Digital Leica M Full Frame CCD Corrosion issue poll.

Digital Leica M Full Frame CCD Corrosion issue poll.

• Yes, I have had an issue diagnosed as Sensor Corrosion that required repair by Leica.

Votes: 56 36.6%
  • I have not had any issues with Sensor corrosion I am aware of.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • No I have not had any issues with Sensor Corrosion.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I have an issue that may be Sensor Corrosion but have yet to return my Camera for diagnosis.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I have had multiple Cameras with Sensor Corrosion issues repaired by Leica.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have had problems with some cameras, not others.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

f16sunshine

Local time
10:48 PM
Maybe this will help shed some light on the issue Leica has admitted may occur with their Full frame CCD sensor Digital rangefinder cameras (M9, MM, and M-E.).
Maybe it won't. Either way. Please participate if you own one of these cameras.
Thank you.

In the year that I had the M-E, purchased new, it did not have any problems *that I noticed*.

Although used in a humid climate, it was always stored in an electric dehumidifier cabinet. Use of an Arctic Butterfly kept wet cleaning to minimum.

I was not aware of any potential sensor problems, so I had no idea of trying to evaluate sensor spots more methodically.

My M8 had to return to Solms for sensor remapping. The turnaround from Taiwan took more time and expense than I would have liked.

I am glad that I sold both cameras.

I have one MM that does not have any corrosion problem.

The M9 has been sent to Leica USA for cleaning 3 weeks ago. I have them clean the sensor annually. The last communication from them did not indicate there was a problem, but since they have not yet returned the camera I do not know at this point.

I'll wait to vote until after the camera is returned or I know different.

There needs to be option # 5: repeat sensor failure after sensor replacement.

Then I can check that box.

It would be interesting to see which camera has been affected the most - to differ from M9 / M9-P / Monochrom / M-E.

My Leica M hasn't had any issues. But then again, it doesn't have a sensor either. :)

(The thread might be better placed in the Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"section instead of the Leica M Film Cameras section, no?)

Impossible poll: I have an M9 that is fine and an MM that is in for a replacement.

Impossible poll: I have an M9 that is fine and an MM that is in for a replacement.

For the sake of discovering how many RFF members have had troubled sensors, I would say you should vote that you have had a camera that required a repair.
Yes, you have another camera that does not have an issue.
Polls are not perfect. Comments may fill in for additional information.

They certainly are not perfect. On Internet forums they tend to attract users with problems over people without. But no matter, I'll enter the required answer.:)
Edit - I just noticed you added an option covering my double answer. I voted wrongly, could you please remove my vote, so I can vote correctly ?

They certainly are not perfect. On Internet forums they tend to attract users with problems over people without. But no matter, I'll enter the required answer.:)
Edit - I just noticed you added an option covering my double answer. I voted wrongly, could you please remove my vote, so I can vote correctly ?

Revising votes not possible with the admin software interface.

Stephen

My M9 has had the sensor replaced - monochrom is going strong. I used to wet clean the M9 - have yet to touch the MM sensor. I just use rocket blowers on both

I had a sensor issue with my M9 a year ago. Images looked like they had a lot of tiny dust motes on the top of each image (so on the bottom of the sensor). I sent it in and Leica replaced the sensor. No idea whether this was the infamous corrosion issue or not. So: had my sensor replaced once for reason unknown. Didn't vote in the poll...

I have an M8 (7 years), an M9 (4 years), an M9-P (3 years), and an MM (3 months). Last week on Christmas day my M9-P developed the infamous sensor issue. I'll be sending it in. So glad Leica has seen fit to replace these sensors without cost. Only time lost.

Ken

My M9 sensor and board were replaced last summer for no parts costs but about $500 for labor. I had half of each image blackened out. I suspect it was not the sensor issue that is being discussed.

I'm kind of amazed that all the stürm und drang over this issue is still going on. And at the level of vitriol and enfranchisement that I see people responding with. It's been a couple of months now, I'd thought Leica's determination to just fix the cameras as they have issues would be enough satisfaction for most folks.

For the record, my M9 (bought from Tamarkin as a Leica USA demo unit in January 2012) has had no issues of any kind so far.

Even Rolls-Royce, Porsche, and BMW automobiles break, even have some design flaws... And they don't warranty them forever. ;-)

G

Today received a reply from Leica NJ regarding my M9 sent in for sensor cleaning and inspection. The sensor is being replaced under warranty. I should have it back this week (possibly tomorrow). I consider it fast turnaround since I shipped it December 11 and Leica was closed from the 24th to the 1st. The bad news is my Monochrom has the same (but many fewer) spots.

My M9 is back, cleaned and looking snazzy. Leica NJ says it is just fine but there is a possibility that it could get dirty again. :)

Going on 5 years old, a few scratches, dings and a bit of brassing; but still working as designed.

Onwards and forwards to next year's annual cleaning.

Back