Could the M8 become a "classic?"

• Yes

Votes: 50 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.7%

• Total voters
I think it qualifies as a classic, if any camera made in my lifetime qualifies as such. I bought my M8.2 from the RFF classifieds back in 2018. I don't remember the count when I bought it, but it now has 48,000 actuations and appears to be working just fine. I suppose it'll die some day, but so will I. That's not unique; many all-mechanical cameras are only repairable by cannibalizing spares from a limited pool of donor bodies.

I actually suspect that certain well-loved digital cameras will become more repairable as time goes on. It seems counterintuitive, but it's already happening with early home computers and other consumer electronics which were previously unrepairable. The main hinderance is that most manufacturers (sadly including Leica) hoard support information for long-discontinued cameras like trade secrets, which is foolish and unhelpful. As CHDK and Magic Lantern on Canon digital cameras demonstrate, when companies soften their stance toward community tinkering it allows wonderful things to happen.

As far as I got to know the Leica company in their various departments, they have no interest in jeopardizing their reputation by supporting DIY handicrafts.
Then they will be more likely to accept an end of the used digital camera and promote the sale of a new one.
What can perhaps still be exchanged for standard components in old computers with huge quantities and a lot of space inside cannot be compared with the highly specialized hard- and software of digital cameras.
Especially since Leica is dependent on suppliers for sensors and mainboards and e.g. the software for the M8 and M9 was developed by Zeiss/Jenoptik.
For hobbyists there are enough old mechanical Leicas.

As far as I got to know the Leica company in their various departments, they have no interest in jeopardizing their reputation by supporting DIY handicrafts.
Then they will be more likely to accept an end of the used digital camera and promote the sale of a new one.
What can perhaps still be exchanged for standard components in old computers with huge quantities and a lot of space inside cannot be compared with the highly specialized hard- and software of digital cameras.
Especially since Leica is dependent on suppliers for sensors and mainboards and e.g. the software for the M8 and M9 was developed by Zeiss/Jenoptik.
For hobbyists there are enough old mechanical Leicas.

Unless, of course, you have an M8 or an M9. I understand the dynamics of the marketplace. But some how it just does not seem right. Color me naive.

It's not really jeopardizing their reputation, though, except in their imaginations. All those generations of wonderful mechanical Leica cameras have been kept working by those very same DIY handicrafters, and experience demonstrates that no one really blames Leica if repaired gear is not in like-new operating condition.

"What can perhaps still be exchanged for standard components in old computers with huge quantities and a lot of space inside cannot be compared with the highly specialized hard- and software of digital cameras."

A valid point. Unfortunately a lot of what were were once standard components are no longer available, and that's been where recent innovations have saved the day. Hobbyists have used new FPGAs and microcontrollers to reverse-engineere brand new drop-in replacements for proprietary chips that haven't been made in 40 years. They've written new firmware to make modern peripherals replace ancient hardware. They've worked out how to do microscopic rework of surface-mount components that even the original manufacurers never intended to be repairable.

Doing the same with digital cameras would definitely have serious challenges, but hobbyists are ingenious at figuring out how to fix unfixable things. Unlike a lot of throwaway technology, digital Leicas are loved and valued enough that there's an incentive to keep them going, and I'd really like to give them a chance.

... All those generations of wonderful mechanical Leica cameras have been kept working by those very same DIY handicrafters, and experience demonstrates that no one really blames Leica if repaired gear is not in like-new operating condition. ...
May be my aversion to tinkering with old Barnacks is caused by too many seen Leicas with bad synchronizations afterwards, as the connection socket was installed at most unlikely places.
After all, this gives photographers a chance to buy cheaper old Leicas with only little value to collectors.

Back