Votes: 115 60.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.7%

• Total voters

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
7:57 PM
I'm thinking of how the M5 was unloved when it came out, and for a while thereafter. Today, many of us love and use one (raises hand). With the benefit of time, why would not the M8 (or M8.2, or M8u), the first Leica digital cameras, rise to collectible status? I think only a few were made, compared to the flood of post-M8 models, and that ought to add "rarity" to their collectible status, no? So perhaps in time, the M8 could join the Barnacks, the M5, and the original MP as collectibles.

What do you think?

A classic paperweight, maybe.

The M5 wasn't well received at the time for numerous reasons, but the M5 was fully functional and can still be repaired today, at least mechanically (don't know about the light metering).

The M8 needed special UV filters to work properly. It wasn't full frame so you didn't have the full use of the good wide angle lenses Leica makes. And it's no longer repairable a few years after its discontinuation due to lack of parts.

If anything, it will go down Leica history as a prototype stepping stone for Leica to enter the digital age. A classic in my mind needs to be able to stand the test of time.

I think that the thing that will stop any current digital camera, including the M8, from becoming "classic" is that the media will become obsolete, and the cameras rendered unusable.

I don't think SD or CF cards will be with us very much longer, because of the increasingly desired video capabilities of new cameras. As the demand for 4K video and beyond increases, and ever more capable codecs require much faster cards, SD and CF cards will completely disappear. While expensive right now, CFAST cards are going to quickly obsolete SD to fill that need for super fast cards.

Remember MMC cards? I have a couple of old digital cameras that used them. The cards, while not heavily used, no longer function in the cameras.

It's a classic now.

Files from the M8 may be looked at with similar nastalgia to Kodachrome in the future.

The camera itself will be kaput someday..... nothing classic about that.

Because Digital Cameras fail a lot sooner than film cameras, Probably not.

Though as Leica's first DRF, it will hold that spot forever.

It's a classic now.

Files from the M8 may be looked at with similar nastalgia to Kodachrome in the future.

The camera itself will be kaput someday..... nothing classic about that.

+1 a digital classic, yep

as Helen says, it's especially nice with a 28 (sweet spot framelines)

This concept of "classic" is all wrong.

Its price will never start to go up, suddenly, because it's a "classic".

2022: "Hey look, the M8 is now officially a Classic. It'll start selling for 450$ instead of the current 385$ mark"

What does "classic" have to do with value increase, or even retention for that matter?

I think it has personality, and in that sense, is classic. It has glaring flaws and can produce stunning results, like many classics do.

If I had spare cash to throw around, I'd pick one up as a second body in a heartbeat. But digital things will never have the longevity of their analog counterparts.

I don`t think so.
I think that it will be remembered with some affection but not in quite in the way in which we currently define the term classic ...

There will come a time when the M8 can no longer be repaired. Even now, I don't know if the M8 sensor can be replaced. So unless parts and repairs can be done for many years, I doubt that the M8 will become a classic.

Still use and love my M8. It's my go to camera for just about everything. Yet to have a client complain because I used it for a shoot. I've done sports, portraits, concerts, still life, landscape, etc. with my camera. It's the first one I reach for, and the tool that fits how I see.

Classic status? I don't know if I would go that far. Perhaps for it's ability to do IR and regular photography (I see that as a built in bonus).

A digital camera is essentially a computer with a lens attached to it, IMHO, much like a cell phone. When computers get old they are worthless. Notice how old computers loose all there value except for maybe the first or who owned it. I think that will be the same with digital cameras. Digital cameras are also much like telephones and typewriters. There are a few prototypes that are collectible but for the most part they were ubiquitous.

Back