DAG - third-party lens repair turn times?

Dante_Stella

Rex canum cattorumque
Local time
9:41 PM
What has been people's recent experience with how long it takes to get a non-Leica LTM or M lens repaired at DAG?

Thanks!
Dante

What "other people" experience as turnaround time isn't really relevant.

When you send something to Don for service, ask *him* what his turnaround for that item might be. He can't tell you precisely until he gets the item to inspect and evaluate the repair, but he can give you a reasonable estimate. If you need it by a certain date, you ask him if he can have it back to you by then.

G

* My most recent repair was a simple issue with one of my lenses that needed the body of the lens to be separated from the focusing mount to access the screws that had become loose on the distance indicating ring. I sent it Priority Mail Express, he sent it back Priority Mail 7 day. Total turnaround was 10 days.

He’s swamped. Leica NJ is closed so he’s taking on more repairs than usual. Nothing but Leica he told me. Took about 8 weeks to get my Leica R-E back. Counter was broken.

Godfrey, this assumes that a "needed by" date has been stated. The experiences of others are absolutely relevant to level-setting on your own expectations.

Dante

Asking him is usually the best way to find out. :)

What lens and what's wrong with it? There are many repair shops that can fix ordinary problems.

Last year he turned my M7 around in a few weeks. More recently, he’s had a Leica 90 macro of mine since September...

Asking him is usually the best way to find out. :)

What lens and what's wrong with it? There are many repair shops that can fix ordinary problems.

MS-Sonnetar needs its RF cam set to Leica-standard infinity, which to be done right requires a fixture that DAG has.

Dante

You have two questions to ask Don. First, will he even work on an MS-Sonnetar; and second, how long does he think it will take.

DAG is definitely the only tech I’d use for that job. I wouldn’t think that would take much of his time, either. So you might get a faster turn if you’re lucky. :)

Godfrey, this assumes that a "needed by" date has been stated. The experiences of others are absolutely relevant to level-setting on your own expectations.

Dante

I disagree. You don't have to have a "needed by" date. You just have to ask Don how long a job will take.

No matter what anyone else says, what Don says is all that matters.

I've been doing business with Don for 28 years ... No matter what anyone else says about his delivery time or schedule, HE is the only one who can give a credible answer. If you don't trust him to give you a credible answer, why do you trust him to work on your precious lenses or cameras?

G

I realize this is an old post, but just recently sent a M 28f 2 asph to Don, the aperture ring was slipping. I emailed him first, and outlined the problem. He replied 3-4 weeks, or sooner if I needed it by a special date. Shipped it over to him and received it back in 7 days.

Back