Different Country, Different Camera

Spluff

Saras
Local time
10:03 AM
Hello All,

Here in the UK, our great Boris has announced that (potentially!) from June 21st we can travel again. So I have started to dust down my cameras and started looking up flights. But I'm one of those that likes to match my camera to the country I am visiting. So for Italy, it's a Rolleiflex. For France, my Contaxs. For Germany, well, it's the Leicas.

Anyone else match their cameras depending on where they are going to?

Happy travels (soon!) :)

Our bozo benefits from private Chinese sponsors of his honour trust account. He ordered some from China, but they didn't let it out from China. Now he is bugging India for vaccines. And nobody knows then.
The only place I need to travel is Moscow. But it is closed. And by the time it will be open both ways, my passport will expire and here is no any estimation, acceptance for new passports.

I think, if I ever go to Cuba to see the Soviet again, it would be polite to use fixed focus, single speed camera.

well Ko.fe
You forgot to mention
Devotion to your 'Canadian' Love...Miss M4-2

Lots of tales to tell , the two of You discovering , planting Canadian roots. ;)

well Ko.fe
You forgot to mention
your being an expat and Devoted to your 'Canadian' Love...Miss M4-2

Lots of tales to tell , the two of You discovering , planting Canadian roots. ;)

It was old good times of my travels been paid by companies I worked for. Except trip to Moscow.

Wasn't the Brownie an American invention? You could use it south of the border...

Regards, David

Yes, Brownie 2somethng was even made by Kodak at Toronto plant. But production seized well before Fedor Kastrov was hired at Cuba.
Obviously, I been harsh on Cuba with fixed lens, single shutter speed matching guess. Smena-8m is perfect match for where is Cuba now.
While to match the current state of the States all I have to bring is the iPhone.

Great Boris :D
I don‘t match my cameras to countries I go to. But interesting concept. I probably don‘t travel enough.

Down here in the Land of Oz, our glorious leaders in Canberra have a copycat habit - if somebody else does it, then we can do it too. With Covid, to everyone's surprise the head honchos extracted their digits from that smelly place and came up with what looks to be an well set up vaccines plan. We are all waiting for this to happen - and for the country to reopen to overseas travel, if only to let in the hordes of Asian students we're told are anxious to return to our universities. We shall see.

There seems to be hope for travel to Asia and maybe Europe in the next half year - Malaysia may reopen to tourism by July, Vietnam is making similar noises, and in Indonesia it seems that Bali is seeing some European tourists now, whether locked in or new arrivals. Java and Sarawak being my usual hangouts, I'm salivating into my Dektol tray at home, hoping and waiting for the good word. I've been stuck at home too long and bored with image archiving, day trips to country towns to shoot pretty landscapes and hanging out in the dark with print tongs, so it's time to go travelling - almost. I live in hope.

In my (almost) mid-70s I now accept that the 'art' of travel and seeing new places is as important as or even more so than the photography I do on the road.

Like many here I try to match my cameras to where I'm going and more so how long I will be away for. Gearwise, it will be my usual kits pared down - a Nikon D800 with two lenses, a Contax G1 with three, or a Rolleicord Vb 'minimalist' kit of camera, lens hood, two filters, and a metal can of film.

Anyone else match their cameras depending on where they are going to?

Happy travels (soon!) :)

Well, for France it would be nice to have a Beaulieu ciné camera - except I don’t have one - but I could take my Bolex to Switzerland.

Actually, I travel extremely light wherever I go. Usually one camera, one lens, and then a very small backup camera like an Olympus XA2.

One thing I do notice is that I associate specific cameras of mine with the places I’ve taken them. Or, when I think of the place, I also think of the camera.

I generally choose my photo gear for travel, based on what subjects i expect to take photos of, but also the purpose and style of the trip. However I do have internal debates about, for instance for trips to Japan, whether I should take a German camera or a Japanese camera, German lenses or Japanese lenses, American, English or German film or Japanese film.
A part of me thinks surely things made in Japan will portray Japan as it prefers to see itself, yet foreign made gear might present a different take. Overthinking much?

Took me ages to figure out why I had to hold my European cameras upside down to get the photos to come out right way up here in Australia.

Marty

Size matters

Size matters

I don’t base what I carry based on country criteria, but rather based on the activity that I am going to be doing once there. Hiking for me now requires a small light camera with tiny lenses while on a casual vacation I can carry something bigger and heavier. If I am going to be mostly in my car with a few brief stops, I sometimes take my 4x5 gear.

I haven't traveled in a long time, though I did quite a bit in the past, and I lived in Brazil and in Portugal for some time. Matching a camera to a country/culture is an interesting concept, but I always just thought in terms of a camera generally suitable for travel.

When traveling and living abroad, photography, though important, was a secondary consideration. I wanted a camera that took up little space in the luggage, was light and easy to carry, and took sharp, well exposed slides. I didn't want to hassle with carrying and changing lenses, physically or mentally. For me, this came in the form of compact, fixed-lens RFs (2x Olympus 35 RC, Vivitar 35 ES, and a Canonet 17 QL GIII). These suited me perfectly for the purpose and I never felt deprived.

- Murray

Back