Cycling with a camera

Terrific thread. Love Bob’s IIIf in the under-seat bag. I’ve never seen Ko.Fe so expansive: such in the field experience. The IIIf and collapsible 50 is my preferred bike camera, but I’ve only ridden the neighborhood, with it around my neck. The Ortlieb handlebar bag looks a winner.

For bike rides, anyone have a suggestion for a scale focus 28 or 35 that is small and reliable enough to work alongside my digital Ricoh GR2/3, something that has automatic film advance or a winder that can be easily operated?

I've carried the Olympus XA4, but the winding wheel prohibits easy on bike operation. I've carried Olympus Stylus Epics, but the auto-focus misses too much and I'd like to be able to have more manual control. I've carried a Yashica T4, but the flash defaults to on and it also misses focus more than I wish.

These cameras get used like sketchbooks, on rides where I am not riding for the purpose of producing photos, but still want the option to make a picture.

When not slinging a camera over my shoulder, I use the Large Point 'N' Shooter Stem bag made by Road Runner Bags (pictured below), usually shooting with an M2 or an XA2.

52173179134_045afd7934_b.jpg

I use a LowePro Toploader II with a harnass on my chest for both hiking (25-40KM) and biking (40-70km on normal cyclinh paths and roads)
this evens the load, protects the camera from contact with trees and the mountain sides and is relatively shockproof. Works as a charm for over 30 odd years!

I've thought about bar bags, frame bags, etc. for a film M or Barnack, but no solution seems ideal. Instead, I've been think a digital P&S camera may be the way to go for a camera to use while cycling...

Anyone got any suggestions for a digital P&S with a 45-50mm field of view that can do a reasonable job of blurring backgrounds?

Well don't have pics to prove it but.
Took my Contax S2 on my back while cycling the Alps in 2001 (Celerina), 2002 (Davos),2005 (Canazei), 2006 (Chamonix) 2008 (Courmayeur) , 2009 (Cogne) and 2010 (courmayeur again). Climbed the Grand San Carlo, the Petit Saint Bernard, Col de l'Iseran.... Used the standard ER case but from a nikon FM10 (better than contax one) and a neoprene strap. Carried the camera with the strap on my left shoulder, crossing my chest and passing under my right shoulder/arm, camera back was resting on my back with lens pointing upwards.
Sometimes you have to stop to replace the camera in the good positiion so that it does not go bouncing around.

After 2016 I used exclusively my Zenit 122 (which survived to a magic tarmac crash at 24 mph (40 kmph) when the plastic bag I was carrying it into broke and fell on the tarmac. HAving seen such resilience my Zenit is the bike camera.
Had previously used a Canon Snappy 20 in 1997in the austrian Alps (Galtür), again in 1998 in Switzerland (Champery), 1999 (Kandersteg) .
So a Rangefinder Leica with a large neoprene strap and a good ER non leather case would be no problem
Best regards

Simon, I cycle long and short distance.
Vintage and modern bikes. NO electric. Have done the full L'Eroica in Gaiole twice and crossed the alps twice, as well as Turin to Ferrara. To me there's only one solution: ONA insert inside a traditional Crumpler Messenger bag. Carried high with the stabilizer strap fitted. The bag never moves, is super comfy, and protects my digital M, plus 2 or 3 lenses and all personal gear in the bag. I carry up to 5kg, this way, often with some food for the day. Because it is snug and high on my back the weight is not felt when riding.
I don't at all believe that my M is too good or sensitive for taking on bike trips!

Forgot to add, also rode the Eroica in Gaiole, in 2014 and 2015, and the Triple Bypass in Colorado in 2015. My Contax S2 was hanging from my back in all these rides (and maybe some more I have forgotten). Managed to even take on-ride shots, pre-focused at infinity and pre-setting aperture and shutter speed.
As an image is worth 1,000 words, this is the way I carried (or should I say I wore) the camera)

Bear in mind that this is (and was) a bulky camera (Contax S2 with 28-70 vario-sonnar). So a Rangefinder with a standard lens will be much easier.
Hope that helps.
Best regards

You might try a classic handle bar bag. They are popular with those who ride Brevets (think Paris-Brest-Paris) where brisk riding over long distances is the norm. Line it with some memory foam and you should have no problem jiggling the rangefinder out of focus.
Bike_category_banner_1024x480.jpg

Used a handlebar bag on my trip to Italy. This one isn't bulky, should handle an M body with a small lens no problem.

HB3.jpg

My son showed some pictures he took on a bike ride. He rides a lot, more than 20,000 miles in a year a couple years ago. I was surprised to find that he carries a Nikon F3 that I gave him years ago. Far from the lightest camera around, although he also has a Mamiya C220. He has some kind of thing that holds the camera next to his body while riding. I think he keeps it on his back.

There are some straps that keep the camera from flopping around on the back. That would bug the heck out of me, tho. :)

20,000 miles in a year is pro-level distance! I did 6,000 last year, and 8500 the year before that.

True that, a rangefinder would seem to be the most vulnerable type of cam to sharp vibration. Did take my M240 around the circumference of Sardinia in a standard rear pannier a few years back though and it's none the worse for wear. My phone died on the trip getting wet in a thunderstorm and I lost all those pics but the M240 remained nice and dry back there.

Thankful that pics of the trip were salvaged. Frankly, there's just no need to bring this much junk and I'll NEVER tour this way again!

Last edited:
Below is a pixillated jpeg of him with the Nikon on his back.

My son showed some pictures he took on a bike ride. He rides a lot, more than 20,000 miles in a year a couple years ago. I was surprised to find that he carries a Nikon F3 that I gave him years ago. Far from the lightest camera around, although he also has a Mamiya C220. He has some kind of thing that holds the camera next to his body while riding. I think he keeps it on his back.
View attachment DSC_0363.JPG

Olympus TOUGH TG-6 in its dedicated silicone jacket. This fits into the Olympus Sports Holder, which can be either hooked to anything or fixed at straps/bars etc. I use it mainly for hiking or the beach because it is waterproof, dust proof, and withstands a 2m drop. I wouldn't bring any Leica anymore for that kind of activity, especially in bad weather conditions.

This was my first 135km L'Eroica in Chianti. I use a Crumpler with Ona insert. These days it is pretty much all I carry, you can pack some clothes and essential and wash stuff at night. We live in good times for travelling light. One M-P with Summaron and one other lens. Crumpler on the back is terrific and secure.

The bici was a Colnago Emerald with tube tyres, Campo Record. A great little bike, very light.

Egon_Bérnhard_Gaiole in Chianti 2016.jpg

I'm cycling for two weeks this May. I'd take my Sigma FP in a bar bag or pannier, but not my rangefinder M.
At the moment I'm planning on taking the M in a small camera bag strapped to my back. No, I wouldn't want a back pack.
The M240 is very small and quite light with a Voigtlander 40mm Heliar. I've definitely had rangefinder alignment issues in the past from vibration.
On other trios I've found it too easy to avoid taking photos with a camera in my pannier - too much hassle. Hopefully a small camera bag on my back will be a quicker transition to shooting mode.

Back