Cycling with a camera

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
11:32 AM
'ello chaps,

I was wondering if and how those of you into cycling road bikes, track bikes etc. carry their camera (and which!) whilst doing so.
More specifically, I was wondering if anyone has found a frame-fitted bag that fits an M body with a reasonably small 35mm attached. This being for longer rides (30-80km) at relatively high average speeds, not necessarily commuting in jeans and shirt where you can just sling it around your shoulder for a bit or pop it in a backpack - but any input is appreciated!

Post pictures if you have 'em.

Cheerio

Why not use the Ortlieb Ultimate Six wirh Photo Insert? Maybe not stylish enough for the modern bike packer who prefers stuffing the bike with frame bags (and a bum rocket?)?

Ahhhh, good question. The only frame fitting bag I've seen was just an old flap over leather briefcase held to the bike by the flap over the top tube. Enough for an M body and lenses. I think Harry has the right idea for long trips.

DO NOT do it with an Argus C3 in a jacket pocket!

I slipped off a wet pedal, jamming the brick between my chest and the bars. Brick - just fine. My chest - the corner of the thing drew blood, as well as winding me!

I'd think a frame bag (if you're meaning a wedge-type bag that fits inside the frame) would be too narrow to accommodate an M body and lens (as you wouldn't want to be hitting the bag with your knees as you pedal), but have a look at what my friends at Velo Orange have on offer. Maybe something there for you that might work: https://velo-orange.com/collections/bags

My experience is that frame bags are to be avoided. Even with padding, road vibration gets transmitted to the camera, with the potential to loosen screws, etc. Despite the inconvenience and compromise in comfort, carrying the camera in a pack worn on your body is preferable. Nevertheless, pad it well in case of a spill.

My experience is that frame bags are to be avoided. Even with padding, road vibration gets transmitted to the camera, with the potential to loosen screws, etc. Despite the inconvenience and compromise in comfort, carrying the camera in a pack worn on your body is preferable. Nevertheless, pad it well in case of a spill.

Wise words.
My experience also. When cycling I only use small cameras carried in a backpack or in a waist-bag.
Joao

Only problem with wearing a backpack instead of letting the bike carry the load, especially on a longer ride as you say, is that now you're adding the load onto yourself. Don't think I'd want to be wearing a backpack for an 80km ride, of course depending on the size of it and what else you might have in that backpack besides the camera. In that case, I'd think a hip pack might be better than a backpack, assuming you're only carrying the camera in it and nothing more substantial.

Just found this: https://bikepacking.com/plan/bikepacking-with-a-camera/#:~:text=Within this category, you can,t

I NEVER take delicate rangefinders like Leicas on two wheels. It only takes one unfortunate jolt to knock things out of alignment. SLRs are for two wheels! I usually have mine in a sling over the shoulder bag or around the neck with a comfy strap. For long rides, any dedicated frame bag would do for an SLR.

Backpack wearing on bike is kind of clumsy But possible with some bikes.

I don't know what bike you ride. It might be heavy electrical one. Those cold take 25 kg load of cargo.

51491796319_f55c1d61e9_b.jpg

My colleague arrives on-site. It is 25 km ride one way. He does it daily during summer.

Or it could be slick fixie.

51160434794_812506132d_b.jpg

You might have front bag, two bottles on frame and under saddle bag. One of the bag for M, another for tools and spare tube.

I took my M-E 220 with 21 and VF on bike ride for 25 km. It is kind of up right seater bike with raised bar.

51123161655_575a60caa4_b.jpg

Bag for camera is in front.

Again, you did not specified the type of the bike. It could be hybrid with high speeds under pedal assist.
It could road bike with drops. It could be flat bar gravel bike. All gives higher speed than beach cruiser. :)

But I already described most of it.

One thing related to long rides, your body have to work most sufficient way. Backpacks, hip bags are not sufficient.
This is why if I go long it is fixie and I'm wearing cyclist short with GRD III in pouch at middle pocket at the back to the cycling short.

But, sometimes it doesn't have to be overcomplicated. I rode once on fixie (second photo above) for 56 km from Toronto DT to Milton, ON.

I used my everyday bag. Which is this bag.

29057050048_ea8aaaac17_z.jpg

I opened the top and with belt tucked into the bag I flipped the top over the top frame tube. Then pushed it up front. Bag was narrow enough to fit between my knees.

true, i didn't specify! i was more interested in the way people do things with what they have, but yes. i ride a relatively old road bike (race/endurance from the mid 2000s), a fixed gear / track bike and a single speed, all with drop bars but different brake setups and all under 9-10kg so not exactly cargo-oriented.

Same camera bag on third picture will do the same on drops with M.
But GRD III in the back pocket of cycling short works best for me on fixie (second picture).

I use an Arkel handlebar bag with a one-pocket Domke inset velcroed in place. The insert fills about half the bag, so there's room for other stuff. My M6 and lens fit well, and there is quick access, no contact with bike parts, and it's waterproof. Maybe not the best looking setup but it works well. An Ortlieb would probably do the same.

John

A handlebar bag gives the quickest access possible to the camera. Usually there is more than enough space for a Leica M inside, so it is no problem to add padding materials like clothes or air cushion foil to be absolutely safe against vibration damage. With more than 20 years of handlebar bag photocycling, I never had any damage on the cams. Waterproof seems important to me. The Ortlieb stuff never disappointed.
For long travels I use the big one to keep all the valuables together, but there are smaller versions, too.
DSCF1116.jpg

For shorter trips I remove the tools and extra tube from the under-the-seat bag and my IIF fits perfectly with 35mm Summaron F3.5 or 28mm Nikkor mounted. This works fine other than the fact I have to get off the bike to remove the camera, but I’ll be doing that anyway if I’m looking to get a well framed take.

Bob

I took a Mamiya 7 in a pannier on a week-long trip many years ago. Wouldn't recommend it though. Any rangefinder camera that can easily be thrown out of alignment by vibrations should be worn on the body instead. Either a small sling/fanny pack, or a backpack. Mission workshop makes great cycling backpacks for commuting, that might be a good approach. If you're not carrying a sensitive rangefinder, I would definitely carry something like a Ricoh GR or a cell phone in a handlebar bag or top tube bag which is easily accessible while riding.

Back