Dear Susan Pixii Review

It certainly looks great. But I think the price point is the real issue. As I hesitate to buy a Fuji with only 24mp, why would I buy an expensive 11mp camera? Sure lots of people say you don't need more than 6mp, but in today's environment with lots of 30-40mp products to choose from - an 11mp camera. Really? Are we back in 2010? If they're giving it away maybe, but at top dollar. Not in the running, in my opinion.

It looks like this is something that is designed to suit the folks that like to post images online immediately after taking them... to places like Instagram. But the price seems like it would be a turn-off to those folks. Especially since they already have phones with cameras to do that job. Quality aside (I assume its built to high standards given the price), the features offered would fall more in the $1000 to $1500 range, IMO.

After looking it all over, can't think of a camera I'd be less interested in. But to each there own.

Best,
-Tim

Sounds like the reviewer likes the idea more than the product.

The reviewer was using a nice lens for this test which would have made the price of the complete system about $6,000. I imagine it'll be the price that kills this product. That and the overall poor sensor specs that are likely inferior to the phone it is connected to.

The connectivity... the USP they seem to be pushing... to me it's a minor issue. If I want to post something fast I use my phone. Lack of card slots would worry me, like batteries you can't take out without busting the case open.

Other than that... an M-mount APS-C camera with that's got a rangefinder but limited sensor? Interesting decision.

Feels like too many ideas in one camera. An M-mount APS-C RF with a limited sensor might have been interesting in it's own right around £1000. A mirrorless with the vaunted connectivity likewise. It's going to be a struggle to build a brand in today's market, too.

Maybe pixii will go the same way as others the review mentions, selling or licensing their tech to other players.

(And for what it's worth - the Light L16 was a fully fledged Android device and you could surf the web [etc] on it, upload to flickr etc. As well as being a computational device with 16 cameras.)

While it’s an interesting camera, I’d buy one, except for the price. Well healed folks will buy a Leica, there is one without an LCD, no? He’s selling an up scale product and need to have several high profile people using one. Perhaps Paris Hilton, Anne Curry, Sir Paul perhaps? I don’t see any way $3K will work for anyone but his investors.

B2 (;->

I think it's an interesting concept, taking advantage of smartphone technology. I'm not so bothered by the pixel count--I love my 12 megapixel Sony A7SII, and I might still use my 6 megapixel Epson R-D1 if it wasn't broken. Speaking of Epson, I would be concerned about future support (in the case of Epson, the future came fast). Price is also a disincentive.

any thoughts on this review?

Thoughts on the review, not the Pixii: It seems somewhat airily written, praise for a concept not well articulated. A little too much judgement, with not enough objective information upon which to think for me. The photos are nice, most of them, nearly all of them in the same aesthetic space.

Yes, the author seems to like the camera, reluctantly, albeit he/she doesn't seem to want one now with the current sensor.

I would consider this more an impression than a review.

About the Pixii itself: It seems a little misunderstood and certainly, to most people's comments that I've read, the high price is an automatic dismissal for the vast majority of folks who've looked at pixii.fr website. Most these days seem to be entirely feature and spec driven in what they're looking for in a camera.

I reserve judgement on the camera, would love to have one to use for a week or two to see how it works in the flesh before committing to a position on it one way or the other.

G

Seems a bit like paying for a Porsche with a Toyota Corolla engine in it. May look cool fancy and cool, even fun to drive maybe...but worth its price? Probably not to me.

This doesn't really qualify as a review in my mind, not even close to be honest. Pardon my ignorance, but what does a Pixii even look like? I'm not being facetious — this is not a product that I have been following, so I honestly don't know. But had this been an actual product review I wouldn't be asking such a question, along with plenty of others that I could easily come up with. This struck me much more as a PR piece of sorts, likely intended to drum up interest among those who were already interested in this product to begin with I suppose.

However, the basic gist of the product, from what I can tell from reading this article, does jive with a thought that I've held for some time now. Which is this: at some point the near future, the trends that we've seen as applied to the consumption of digital music will also likely apply to digital photography. The camera will still serve to capture an image, but what happens with the subsequent file that is generated will be much different than now. Automatic dissemination to various remote storage/hosting options of the users choosing will likely be key. Just as most people no longer care to own a physical medium containing the music they listen to, so it will go for images they capture with a camera. That's not to say that they wouldn't be able to access those images for editing and local storage later on if they so desired.

But going forward the selling feature of digital cameras will likely have just as much to do with the software involved and the role the device plays in distributing the captured images as it does with the act of capturing of the images in the first place. Unlike the Pixii, this will not likely be dependent upon a smartphone to do so. Yet such functionality would likely be offered in addition to the camera's own abilities.

Interesting, and it's great that there is a new player making a 'serious' digital camera (rangefinder nonetheless).

But... The final product just seems muddled. To me it appears seriously compromised for each of it's possible markets.

Connectivity for the Millennials. But attached to a slow, manual focus rangefinder platform. And very very expensive.

Slow, manual focus rangefinder platform for the old school purists with M-mount lenses, but low res, APS, and attached to this overly techy connectivity stuff. And very very expensive.

Who is it actually for?

A brand new small company making its first camera in low volumes = high price (this is not Nikon)

A seemingly outdated APSC sensor...BUT with a global shutter (this is a first that I know of)

A new rangefinder camera in 2020! Who else had the balls to do it?

I think it's a pretty camera, but it isn't what I am looking for. If they can figure out how to make a second version and correct some of the things people want... they will succeed at the $3000 price easily.

This piece, which is not a 'review', would benefit from rigorous editing.

Some posted pictures have an 'Epsonesque' quality -which I like.

I also wonder about the intended audience for this camera. My two cents: the millennials with an interest in photography are, either into film-based photography, or into rangefinders and SLR's; the teenager's use of visual media is uniquely 'different' and the use of manual lenses would be alien to them; old-school rangefinder aficionados mainly use their cell phone to make phone calls, perhaps a little banking and a post on the family album on FB, and that covers it. I don't think the Pixii would have any luxury brand appeal.

There is the unanswered question of availability: when will the Pixii be on the market? On cost, whomever the camera is intended for, the cost which has been floating around the Internets may be a deal breaker: high-end cell phones, with decent cameras, roughly go for one-third of the cost of a Pixii body. Add a lens to it, and you're looking at one-fourth of that cost.

Cheers, OtL

Back