Cosina Voigtlander F-S adapter clones

rbsinto

Well-known
Local time
10:35 AM
I have been corresponding with Amedeo Muscelli about him machining an F-S lens adapter for me, (and perhaps anyone else here who'd like one, and missed out when Cameraquest ran out of the CV stock).
I directed him to Stephen's site where I found a couple of photos that show the adapter, but not in any detail.
Amedeo has asked for some close-up photos to help him do the CAD programming, but I have no idea where to find any. I'd appreciate if anyone here who either has a CV version or knows of anyone elsewhere who I could ask for some close-up shots of one, it would be greatly appreciated.
Please and thank you.
Robert

An excellent idea. Does anyone have photos to help out?

A curiosity I found with the small production runs at Cosina is the opposite of supply-demand; instead of making a second batch, the desirable items become collectibles. This was among their most popular Nikon RF-related items and was among the first to sell out. Of course, everything is relative. The first production run was probably only 200 or 300 units, and nobody's going to make much profit off something at that scale.

Did CV decide there wasn't enough market? Sounds odd that one would go through the trouble to produce a successful product then just drop it. ???

CV discontinued the entire Nikon S/Contax C line when sales didn't meet expectations, and although Cameraquest continues to sell the line, it consists of what's left of the original inventory with no new S/C products, or re-issuing of any depleted stocks.
And so far, my request for help in getting some new F-S adapters made has been met with a thunderous silence.
It's as if they never existed. No one has one, or knows anyone who has one, and might take a few close-up shots to help out.
I'd contact Cosina directly if I could find an email address for Mr. Kobayashi.
If they've chosen not to make any more and the mount information is so old that patents wouldn't be violated there really is no compelling reason why they couldn't help with some photos or specs.
Anyone?
I'm trying to get this done for those of us who'd like the adapter, but I really need some help or it isn't going to happen.

I had one of these adapters briefly but sold it along with an F-mount Heliar 15mm lens.

Why did I sell it? Because I didn't find it to be particularly useful.

Except for the Heliar, none of my F-mount wide angle lenses worked on it. Basically, any lens with a rear element that protrudes past the lens mount and is not narrow enough to fit through the S-mount internal lens mount opening cannot be mounted because the rear element comes into contact with the S-mount helicoid. That means most wide angle Nikkors.

50mm and longer lenses don't have elements that protrude out the back past the lens mount, so can be mounted. But good luck scale focusing them.

A mythical object!
Use your F lenses on a RF Nikon!
Really?

65 years gone and it never happened!
it doesn't exist!
It's not happenin! Amedeo better come up with something really good! Copying the Cosina version isn't going to work!

A while ago, I commissioned him to make a deep rear cap with the NK logo, I needed one to protect my 1.1 rear element, at the time he was making them with Zeiss logos! He asked for a picture and he made one....
Nice guy, who would do that?

Kiu

If RFF is any guide, there probably are fewer than 200-400 Nikon RF users worldwide at any given time (just an educated guess). More cameras are "collected" but not used and a lot simply slosh through dealer inventory.

It wasn't a large market, and most Nikon RF users are, by definition, not looking for new innovative gear and lenses.

The F-S adapter was particularly interesting because it would allow mating an F-mount 2.1cm lens to an RF body. But since then, CV released 21mm lenses that allow user prices for that focal length.

Here are a few photos of the CV F-S adapter. It is shown joining an F mount 2.1/4 on a Nikon S body. The adapter - body mount is a breech lock affair, similar in operation to the Canon FD manual lenses.

i_zps7ee9db12.jpg

g_zpsc5f0ce68.jpg

f_zps241e8159.jpg

c_zps3c754c20.jpg

a_zpsef00f1fc.jpg

h_zpsdaa91856.jpg

Any Machinist will tell you he needs a complete blue print drawing with all the accurate measurements on it, or a complete accurate copy of one in his hand to make these.

Notice the little extrusion designed to work with the 2.1cm lens.

I've heard at least one report that the 2.1cm lens doesn't work well with the adapter, but obviously James' works fine.

I've heard at least one report that the 2.1cm lens doesn't work well with the adapter, but obviously James' works fine.

The F-mount 2.1cm does mount on the F-S adapter, but not smoothly like the Voigtlander 12mm and 15mm Heliars. Some fiddling is required to get it on there. That was my experience anyway.

I don't doubt it, it takes some fiddling to mount it onto an F or F2!

I wonder if it's better to mount the adapter to the camera first, and then the lens, or the lens first to the adapter, and then the whole assembly onto the camera...

I don't doubt it, it takes some fiddling to mount it onto an F or F2!

I wonder if it's better to mount the adapter to the camera first, and then the lens, or the lens first to the adapter, and then the whole assembly onto the camera...

Mounting the lens/adapter combo on the camera is straightforward. Mounting the lens on the adapter is the tricky bit. From memory, the instructions state that the adapter is not designed to work with the F-mount 2.1cm, and its a very tight fit getting the lens through the adapter so it can be mounted.

...the instructions state that the adapter is not designed to work with the F-mount 2.1cm, and its a very tight fit getting the lens through the adapter so it can be mounted.

Why would they have the little nub to mate with the 2.1cm lens then? Unless I'm misconstruing that extrusion in the photos?

Why would they have the little nub to mate with the 2.1cm lens then? Unless I'm misconstruing that extrusion in the photos?

Its been a while since I've handled the adapter and any of the mentioned lenses, but suspect the nub is designed for the F-mount Heliar 12mm and 15mm. I think the adapter was designed to work with these two lenses first and foremost (Voigtlander adapter for Voigtlander lenses) and if any other lenses happen to mount on the adapter, then that's a bonus.

>>Any Machinist will tell you he needs a complete blue print drawing with all the accurate measurements on it, or a complete accurate copy of one in his hand to make these.<<

Anyone with access to Nikon RF and Nikon F cameras has access to the accurate measurements/variables, and the designer has worked with these before.

Thanks, James, for posting the images. I'm sure that helps quite a lot.

After James24 was kind enough to post the photos of the adapter, I emailed Amedeo Muscelli with a link to this thread, and this is the reply I received from him tonight:

Hello Robert,

This is a easy adapter, the only part with some difficulty is the lock button for to release the adapter from the S mount, I can´t see it on this adapter
so will make my own design.

The next week I take christmas vacation from my main work, and will have time to design it, will keep you informed.

Regards,
Amedeo.

I am not involved in this venture in any way other than as someone who wants an adapter for himself, so I advise anyone who is interested in buying one if and when Amedeo makes them to contact him directly.
Robert

lock button

lock button

There is no lock button, since it is a breech lock. You just tighten it on the camera. WES

Back