Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn - Panasonic GX9

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
9:35 AM
The conjunction of planets Jupiter and Saturn was clearly visible in the sky at 6:51pm when I got up to the roof of my building. I made this first photo at 6:55 ... and just after I did so, the air filled with mist and cloud and the view was lost.

Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction

As I looked at the photo on my computer display, I realized there was more in it than just the two planets. I cropped away about 90% of the frame and now I could clearly see three of the Galilean Satellites of Jupiter.

Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction (cropped)

Seen from Santa Clara on Dec 21, 2020.

tech info:
Panasonic GX9 + Sigma 600mm Mirror Telephoto
ISO 25,800 @ f/8 @ 1/8 sec

Enjoy! G

The weather here in Melbourne has kept this from us so far. I have enjoyed the planets over the last few months and could see the moons of Jupiter even with 10x25 binoculars. On many nights I could see even with the naked eye the faint yellow orange tinge of Jupiter. That has never struck me before. Perhaps the pandemic and the closeness of Jupiter allowed it. Clear skies later in the week. Well done with what you’ve captured.

Thanks for sharing Godfrey, I wonder if that's a 4th moon appearing as a faint smudge just beyond the "corona" but in line with the others?

I was a little disappointed that the mist rose so quickly as I was trying to drop the ISO and the total exposure a little bit to see if I could get more of the striations in the Jovian atmosphere, but such it is.

I'm happy that I got this much; I only had about 8 minutes of setup and shooting by the time I collected all the equipment together* and the building manager unlocked the roof access for me. :)

(* I don't use a 600mm lens on mFT all that often... the lens and adapters were pretty deeply buried! LOL!)

G

Thank you for sharing. My area was too cloudy to see it last night, and it looks like it will be again tonight, so I appreciate the view.

I got an amazing view right from my desk. I have a little 20x spotting scope I use for birds and wildlife and could easily see 3 of Jupiter's moons and that Saturn had rings.

I was hoping someone would post images of the great alignment. Thank you, Godfrey. Here in BC, we had complete cloud cover, with terrible snowstorms all across the province. Hopefully, tonight will offer a belated second chance.

Great Conjunction of 2020

Great Conjunction of 2020

While not a M4/3 camera, I shot it with a crop sensor Nikon D500 using a 500/5.6 and 2x TC-20E III. It's just a matter of getting a sufficiently long lens mounted on any digital camera. My next attempt would be to use a telescope as a prime and adding a 2x converter or Barlow for even greater magnification.

attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC7814.jpg
    _DSC7814.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
The main thing, Godfrey, is that you got the shot. I never had a chance with rain and gusting winds blowing through the valley that evening (after having clear blue skies for most of the day). However, I came across a different type of conjunction today on my way home from photographing an abandoned industrial site. Too bad the LX100M2 doesn't have a longer zoom on it.

Mini-Conjunction by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

While not a M4/3 camera, I shot it with a crop sensor Nikon D500 using a 500/5.6 and 2x TC-20E III. It's just a matter of getting a sufficiently long lens mounted on any digital camera. My next attempt would be to use a telescope as a prime and adding a 2x converter or Barlow for even greater magnification.

attachment.php

I don't understand the 'while not a M4/3 camera' comment. I just happen to have mFT cameras and the adapters that let me use my longest lens, an effective 1200mm FoV in 35FF terms. I had no time to make the adjustments I wanted for better quality imaging ... the clouds and mist occluded the view too quickly.

Your D500 with a 500/5.6 and 2x teleconverter has a 1500mm eqFOV, a sufficiently long lens, and you obviously had the time to get a decent exposure. That's a good shot, although not made at the time of closest proximity it seems. Good stuff!

I was thinking of using my Leica CL, actually, as its sensor is a little cleaner than the Panasonic sensor. But I used the Panasonic because I couldn't locate my Nikon F to M-bayonet mount that I needed to mount the lens quickly enough. :)

G

I don't understand the 'while not a M4/3 camera' comment. I just happen to have mFT cameras and the adapters that let me use my longest lens, an effective 1200mm FoV in 35FF terms. I had no time to make the adjustments I wanted for better quality imaging ... the clouds and mist occluded the view too quickly.

Your D500 with a 500/5.6 and 2x teleconverter has a 1500mm eqFOV, a sufficiently long lens, and you obviously had the time to get a decent exposure. That's a good shot, although not made at the time of closest proximity it seems. Good stuff!

I was thinking of using my Leica CL, actually, as its sensor is a little cleaner than the Panasonic sensor. But I used the Panasonic because I couldn't locate my Nikon F to M-bayonet mount that I needed to mount the lens quickly enough. :)

G

I think, Godfrey, he was referring to the fact this is the M4/3 sub-forum, and was apologizing for posting something not taken by an M4/3 camera. If this had been in Words/No Words instead, awilder likely wouldn't have even thought twice about the fact he used an APS-C camera.

PF

I think, Godfrey, he was referring to the fact this is the M4/3 sub-forum, and was apologizing for posting something not taken by an M4/3 camera. If this had been in Words/No Words instead, awilder likely wouldn't have even thought twice about the fact he used an APS-C camera.

LOL! Thank you, never even thought of that. :)

G

Back