Cycling with a camera

Olympus TOUGH TG-6 in its dedicated silicone jacket.
Some four years ago, a friend rode his bike from Bangkok to the Xishuangbanna in China, and upon arrival found that his Zeiss Batis 2/25 was toast. The vibrations had offset the delicate electronics. I advised him to buy one of the shock-water-dust proof cameras and he's been using it on frequent bike rides and hikes ever since. Cheers, OtL

80 km is about 50 miles. In season, I tend to ride 25-35 miles a day, some days as much as that 50 miles, and I've had no problems carrying any number of different camera kits in a small backpack or sling bag for those distances. My favorites for this kind of carry are the Wotancraft Mini Rider (can fit a Leica M and two-three modest lenses, other small gear) and the Wotancraft Easy Rider (although too much to carry, I did manage a 40 mile day with this stuffed with Hasselblad 500CM, A12 back, WL finder, Distagon 50mm, and PD Travel Tripod. A more typical ride carry is a Polaroid SLR670a, two packs film, maybe a lens accessory or two, or my Light L16, or the M10-M with two lenses in a Patagonia Atom 8L sling bag. (All of those kits would fit in the Wotancraft Mini Rider too.) The biggest issue is figuring not what camera gear I want to carry but what the TOTAL gear I want to carry might be. If I'm in a bike trip where I'm going to be cycling 50 miles a day for several days, I obviously need more gear than just my camera and sunglasses, etc, and that when I fit the rack to the bike so that I can fit a pannier bag to handle the addition of other gear beyond the camera stuff. On bike trips like that, I want to minimize what I'm carrying on my body as it will tend to overheat me too much, which tires me out, so the on-body gear is typically a smallish sling with a light camera and a couple of other essentials, Everything else in the panniers. You have to look at the whole picture. G

Last edited:
Back