the engraver needs very simple designs in order to mass produce them.
Complicated designs simply are not possible on the very small canvas we have to work with.

Personally I am really fond of the pic with Tom and Barnack the cat.
Tomorrow I will put up a larger version.
I do think it would need to be stylized and edited a bit, to put their faces closer together.

I thought about putting a camera on Boy Tom, but I din't want to make it model/make specific. Or make the design too complicated.

I know this needs further simplification and chunkier lines, but here is an example. I made the camera abstract and ambiguous, just enough details to be able to tell it's a rangefinder, got his rapidwinder and (tho hard to see in the mockup) soft release.

31757684164_41beed9a17_o.jpg

I thought about putting a camera on Boy Tom, but I din't want to make it model/make specific. Or make the design too complicated.

I know this needs further simplification and chunkier lines, but here is an example. I made the camera abstract and ambiguous, just enough details to be able to tell it's a rangefinder, got his rapidwinder and (tho hard to see in the mockup) soft release.

I love this. I really want it to exist

Love this Sug. It makes for good conversation.

Admin, Please make this a reality :)

Thanks for lots of compliments guys. There are several great designs in this thread, and I hope more then one can come to reality over time. If Tuulikki, Stephen or others involved contacts me to use my design at some point, I'll work with them to fine-tune the design for the application and provide necessary assets.

(...)

Personally I am really fond of the pic with Tom and Barnack the cat.
Tomorrow I will put up a larger version.
I do think it would need to be stylized and edited a bit, to put their faces closer together.

Funny, that's the first picture that came to my mind, I already found a 600x450 jpg but something even bigger would be appreciated for easier PS work.

I love this design! Thanks!

I really like this design.

Just out of curiosity, how durable is the design on top of the soft release. I would want to use this soft release on one of my cameras, and would hate to rub off the design over time. Is it pretty durable?

This is wonderful. Tom, MrB and a camera with his Rapidwinder - wonderful.
I too think a design like Sug's is a much nicer commemoration to Tom than a dated commemoration.

Another idea would be to get a simplified portrait of Tom on a softie.
Whenever I think of Tom, somehow I always think of this photograph:
tomB.jpg

https://cameraquest.com/voigtMSR.htm

That smile, that is Tom to me.

Hello All!
Thank you Bille and all for great suggestions for Tom A Softie. Inspired by them Julie Kitchell a good friend of ours created this design for it
Hope you like it. Pls click on
www.rapidwinder.com
and pls see
also our Flickr-site under the signature.
I am in the process of making 100 each; regular Classic and M-Classic (typ 240 thread) to celebrate Tom's work. Part of the proceeds will also go to his
favourite charity BCSPCA.
Kind regards to all for now,
Tuulikki

Tuulikki, when/how can we get one? Couldn't find a link to buy just your update.

Best Wishes!

Ok, here´s a draft based on Leicas own commemorative signature.

2.jpg

Bille's design was RFF's best to Tuulikki,

it inspired the final design,

and so Bille will receive one of the commemortive soft releases.

Thank you Bille!

Stephen

I wasn't sure if I was going to have time to participate in this or not but having seen the final design I do have some considerations that I would like to pose from a design standpoint.

I've taken inspiration from the approved design and reworked it to have more of a leica script style. However graphic, it doesn't say leica and can be interpreted to any brand.

The type in the approved design hasn't been kerned, and the designer is using the improper dash. Also I'm not sure how easily the details will be able to be transferred over if the design is to be CNC'd on to the softie. Laser etching is another story But the main idea is to keep the linework bold and thick to keep the CNC time reasonable.

You can see my revised design of the final. Take it with a grain of salt, I did it fairly quickly. But I believe that there can be optimizations to the final design.

Yes I work in advertising, yes Im a graphic designer.

32005823014_12763108b6.jpg

Back