Compatibility of Nikon S / Contax RF lenses on Leica M with Amedeo Adapter

Email him, it seems you have a dud, I am absolutely sure Amedeo will send you a replacement or refund (he posts on this forum).

I have 3 Amedeo adapters and they are all fantastic and work perfectly, including with the lenses that you mention.

Mistakes happen. That said, with the adapter off the camera, is it still a problem to move the focus ring? Is it possible it is binding with something on the camera? I have a Leica III and my adapters work on it fine.
Hello, I emailed Amedeo and he is sending me another adapter. I think that this was the one in a hundred dud. Even off the camera, it is very difficult to turn the focus ring on the adapter... anyway, looking forward to using it. Now I`ll be able to use all my Nikkors with my leica iiic`s and Zorki 1 and 4.

Adding to the list ..

Both lenses work well with Amedeo adapter for M mount

Carl Zeiss 5cm f3.5 Tessar Rigid (Post war)
Carl Zeiss 8.5cm f2 Sonnar (Post war)

Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to buy nikon S to LTM instead of S to M? So we can use LTM-M adapter to change frameline in M if necessary? Is there any drawback from doing such (e.g. more prone to focus error)? I understand that S-M adapter will enable 50 frameline.

Thanks!

I use an Amedeo S-mount to LTM adapter (second copy actually, I had sold the first one together with a Millennium Nikkor 50/1.4) and it works with my screwmount Leicas (Leica IIIb, IIIc, IIIf) and my M-Leicas using an LTM to M-mouunt adapter. I have not experienced any focus problems but the only S-mount lenses that I have left and use are the Nikkor-H-C 5cm 1:2 and the W-Nikkor 35/2.5.

The second adapter was from another batch, the shape of the adapter base had changed to a knurled design. That adapter needed some lubrication initially because it was rather rough (I applied a tiny amount of white grease for lenses sold at Yodobashi camera in Tokyo) and now it turns very smooth.

I am looking at a Nikon-S M-adapter, but I basically see two on the Amadeo site.

A plain one:
dedicniknick.jpg

Above is the Dedicated-adapter-for-Nikon-Nikkor-S-50mm-rangefinder-to-Leica-M;
and

cna745s.jpg

On the right, a [non-dedicated?] adapter for a Nikon S2/S3 lens. but the text talks about a Nikon-S lens.

This confuses me. :confused:

1. Is the first one only 50mm, and the second one also for other types like 35/85mm?
  2. Or is it that the latter has an improved lock lever?
  3. Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?
As well I read about compatibility. Fine.
  • How does it work when another lensed is attached, for the three lines heads the movement is quite different (if I apply well what I learnt at school: a 35 mm lens travels less than a 85 mm lens to shift the same focus, i.e. moving the RF patch.
Appreciate some insight I have not seen the answers for here on this dedicated thread.

Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?

No, all Nikon rangefinder cameras have the same mount - mechanically the same as Contax RF, but spaced and geared for Leitz (51.6mm) rather than Zeiss Ikon (52.3mm) normals.

By the way, the proper terminology would be Nikon RF, not Nikon-S or Nikon-S2. The latter is too ambiguous, as "Nikkor-S" is a nomenclature actively used by Nikon themselves for lenses, while Nikon have never used a dash in its rangefinder camera naming.

When searching eBay for "Nikon-S" you'll find far more seven element SLR Nikkors than Nikon rangefinder lenses. Up to the mid seventies, Nikon had a lens nomenclature built around "Nikkor-[first letter of latin word for the number of elements]", and most sellers don't make enough of a distinction between Nikkor and Nikon.

Thanks.
Looking at it again,
maybe the difference between the two adapters is:
  • the "simple" one has a tab, this is used to focus.
  • The complex one, there the lens itself is rotated and this will be transferred via the cam to the "body/adapter" helicoid.

And if they are the same with respect to lens heads, the first one fits "better" on the M-240 because live view can be used to do a little bit of semi-macro.

Thanks.
Looking at it again,
maybe the difference between the two adapters is:
  • the "simple" one has a tab, this is used to focus.
  • The complex one, there the lens itself is rotated and this will be transferred via the cam to the body helicoid.

Wrong. The "simple" ("dedicated") one has only the internal bayonet - hence it will only fit the 50mm lens. The more complex regular one has both the internal and external bayonet, and will fit 50mm lenses as well as wides and teles.

1. Is the first one only 50mm, and the second one also for other types like 35/85mm?
  2. Or is it that the latter has an improved lock lever?
  3. Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?

Yes the first is only for 50mm lenses that fit using the internal bayonet. Note some 50mm lenses fit externally only (eg a version of the f1.1 lens)

No

No, all Nikon rangefinders use the same mount.

Note some Nikon rangefinder lenses lenses will still not mount to the Leica even with the 'universal" adapter as they physically interfere with the Leica focussing mechanism eg the 3.5cm f1.8

Jon, I've made a test shot with the CZ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 I got from you. Lovely to put such an old lens sometimes on a Nikon. Contrast is pretty good. Nice old fashioned effect.

Nikon S2, CZ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 prewar uncoated, Tmax400.

Erik.

23835677555_13781a23e2_c.jpg

Disgressing from the Amedeo adapters initial topic,
a couple of 35 W Nikkor 1.8 S lenses from the 2000 S3 set were modified to M mount by Miyazaki San.
I bought one of them from a RFF member some time ago.

The reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens is from the SP Limited Edition set released in 2005. The S3 2000 sets came with the Millennium Nikkor-S 50mm F1.4 lens, which is a reissue of the Olympic Nikkor from the early 1960s. I know of three reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lenses that have been converted to M-mount by Miyazaki-san, and I personally got two of them converted. I do not recommend the conversion though as its a destructive one way conversion. Once converted, its not possible to restore the lens to its original form. Also, the focus cam is a just a piece of plastic tube that is glued on and filed down to shape. I spent hours carefully filing down that plastic on one of the lenses I got converted to fix severe back focusing.

The reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens is from the SP Limited Edition set released in 2005. The S3 2000 sets came with the Millennium Nikkor-S 50mm F1.4 lens, which is a reissue of the Olympic Nikkor from the early 1960s. I know of three reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lenses that have been converted to M-mount by Miyazaki-san, and I personally got two of them converted. I do not recommend the conversion though as its a destructive one way conversion. Once converted, its not possible to restore the lens to its original form. Also, the focus cam is a just a piece of plastic tube that is glued on and filed down to shape. I spent hours carefully filing down that plastic on one of the lenses I got converted to fix severe back focusing.

Yes, thanks for correcting my post, my bad about writing too fast and mixing up the SP and S3 editions .
My 35 1.8 W Nikkor is fine focus wise and has sn 2042.

Cheers, JM.

Hey guys, I will receive a Nikkor-N 50 1.1 external mount very soon. I have a Nikon SP but still want to use the lens on Leica M digital. Is there any adapter that could allow to use this lens on Leica M9, M10 and focus properly? Thanks.

Kevin

Unless Amedeo has stopped making them, the adapter that includes the external bayonet should work.

Here in the U.S., Cameraquest sells them:
https://shop.cameraquest.com/nikon-...x-rangefinder-mount-to-leica-m-mount-adapter/

Of course, individual lenses (& adapters) vary even when they're made to proper specifications, focus shift can be a problem w/fast designs like the 5cm/1.1 Nikkor-N (IIRC, it's a stretched Sonnar or is that the Zunow?), & digital is much less forgiving than film. Based on my personal experience, I would guess that there's at least a 50% chance that you will get significant back or front focus on a digital M even if both lens & adapter(s) are within spec. That's 1 nice thing about having Sony full-frame bodies as backups!

KEVIN-XU 愛 forever;2839103 said:
Hey guys, I will receive a Nikkor-N 50 1.1 external mount very soon. I have a Nikon SP but still want to use the lens on Leica M digital. Is there any adapter that could allow to use this lens on Leica M9, M10 and focus properly? Thanks.

Kevin

I saw a CZ Tessar 50mm in Contax-I mount (so very early, probably pre-war).
Is that also compatible with the Amadeo adapter?
Tessar.jpg
(seen at KEH)

Yes, the internal mount adapter should work, but as I noted in the previous post, individual lenses, adapters, & cameras vary even when they conform to specifications, so you may experience front or back focusing, etc. Not a problem if you're using a mirrorless or other body w/live view, obviously, but something to keep in mind if you have to rely on an actual rangefinder.

I saw a CZ Tessar 50mm in Contax-I mount (so very early, probably pre-war).
Is that also compatible with the Amadeo adapter?
View attachment 107841
(seen at KEH)

Last edited:
Hello Everybody,
I just pick an Helios-103 53/1.8 and I'm trying to mount it on my Contax/LeicaM Amedeo adapter. It just stop mounting at half run, does anyone had this same issue?

Thank you very much for the information you've provided! You are right. My Nikkor 50 1.1 with Amedeo adapter has focus shift problem on both my Leica M10 and M9. So I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the focus on the Amedeo adapter.

Unless Amedeo has stopped making them, the adapter that includes the external bayonet should work.

Here in the U.S., Cameraquest sells them:
https://shop.cameraquest.com/nikon-...x-rangefinder-mount-to-leica-m-mount-adapter/

Of course, individual lenses (& adapters) vary even when they're made to proper specifications, focus shift can be a problem w/fast designs like the 5cm/1.1 Nikkor-N (IIRC, it's a stretched Sonnar or is that the Zunow?), & digital is much less forgiving than film. Based on my personal experience, I would guess that there's at least a 50% chance that you will get significant back or front focus on a digital M even if both lens & adapter(s) are within spec. That's 1 nice thing about having Sony full-frame bodies as backups!

Back