Confused about how to select framelines.

rpavich

Established
Local time
9:56 AM
I just took delivery of my M8 and the lens that I bought with it; a Voigtlander 40mm F/1.4 Nokton Classic. I set the camera up but I'm confused about the framelines. I was under the impression that I could set them manually if using a non-leica/coded lens. I understand that 40mm doesn't really correspond to anything like 28mm/35mm/50mm but I was just looking for something approximate. As it is, the default frame lines that come up aren't even close.

Is there a way to set them to say "50mm" or do I have to do a lens coding job on the lens itself?

PS: I have a 28mm Elmarit V4 that I plan to use most of the time but this will hold me for a couple of days while I wait.

Either take a Dremel to the lens or learn to love the 50mm framelines. The framelines are set by the size of one of the locking lugs.

You could use the frameline selector lever but you'd have to hold the selection yourself.

Either take a Dremel to the lens or learn to love the 50mm framelines. The framelines are set by the size of one of the locking lugs.

You could use the frameline selector lever but you'd have to hold the selection yourself.

Ok, so it's a DIY coding job...that's fine, I just thought I missed something in the manual, that's all.

Now off to fine a coding template for that lens :)

No, it's a DIY filing or grinding job on the lens. The framelines are selected by a lever in the body that's depressed by one of the lens lugs. You have to find the right lug and file it down a bit (about 1mm, I think) so that it selects the 35mm instead of 50mm frameline.

Does it came with manual? If not, dowload and read all of it. With camera in hands and following manual.

Does it came with manual? If not, dowload and read all of it. With camera in hands and following manual.

I downloaded the manual and read with camera in hand, not everything was crystal clear to me, which is why I asked the questions.

I just took delivery of my M8 and the lens that I bought with it; a Voigtlander 40mm F/1.4 Nokton Classic. I set the camera up but I'm confused about the framelines. I was under the impression that I could set them manually if using a non-leica/coded lens. I understand that 40mm doesn't really correspond to anything like 28mm/35mm/50mm but I was just looking for something approximate. As it is, the default frame lines that come up aren't even close.

Is there a way to set them to say "50mm" or do I have to do a lens coding job on the lens itself?

When the lens is mounted the framelines adjust automatically, in this case to 50mm.

Of course, that equates to about ~67mm field of view, due to the 1.33 crop.

The set of 50/75 framelines are actually pretty darn small in the M8 viewfinder...

viewfinderview-50_75.jpeg

I'd suggest getting a viewfinder magnifier. The M8 is only 0.68x life-size, using a 1.25x magnifier will put the M8 almost in M3 territory in terms of RF accuracy (0.85x.) Although this makes the 24mm frames more difficult to use.

To use the 40mm Nokton with 35mm frames, use the preview lever, or you could have the bit of metal on the lens mount shaved, as mentioned above.

Well...this topic is moot now. I'm sending the M8 back due to a menu fault and some unexplained black blob on the pictures.

I'm looking into getting a TYP 262. I like the lack of live view and video and it's certainly more affordable than similar bodies.

Well...this topic is moot now. I'm sending the M8 back due to a menu fault and some unexplained black blob on the pictures.

I'm looking into getting a TYP 262. I like the lack of live view and video and it's certainly more affordable than similar bodies.

The M typ 262 is worth while. I thought it supported use of the EVF, dunno. The M-D typ 262 didn't but then it didn't have an LCD at all. :)

The 40mm lens will always pick the 50mm frame lines unless you modify the frame lever cam. Personally, I never modified mine: just got used to what the lens sees and framed using the 50mm lines as a guide. Whenever you modify a lens from stock, it reduces the value of the lens should you ever choose to sell it (unless you find a buyer who specifically wants the same modification). It's a pretty small and fussy modification, easy to get wrong, so I didn't want to take the risk.

G

One final word from me. It strikes me on re reading your original posts (and we have not explained in the words I am about to use) that you perhaps do not comprehend that the framelines on M cameras are brought up by a purely mechanical linkage, not electronic or in any other way. And the rangefinder itself works on purely mechanical linkages also. An M is OLD technology so many who are new to M cameras may not appreciate that it uses old technology to achieve its ends. If you want the 40mm lens to bring up 35mm framelines automatically (i.e. other than using the manual framelines lever each time) you have to have the back of the lens modified by grinding away some metal so the mechanical linkage in the camera reacts differently when that lens is mounted.

Back