Covid, Economics, and Your way of 'Seeing'...

Maybe I am shooting less - here in Oz the streets are still quieter than normal though the restrictions have largely come off (in my state but not all).
What this means for me is that I am going back and looking more closely at old images - some of which I shot years ago to see if there is something to them that I have over looked. There often is, allowing me to make new images out of old images. I have also been able to make time to go back and digitize a whole bunch of old slides that are perhaps 30 years old. That has been interesting. Some appear in my Flickr site.
As to my style of shooting nothing much has changed. I try to do one simple thing - make images that have eye appeal. That's it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it works for some people but not most. Sometimes its the other way around. And so on. But in general, if the image I shoot is appealing and intriguing I am happy.
No messages, no ideology. Just art as best I can do it.

This for example I did shoot recently. There is nothing to it really except the poster of the man in a turban caught my eye.

City Side Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

No new equipment, difficult to get out to photograph, but I am still developing film and taking photos. Medium Format seems to be the easiest for me at this time. Although I still use my favorite Tmax100 in 35mm (besides 120).

Here is one of my outings to Noah's Bagels (digital):

Pentax K1 ColorPerfect by John Carter, on Flickr

I thought the pandemic shutdown would be good for me so I would be forced to stay at home and clear up this fifty year accumulation of stuff I either don't need anymore, or never really put to good use. And that includes a lot of camera gear.

However, by shutting things down, that also took away my avenue of disposing of items for cash as all the outlets I could have used were no longer open.

Then health issues threw me for a loop. I kept getting my planned procedures rescheduled only to have it happen again, so I find myself five months or more behind where I should have been in the treatment cycle. And some of the medicines I were given didn't help matters either. One of them is the prime suspect in the heart attack I suffered, which now has changed the treatment plans my doctors had originally designed, and caused a lengthier recovery from what procedures I had already undertaken.

So there is not much I've done photographically. I've got four rolls of film to send off to the processors, and if that doesn't happen before the end of the month then the Red Oktober film can go with them (the color roll is two thirds done, but I haven't started on the b&w yet). Haven't had a really decent amount of time to get used to my "new" D610, but I have been able to fill in the holes in my LTM and M kits. Can't wait to see how that Summitar did, and if the repairs on the IIIf are good.

I've also had too much time to think about where my photography journey is headed, but I'll save that for another day to talk about.

PF

A lot more pictures around home, in the garden at the front and the back in particular.

Untitled
by Richard, on Flickr

Lockdown sanctuary
by Richard, on Flickr

Same tree by day, Ektar in the Rolleiflex.

000001-2.jpg
by Richard, on Flickr

med_U28906I1598687092.SEQ.0.jpg

My usual minor shots of light and shadow seem more precious when I find them, partly for being out with the camera risking fine or arrest by the Victoria Police Force if they didn't consider my walk 'exercise' under our draconian limited exercise allowance to be out of home. This one is of the front of where I work. Not particularly courageous excursion. The new Kodak E100. And in the tiny IIIf which is inconspicuous. I wouldn't walk with a camera bag or medium format camera and often recently I am just out with the iPhone, 11 Pro. Pretty good.

000039.jpg
by Richard, on Flickr

And being in the garden allowed me to be outdoors without a mask on. So wonderful. Also the Rolleiflex and Ektar:

000008-3.jpg
by Richard, on Flickr

My local cafe near work. One coffee at least a day and often lunch take away, all that's allowed. Have taken quite few photos in here. This solution came on me after much contemplation. The other day I was there and cannot see how I got this to work. I think the door must have been at just the right angle of opening when I got this. Silvertone on the 11 Pro:

Untitled
by Richard, on Flickr

50452995087_20353781bf_b.jpg

Visits out doors with distance and masked characters. These are my son, who has been getting out lots with the camera, and a friend Tom who is a member here visiting last Saturday. When we visit, the cameras come out!

Congrats on your forum Helen. Very nice images here already and I love your tracks through window.

David

Don't know about You
This New World Order
Covid, Downturn in Economics, Crazy Political Atmosphere
has. certainly had it's effect on Me

So the question:
How has your Photography changed because of this ?

shooting more, shooting less
shedding gear due to economics or just not using it much
Buying new Gear in hope of Inspiration or using in a new project
One's vision has changed from People to landscape
or
delving into more abstract: Seeing Life more in Shadows , Light, linear horizontal
or >> ?

Hi Helen,

COVID has made the biggest difference, we (my family) are now more isolated than before. Opportunities to get out with a camera are rare, apart from a (almost) daily coffee break at one of the many local beach cafes with my wife. I consider myself lucky for that.

The pandemic also gave me the chance to try out instant film for a while. The Australian government COVID stimulus package funded the purchase of some Instax cameras and film. It's been rewarding and fun. My wife and I have been taking Instax selfies (the two of us) because the silliness makes us smile for the camera - better to smile when the world is going crazy! :).

I have taken some bw film images but have trouble finding the time and motivation to develop and scan it. I've decided to participate in the RFF postcard project round #12 because I see it as a way for us to support each other in psychologically difficult times. It feels good to receive a lot of interesting postcard prints in the mail from other photographers around the world. (If you're interested, drop a note to Stephan before this round closes on October 24).

Warm regards,
Lynn

top to bottom: Instax Wide 300, Instax SQ6, Instax Mini 9

med_U27021I1593941420.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U27021I1590843321.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U27021I1597493547.SEQ.0.jpg

for me-i started to shoot more. i abandoned film almost completely because of expenses (though i still miss that look...) , so i almost every evening i take my xe1 with 35mm and just roam almost empty streets. its more fun than when all is busy and also some views that are hidden by crowd in our normal days are now visible... i wish posting here was easier-i post them only on Instagram since is so quick-i have real problem with this size of photo limit here...

Firstly, congratulations on the forum. I'm excited to see you back and see your images, be they of people, trains, or anything really!

It's been a challenging year mentally and emotionally in different ways.

I'd been plotting to start to move on from 120 (6x7) and try 4x5 and more outdoor/landscape this the spring, but stood down from any gear moves. I may finally pick up a D810 this fall to largely supplant my primary D700 by selling a few lightly used items since the used price on those is getting so low. I do some landscape work but focus heavily on people with family photos at home and the places we travel to (mostly outdoors to trails, parks, etc.). There haven't been any dramatic changes in what I've been shooting, but there have been some planned trips/opportunities that didn't happen due to shutdowns. I've made the most of everything we do though and strove to bring a camera along frequently.

On a positive note, I've taken time to work on improving my archive tagging and backups and am getting close to completing ~10 years of back images getting tagged and backed up remotely instead of just in duplicate local locations. This should support longterm goals of printing books for my family and having the ability to more easily print digitally or hopefully in the darkroom.

No unexpected economic hit for me, fortunately, because I was already scheduled to retire in March. However, I'm mainly a documentary/street shooter who now diligently avoids public spaces. Early in the pandemic I picked up a Holga and found it wonderful. Holga bikeabouts have been a creative and satisfying way to pass isolation. But I'm really missing the sights, sounds, and energy of the Chicago streets. I expect it's going to be a long, lonely winter.

50397502581_750a019ea2_z.jpg

I’m not really a Holga person as I can miss focus on my own without any help, but I’d be happy to have taken this photo. Thanks for posting.

I mainly photograph people, and as you would expect, Covid pretty much slammed the door on that most of the spring. But come mid-summer, everything changed. The jobs started and haven't stopped. I've been busier than ever, with photo jobs about every two weeks. Horse shoots, model shoots, "witch" shoots, family portraits....you name it. I have three more on the docket before Thanksgiving. Busy.

Jim B.

I never was a very social animal but I'm now wishing for some human interactions without a mask or an attitude coming between us all. Wanting a festival with music, dancing, drinking and crazy stuff all around. I would really like to see a crowd of happy people for a change. I would like to be able to point my camera in any direction and snap a smile.

My mobility is limited so I hobble around in the neighborhood a bit and photograph the familiar. Take lots of pictures of my dog. I spend a lot of hours on the computer and regret the time wasted later. I've spent way too much money on old Nikon digital cameras and lenses. I eat too much, drink too much and try to enjoy myself but sometimes feel guilty about it. My wife, the dog and I intend to make a short 5-day trip the end of the month. I've been looking forward to that for a while but it seems so many roadblocks are popping up it's now uncertain. No matter, I'll still be hobbling around and taking pictures of whatever, wherever I am.

I work in the entertainment industry so work - and income has been scarce. Since my theater shut down in mid March I’ve had only one week of employment so I’m on a fixed income for the foreseeable future.

As a result, my GAS (as strong as ever) has been largely ignored for the past seven months; a big change for a guy who would normally buy gear like most people buy groceries! I have lost the battle of will a couple of times and acquired some things but I’m mostly being responsible.

Since the only news has been bad for months I’ve mostly steered clear of the media (excluding photography forums) and I’ve been shooting as much as, or more than ever. It’s what’s keeping me from losing my mind and also from getting depressed. I’ve been trying to record how NYC looks throughout all of this and, as others mentioned, businesses we’ve lost to the pandemic. I wouldn’t say my style or subject matter has really changed all that much.

During the hottest part of the summer I tried to stay in the cool of the basement and progress with the never-ending darkroom build but I didn’t get as far as I should have. I’ll dive back into that when the weather gets colder.

Everything changed the morning of March 13th - My wife and I were on the way to the high school where we both teach knowing that it might be the last "in person" day with students. Sure enough, shortly after lunch time word leaked out that school was cancelled...many students simply left; before the school day was even over. Truthfully, we knew it was coming before that (a week earlier we attended an in-person Seattle Sounders FC home game and that seemed sort of risky - 40,000 people in a stadium together).

Anyway, that seems like a long time ago and just yesterday, I finally had all the film that a have shot during the pandemic processed. 13 Rolls - not a ton - but a fair amount for me. My lab was shut down for most of that time so I just keep putting my exposed film in a box in the 'fridge. I like what I shot - several hikes - solo or with my daughter - to remote locales - not many other people seen. Pictures documenting empty streets as well and lots of restoration photos of the '63 Karmann Ghia I rescued.

Leica II, Primo JR, Pentax Spotmatic, Bessa R2 were the cameras used:

000140150002_363327_1602979437_lg.jpg

000140170009_363327_1602979792_lg.jpg

000251940008_363327_1602964056_lg.jpg

000315720002_363327_1602964092_lg.jpg

000140160009_363327_1602979661_lg.jpg

Looking back on my film log, I was surprised to see I'm only a few rolls behind my 2019 pace of shooting. Although my normal photographic opportunities were dampened, I took a lot more photos of my kids while sheltering, working, and schooling from home. Just trying to document a very unique time in our lives.

To stay inspired and excited, I finally tried my hand at trichromy, the red/green/blue color separation process to make color images from black and white film. I've posted more results here in a thread on the forum, but here's a recent example. I don't shoot a lot of color film, so it has been a fun experiment.

2020.08.11 Roll #255-05106-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Glad your all safe

Glad your all safe

All I can tell for sure, Helen, is that I am taking fewer photos these days. We had Hurricane Sally hit our city, and then we had a double wham COVID19-Sally effect on us.
I think of my family and their future. I contact more often my sister and brother (each living in a different continent), This is Life.

I was thinking of you and the Hurricane and was tempted to PM you. Glad you're all safe. I saw you popup for the postcard project.
Between the virus and coming election its been strange.

Life here for us is slow, and being cooped up is the norm with my wife's Parkinson. I haven't taken a single picture in months.

I may sell some equipment as it's just turning into shelf queen status.
icon9.gif

I fled NYC and bunkered down in the lower Hudson Valley.

It seems my economic hit was that they froze my pension, so I can't increase my years of service anymore, and in 11 months I will retire at age 64. This I take as divine intervention because I was going to work till 66 years 8 months. Financially I'll be fine.

So back when film was cheap and I could buy rebranded Tri-X for $2.89 a roll and rebranded Acros for $1.89 a roll (short dated) I made a huge mess by shooting with a total disegard to printing or editing.

The Baby Victorian on the edge of town will eventually have a darkroom and I can begin to untangle the mess I made. At work I have a stockpile of film, that includes mucho Polaroid that I have to deplete.

Before I moved out of NYC I depleted all of My Piezography inks, so when I have the time and space I'll start that again with fresh ink. My "Jersey Barrier" (Epson 7800) has a fresh set of dampers and is being conditioned and stored with Piezoflush.

So I'm gearing up for printing. As far as shooting goes I think in the spring I will try to clear out my stockpile of films. "Maggie" complained that the freezer and refigerator is for food, so currently my overflow is being stored in a refrigerator in my lab.

NYC is really sad. Lots of people suffering. All I'm trying to do is stay safe. Because I work in a hospital I got vaccinated. "Maggie" gets her second injection Monday. I see lots of people without masks. Also pretty hard to social distance with eaters, smokers, drinkers, and no maskers.

I go to work and I only go out if I have to. I have plenty of work to do with an old house built in 1912.

I'm laying low. Anti Asian hate crimes are on the rise, and recently a man was killed in Oakland. Here recently in NYC a man had his face slashed.

Cal

Back