Contax II, need help with recognizing rarity

classictr

Local time
5:30 PM
Hello guys, I got Contax II camera with serial number "A.48616", I suppose its one of the earliest, 1936 year. I coudn't find anything on the market with "A" letter, so the question is how rare (or not) it is and how much may it cost in working condition?

Attachments

• photo116522.jpg
    photo116522.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 29
  • photo116523.jpg
    photo116523.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 29
My understanding is that A. is simply the year prefix. In this case 1936 as you say. Others will give their opinion as to value.

According to the Kuc book there were only 2,000 Contaxes made with the A prefix, so it's rare in that regard. But I don't think that results in greater value than for any other Contax II or III.

The lens is a wartime Sonnar, 5cm F1.5. Does it have a red "T" on the namering?

The wartime Sonnars are among the finest performers.

The lens is a wartime Sonnar, 5cm F1.5. Does it have a red "T" on the namering?

The wartime Sonnars are among the finest performers.
I does have T. Is it really a wartime Sonnar? I thought it's 1959-1961.

Attachments

• photo116526.jpg
    photo116526.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo116527.jpg
    photo116527.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 20
  • photo116528.jpg
    photo116528.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 20
Hartmut Thiele's book of CZJ lenses shows that records for 5cm f1.5 Sonnars for serial numbers 2789301 to 2790300 are missing. Adjacent ranges of serial numbers suggest that the lens was probably produced in late 1941

"According to the excellent "benchmarks" book by Foto Saga in France, ISBN 2-906840-06-8, the first letter before the serial number denotes a block of 99,999 serial numbers -- not all of which were always issued: Z 1935/6, A 1936, B 1936, C 1936/7, D 1937, E 1937, F 1937/8, G 1938, J 1938/9, K 1939, L 1939, M 1940/42, N 1941/3. Keep in mind the code was also used for other Zeiss cameras, so these codes do not indicate total Contax production."
Sent to me from Henry Sherer

I does have T. Is it really a wartime Sonnar? I thought it's 1959-1961.

This is a Wartime Sonnar. The West German 50mm F1.5 Sonnars started the Serial Numbers over.
The Carl Zeiss Jena Serial numbers- different dates, and yours is a wartime lens.

This is a Wartime Sonnar. The West German 50mm F1.5 Sonnars started the Serial Numbers over.
The Carl Zeiss Jena Serial numbers- different dates, and yours is a wartime lens.

Carl Zeiss Jena indicates it was made in the East. Most Post War were just Carl Zeiss (intially) or Carl Zeiss Optron, made in Oberkochen. I think Carl Zeiss Jena did continue making lenses post-war, but were rarer for the Contax.

Carl Zeiss Jena indicates it was made in the East. Most Post War were just Carl Zeiss (intially) or Carl Zeiss Optron, made in Oberkochen. I think Carl Zeiss Jena did continue making lenses post-war, but were rarer for the Contax.

The 5cm F2 and 5cm F1.5 post-war Sonnars are different designs from the wartime lenses. SN of the new design is around the 3Million mark.
The lens shown here was made during the war.

CZJ definitely made Contax RF lenses after the war. Indeed, Zeiss Ikon introduced the Contax IIa/IIIa before they had reestablished lens works at Oberkochen, so many early IIa/IIIas were sold with CZJ lenses. Even after Oberkochen was up to speed, the CZJ lenses were cheaper & a popular budget alternative to Zeiss-Opton/CZ glass, especially here in the U.S. Most of the CZJ Contax lenses were coated versions of the pre-WWII designs in alloy barrels, sort of a continuation of wartime production, but they also made some excellent lenses that were never produced in the West, like the 3.5cm/2.8 Biometar.

I have a 50mm F2 CZJ with serial number 310XXXX which Skyllaney calls a Coburg Sonnar, made after Zeiss fled Jena but before they settled in Oberkochen. It has red T and East German glass. Very nice results with this glass. Not quite, mechanically as the final design Zeiss settled on.

The Post War Jena 5cm F2 and 5cm F1.5 are both different from the wartime versions. Also, of course, the West German 50mm F2 and 50mm F1.5 are different from the Jena wartime versions.

I have all of them. I need a Second Sonnar article, will be coming. Work has been very busy.
Thank you, Brian. No pressure from me. But will look forward to reading whatever more you have to say about the Sonnars in due course.
Cheers,
Brett

Hello, I am digging up this topic because I am really curious about the shutter button. Does anyone know which model it is ? Also, the winding knob looks very unique, is it a feature of the early models ?

According to Hans-Jurgen Kuc's On trail of the contax. Volume 1, the early A series cameras had the vertical-only knurling on the winding knob like the one in the first post. The thing on top of the shutter is most likely an after-market "soft release". I dont know of any such accessory made by Zeiss Ikon.

According to Hans-Jurgen Kuc's On trail of the contax. Volume 1, the early A series cameras had the vertical-only knurling on the winding knob like the one in the first post. The thing on top of the shutter is most likely an after-market "soft release". I dont know of any such accessory made by Zeiss Ikon.
I agree, whatever it is it is screwed into a shutter release that matches my Contax III of much the same vintage. I don't know what it is or who made it, but it's obviously period and matches the camera's style rather well.

I wish this book was available to me. Everywhere, I see it unavailable since long, it seems to be a rarity and a brilliant ressource on the matter. Many thanks for the answers, I will keep on searching for this "soft release" and keep you updated if I find anything. :)

Back