Dear Susan Pixii Review

So, you want one of the only unique cameras on the market to become just another EVF digital camera? Why not buy one of the dozens available right now?

Exactly. All mirrorless cameras can use M-mount glass with added close focus capabilities. So why make one that doesn’t really bring much to the table other than being limited to 50-70cm focus.. makes little sense IMO.

There is not even a rangefinder-styled camera with a top-quality EVF for that matter. So the "for those that want more than the closest biscuit on the table" could apply to an EVF based Pixii as the DearSusan review mentions.

Well, the GFX-50R had a relatively top notch evf when it was released. Also, you do realize top notch EVFs are used in $4000-6000 cameras not $2000 right?

Well, the GFX-50R had a relatively top notch evf when it was released. Also, you do realize top notch EVFs are used in $4000-6000 cameras not $2000 right?

Yes jsrockit that's the whole point of "shooting experience". There is no reason to NOT have a cheaper camera with an APS-C sensor and a great EVF. And if you read my original reply I never said to replace the Pixii with an EVF version. I said in addition to the rangefinder, if the company wants to expand, this would be a good direction.

P.S. Why on earth everyone is so defensive here?

As much as I like rangefinder-style EVF cameras, I doubt Pixii will make such a camera for at least several years due to issues with scaling up production like I mentioned the other day. Like Mike Johnston says, people like Leica, not rangefinders per se (except for a few peeps). They have to start in a niche before they do anything that has mass appeal.

M lenses and their shorter focus throws are made for the rangefinder, i.e. the simplified mechanic of matching a bright rangefinder patch. In my brief experience with using an M lens on an EVF camera, it sucked, quite frankly. Manual focus on an EVF camera is not enjoyable unless you're shooting slow. Anything more challenging and I'd just go home.

M lenses and their shorter focus throws are made for the rangefinder, i.e. the simplified mechanic of matching a bright rangefinder patch. In my brief experience with using an M lens on an EVF camera, it sucked, quite frankly. Manual focus on an EVF camera is not enjoyable unless you're shooting slow. Anything more challenging and I'd just go home.

My experience as well. Only benefit is being able to focus closer with a close focus adapter. But that does not outweigh the major downside with not having an actual rangefinder. IMO.

Barth et cie could not ask for more free publicity than they are getting with the heated discussion about their new camera. Anywhere it comes up there is contentious discussion. It is a well-made camera from all we have seen. What we do not know is how big the market is. We will have to wait to see.

I have been using EVF equipped, interchangeable lens cameras, and fitting Leica M-mount lenses onto them, since the Panasonic LUMIX G shipped in 2009. The Ricoh GXR with M-mount module, the Panasonic LUMIX G, the Olympus E-M1, the Sony A7, the Leica SL, and now my present Leica CL are the cameras I've used, successfully and happily, with M-mount lenses in addition to various film and digital M camera.

The biggest issue for me, with *all* of them, is that in bright sunlit conditions, the EVF cannot compete with sunlight and becomes difficult for *my* eyes to see properly. This is at least partially a problem with my eyes specifically ... At my advanced age, while my eyes are still capable of accommodating very low light as well as very bright light, they don't switch back and forth between the two very quickly anymore.

For this reason, a Leica M or other tunnel/optical viewfinder setup remains very desirable for daytime shooting. That is why I keep a Leica M4-2 around, have a passel of other film cameras with similar viewfinders, and am interested in a Pixii or Leica M digital as well. The CL that I use now as my 'main camera' (hard to say "main camera" when I switch around almost daily between five or six different cameras) performs brilliantly in most other circumstances, focuses fast and accurately no matter what lens I fit to the front of it.

But in the particular situation when I'm out in the sun doing "casual" picture taking, my eyes have trouble and the optical tunnel viewfinder, with or without rangefinder, works better for me. That's why I'm interested in (and paid for) a Pixii: Same format, optical tunnel viewfinder, etc. And if it never arrives, I'll look for a Leica M typ 246 or M10-D or M10-M that I can afford...

G

I am not a Mac person and I have not seen this review as it is from today, 18 April. Not much news in it but I do enjoy reading good reviews from different independent sources.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/03/10/...-28th-overall/

This is the linked DXOMark test: https://www.dxomark.com/pixii-a1571-sensor-test/

What puzzles me is that the Pixii is rated as better than the M9 which many folks regard as a really great image producing machine. I really like my M9. If this is the actual fact out there in the real world with folks like you and I pressing the shutter release we should be in for some pleasant surprises.

Along with Godfrey I sure wish mine would get here. I have not even gotten a word from Isabelle with a shipping date and I ordered two weeks ago today, 4 April.

I am not a Mac person and I have not seen this review as it is from today, 18 April. Not much news in it but I do enjoy reading good reviews from different independent sources.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/03/10/...-28th-overall/

This is the linked DXOMark test: https://www.dxomark.com/pixii-a1571-sensor-test/

What puzzles me is that the Pixii is rated as better than the M9 which many folks regard as a really great image producing machine. I really like my M9. If this is the actual fact out there in the real world with folks like you and I pressing the shutter release we should be in for some pleasant surprises.

Along with Godfrey I sure wish mine would get here. I have not even gotten a word from Isabelle with a shipping date and I ordered two weeks ago today, 4 April.

I suspect I was getting notes from Isabelle along the way because shortly after I placed the order I sent a note in to ask "Okay, you say these dates as estimate for when the camera will be ready. What is the current queue and expected turnaround time?" which resulted in a conversation between David and I and Isabelle. According to the Pixii.fr website, the current shipping estimate is 4 weeks on average from time of order.

I just hope that you don't experience The Black Hole That Is UPS ... Into that Sargasso Sea things have their own Time, and that time is different from our time.

The UPS.com website now says I should receive my package tomorrow. I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

G

Thank you. I'm heading out on the bicycle now. Later, I will configure and start testing the Pixii. Patience.

G

I found the video Unboxing highly suspenseful and worthy of the genre. The slow, almost diabolical, manner in which the cardboard flaps rise back up evokes paroxysms of suspenseful glee. The elegant rising up of the inner box is masterful. Indeed, if there is any fault to be found, it is that the ending is a bit anticlimactic given the excellent build-up throughout the video. One almost anticipates a shock at the end - perhaps an aerial attack or car chase. Nonetheless, this video is one of the best this year. Five stars.

Back