Difference between 1.4Mdot and 2.3Mdot viewfinder.

zuiko85

Mentor
Local time
5:08 AM
I have a EM10 mk1 with the 1.4M dot EVF. Manual focusing without magnifing the center 5x is problematic. Yes, I’ve tried focusing peaking and didn’t like it at all.
By experience does anyone know if the higher resolution 2.3Mdot vf of the mkII version would provide any advantage with manual focusing.

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark II that has the 2.3 million pixel finder and it is impossible to accurately manually focus without magnifying the image, and even then focus peaking makes it more accurate. Electronic finders just plain suck for manual focus.

I have a EM10 mk1 with the 1.4M dot EVF. Manual focusing without magnifing the center 5x is problematic. Yes, I’ve tried focusing peaking and didn’t like it at all.
By experience does anyone know if the higher resolution 2.3Mdot vf of the mkII version would provide any advantage with manual focusing.

More resolution is better for manual focus but the other thing that really helps too is the magnification of the viewfinder itself. In other words the size of the image you are looking at. I think the MKII viewfinder is a slightly larger than the MKI. So that with the increased resolution would help.

Shawn

Thanks for real life experience Chris.
I had failed to consider that Shawn, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quite a difference to my eye comparing early and late model Panasonic evf cameras, more dots are better. I find the Panasonic GX-8 to have the best EVF for me.

You may realize it already, but focus peaking generally is more effective set on "low."

I would say today, 2.3M is considered low end. The said, it is still perfectly usable and looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the help. Think I'll be ok with using the magnify feature for now. There is always the option of spending for a autofocus lens. The Olympus M-Zuiko 12-45mm f4 pro seems like the biggest bang for the buck and has a constant aperture. And can be used on a newer body if needed.
Right now my main lenses are a set of half frame Zuiko Pen F primes from the 60's, 20mm through 150mm, mounted on a couple of shimmed adapters.

Oh yeah, picked up one of those 15mm f8 body cap lenses. Amusing little toy.

Back