Dead Exakta VP...1930s Monster?

dee

Well-known
Local time
11:01 AM
I have just acquired a black painted, lever wind 1930s Charity Shop Exakta VP with case, which is seized with flaking blinds.
With unusual scale in feet and a USA stamp near the number, it appears to have been an export to the States.
Even the rusted back catch needed gentle easing off.

At £10, it was simply curiosity as to being able to handle the beginning of SLR photography.
I was surprised to find that, with a clean, the focusing helical is fine , the simple aperture controls work and the Tessar is free of fungus.
I can even focus it on what must be a compromised screen.
It used 127 film remembered from my bakelite Brownie 127 [ 1957]

First impressions are that the contemporary Contax II and Leica II wipe the floor with it, together with any decent roll film TLR !!
I wonder what advantage it must have provided for the purchaser.

[ One aspect I realise is that even in the early 50s until 1959 with the Nikon F, the Kiev was a capable camera compared to the early development of the SLR]

I admit to extreme ignorance concerning the development of the SLR, but, it must have required considerable vision to imagine overcoming some of the shortcomings of the initial concept!!

OK age has not been kind, but a TLR is easier to hold and easier to focus.
I guess the interchangeable lenses were a plus, but the rangefinder was a far more elegant solution, especially as a 135mm lens, or equivalent, was generally the longest telephoto available.

As an Art Deco piece of history, it's rather neat, but I won't be investing in a rebuild!

At the time it was sort of a novelty (but then again so were the first Leicas as well). As SLRs before the VP exakta were mostly large format cameras shooting plates (only a few roll film SLRs existed and these mostly mimicked the large format cameras in operation). So the VP exakta was sort of like a tentative footstep towards an entirely different direction for the concept.

It was not intended to compete with cameras like the Leica or other 35s at all, it was more supposed to compete with SLRs like the graflex by opening up a new segment of the market.

Thanks Tunalegs

I now realise why the tripod socket is so well used as it really needs to be supported during focusing.

I have cleaned the screen and mirror- I reckoned a modern screen cleaner can't do too much more damage and the screen seems relatively OK with a few scratches.

It certainly was no better than a TLR in that respect, but I guess 127 roll film was considered compact at the time.
I don't regret having an early SLR pioneer to play around with.

I am tempted to touch in the paintwork , but reckoned if someone in the future wants to revive it, It should be original.

I have always thought the Exactas were amazing. They had so much potential and yet when the Nikon F came along they were quickly set aside. I have several 35mm Exactas and I like to look at them and consider how important they were to 35mm photography but I have never found them easy or natural to use. Joe

I have the same thoughts about the Praktina, also killed by the Nikon F
Ironically, the Nikon F is distantly related to my all time rave-the pre-war Contax and Kiev.
I would love to play with a 35mm Exakta.

Fun to hear your comments about Praktina as I have several and find them charming. They had a spring motor and other interesting bits. I really like the 58mm Biotar lens. The 35mm Exactas often have bad shutter curtains, only the last few had instant return mirrors. I have trouble focusing slr cameras and the Exacta is the hardest for me so I stick with rangefinders. Mostly a Leica IIIc these days. Joe

I actually really like using my Exakta and Exa cameras. But I've found that apparently special diopter eyepieces must have been pretty common back in the day, since some of my prisms are crisp and clear, and others will only work if I'm wearing glasses (it seems to be about 50/50 so far).

Honestly, of all my SLRs the Exaktas are the easiest to focus because of their high magnification viewfinders and the extra large split prism screens they offered. The plain ground glass WLF can be a little tricky if only because it often gets dirty or the magnifier won't stay parallel to the ground glass. But if it's clean and aligned, that is basically as good as a 35mm viewfinder gets - on any camera I think.

new old VP Exakta A

new old VP Exakta A

Just bought from Poland a 1933 (or maybe 1934) Ihagee VP Exakta A, the one without slow speeds. For what I've searched, it's an early model, black enamel and without flash contacts. Looks quite good, and the shutter works, but one of the curtains has pinholes, and while I can focus on the groundglass it looks out of place, as infinity is not where it is marked in the scale. Also the magnifier cant' stand parallel to the glass so it's mostly useless. But it could be considered the mother of all SLR.:D

Anyway in the next weeks or months I'll respool a 120 film into 127 and give it a try, maybe taking extra care with the pinholed curtain (it's the second one, I think)

An earlier SLR...

HB%20Ensign%20Special%20Reflex.jpg

Regards, David

Impressive and huge camera, but it's a plate camera? I meant mother of the SLR in the way it has most of the elements in place, although in a quite primitive way: film, interchangeable lenses, "almost" eyelevel view through the lens... (I know I know, the image is quite dim, and upturned twice, but hey:rolleyes:)

And for the GOMZ Sport, it's protype, the Gelveta, dates from 1935. And I said SLR considering it with film in a broad sense, not only 35mm where it probably the Sport is the winner, at least with a very close competition with the Kine Exakta:

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-1465305895

Dear David,

what camera is this? It has a CZJ Tessar, so it is probably a german camera, isn't it?

Hi,

It's a British Houghton "Ensign Special Reflex" and dates from 1905-1910-ish. This one takes 6 x 9 cm plates but they took several sized plates and lenses. This is their, perhaps, 1912 "Ensign Handbook of Photography" and shows it better than I can type.

Ensign%20Handbook-XL.jpg

FWIW, I've also their baby camera, the first real miniature; an "Ensignette" which is smaller than my wife's smugphone...

Regards, David

PS Hmmm, it's got a single lens and is a reflex, there were roll film backs for them and cut film and plates later on. It's very versatile...

Well, the thread was about VP Exaktas... so here's mine ;)

It's an early Model A, dating from c.1933-1934. As far as I could tell, it works quite well, but unfortunately the curtains (specially the 2nd) are full of pinholes. Maybe I'll try to fix them with little dots of liquid electrical tape or black Pebeo Marbelling ink.

44044458554_793042dfbf_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2a74n3s
42999239410_fd1074a35a_z.jpg

Well, the thread was about VP Exaktas... so here's mine ;)

It's an early Model A, dating from c.1933-1934. As far as I could tell, it works quite well, but unfortunately the curtains (specially the 2nd) are full of pinholes. Maybe I'll try to fix them with little dots of liquid electrical tape or black Pebeo Marbelling ink.

44044458554_793042dfbf_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2a74n3s
42999239410_fd1074a35a_z.jpg

Well, some weeks ago I managed ("dared") to repair the curtains of the shutter with textile paint. And It works perfectly. Here are some pictures taken with this same camera, perhaps the first ones in several decades:

45867351285_d4820f2d6e_z.jpg

Perafita, Catalonia

32906638698_e3f381285c_z.jpg

46774854991_7769c92c42_z.jpg

The problems in the upper side of the images was not the camera's fault, but a defective 127 Rerapan 100 cartridge, my last one, which had the top plastic cover falling to the ground, and letting in some light. But not so much!

Wow. Great job! Textile paint.......who knew?

Good to hear of these successful home repairs. Often these threads go "I sent the camera in to (insert name of highly regarded but uncommunicative repair person) and it's been 6 months and they won't reply to my emails.

Darn, now I want an Exacta. Sorta. The lens you have is a keeper for sure. OK, gotta go ck the Exaktas on eBay.

As to reliable repairshops for old German cameras, I have had good experience with Foto-Olbrich( @gmx.de) in Görlitz, Andrea Schønfelder who runs the workshop is quick to anwer emails and although there anturally is a waiting list, repairs do not take that long. I just had my VP Exacta totally renovated for about 170euros.

p.

I've just found a 1934 VP Exakta B that's in very good condition except for the shutter curtains. For this link to Photo Service Olbrich, I thank you!

Back