Digital OM System OM-1

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
12:39 PM
This new model from....Who ever they are, looks pretty damn nice for the great outdoors. Small, light and super weather resistant. Just saying.

Yes it does look very good. I've shot M4/3 for a long time, the EM1 series have been compelling from the beginning, this one seems even more improved than the last. I want to see some detailed results from the sensor and see if there is actually better dynamic range and/or noise performance. But also check out the updated OM Workspace app, it has a new AI noise reduction thing, as I understand it, and the results are lightyears ahead of what the Workspace app offered before (of the in-camera NR). It's almost as good as PhotoLab 5 and the other AI NR programs, and it's free if you have a recent Olympus or OM camera. Pretty cool.

I have the E-M1 mark II and the Pen-F. I don't see anything in this new one to make me want to spend the money. Still only 20mp, little or no improvement in noise. Faster AF is not important to me, I don't photograph sports or wildlife.

They also updated the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens. I have the original version and can't see how they could improve it, unless they finally have some quality control in their factory. When I bought mine, I went through 6 of them before I found one that wasn't severely decentered. Once I found a good one, it was and is the sharpest zoom I have ever owned,

I have the E-M1 mark II and the Pen-F. I don't see anything in this new one to make me want to spend the money. Still only 20mp, little or no improvement in noise. Faster AF is not important to me, I don't photograph sports or wildlife.

They also updated the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens. I have the original version and can't see how they could improve it, unless they finally have some quality control in their factory. When I bought mine, I went through 6 of them before I found one that wasn't severely decentered. Once I found a good one, it was and is the sharpest zoom I have ever owned,

Olympus claims 2 stops better noise and 1 stop better dynamic range at the hardware level. Difficult to tell from the samples so far.

I'm ordering one. I've publicly disparaged m4/3 on this forum before but I have to eat my words as I picked up an e-m5 III and the 12/17/75 combo setup last year and I love it. Sold my z6. The OM-1 handles like an e-m1x in an e-m1 III size, and that's a very very very good thing. Viewfinder is huge and massively improved over the e-m1s.

Olympus claims 2 stops better noise and 1 stop better dynamic range at the hardware level. Difficult to tell from the samples so far.

I'm ordering one. I've publicly disparaged m4/3 on this forum before but I have to eat my words as I picked up an e-m5 III and the 12/17/75 combo setup last year and I love it. Sold my z6. The OM-1 handles like an e-m1x in an e-m1 III size, and that's a very very very good thing. Viewfinder is huge and massively improved over the e-m1s.

I downloaded RAW files of test shots Dpreview did and there was virtually no real noise difference. A better finder would be nice, but the one on the E-M1mkII is very nice anyway.

I love the image quality I get from my two m4/3 cameras too, except for high ISO noise,which I wish were better. The small size and light weight of the cameras and lenses make it worth it to me. I can't carry heavy equipment anymore due to health problems. Fullframe systems are just too big and heavy.

I downloaded RAW files of test shots Dpreview did and there was virtually no real noise difference. A better finder would be nice, but the one on the E-M1mkII is very nice anyway.

I love the image quality I get from my two m4/3 cameras too, except for high ISO noise,which I wish were better. The small size and light weight of the cameras and lenses make it worth it to me. I can't carry heavy equipment anymore due to health problems. Fullframe systems are just too big and heavy.

Agreed, I can't stand using huge lenses on small bodies which nearly all the full frame systems do.

I'll be getting an OM-1 in the lab I'm working at very soon - I'll test the high ISO and report back.

Wow you are patient.

If your outdoors are BIF and stars trails, where might be the reason to overpay for new firmware and faster processor of OM-1. To have all functions supported you have to use some limited amount of lenses. Which are also pricey.
Comparing to A7C which is also sealed, it is not really light, not exactly small.

Comparing to A7C which is also sealed, it is not really light, not exactly small.

You played with the a7c much? Viewfinder is a pin prick and feels like lego, in my humble opinion. I doubt it's sealed anywhere near an olympus body too.

The sensor is a BSI quad bayer array sensor - Only other camera that use a similar tech sensor are the Canon R3 and nikon Z9 - really quite an impressive little piece of silicone...

It's not true at all ISO and lighting values. Change to low-light and look specifically at ISO 12800 and 25600. Compared to the EM1 III, the color noise is far less in-your-face. And with M4/3, blotchy color noise is really where the problems are in editing high-ISO RAWs. I'd say while the OM-1 looks pretty grainy the files are quite usable, while the EM1 III stops being usable anywhere beyond 6400.

Olympus claims 2 stops better noise and 1 stop better dynamic range at the hardware level....

This claim has caused a great deal of confusion in other forums. It turns out the OM-1's excellent sensor hardware is not the source for these improvements.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.17.16 PM.png
Link

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.21.07 PM.png
Link

Olympus' marketing information states the improvements in noise and dynamic range are due to "composite processing technology" which occurs after the shutter closes in the camera CPU.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.17.16 PM.png

You sold your Z6 after getting a EM-5 Mark III? That's high praise for the Olympus, the Z6 produces some very nice image quality. Have you been able to get your hands on a OM-1 yet?

I handled the OM-1 at Camera Lane a few months ago, and it felt really good in the hand. Not the same kind of grip as the Panasonic G9, but still comfortable and easy to handle. The Oly Pro primes pair very well with the G9 in terms of balance and operation, so they are a joy to use together. Trying the Pro primes with the OM-1 intrigues me a lot.

You sold your Z6 after getting a EM-5 Mark III? That's high praise for the Olympus, the Z6 produces some very nice image quality. Have you been able to get your hands on a OM-1 yet?

I handled the OM-1 at Camera Lane a few months ago, and it felt really good in the hand. Not the same kind of grip as the Panasonic G9, but still comfortable and easy to handle. The Oly Pro primes pair very well with the G9 in terms of balance and operation, so they are a joy to use together. Trying the Pro primes with the OM-1 intrigues me a lot.

I did! I really like the m4/3 system used within it's limits. The z6 is a good camera but the good lenses are too big for me. I've played with the OM1 and decided to not buy it - it doesn't offer an appreciable difference in IQ over the last gen olympus bodies. As far as ergonomics and stuff, it's lovely though.

I did! I really like the m4/3 system used within it's limits. The z6 is a good camera but the good lenses are too big for me. I've played with the OM1 and decided to not buy it - it doesn't offer an appreciable difference in IQ over the last gen olympus bodies. As far as ergonomics and stuff, it's lovely though.

Thank you for that bit of information, it helps quell the GAS, hahaha. The G9 and S5 give me all the image quality I want right now, and it's surprising how close the G9 can get to the S5 under the right conditions. If the OM-1 isn't appreciably better than the E-M1 Mark III, then it's not appreciably better than the G9.

The small Olympus primes like the 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8 and 45/1.8 punch way above their weight. The 45 particularly is amazing, and light enough to go in a pocket without noticing it until you need it. The f1.2 Pro primes are superb and offer image quality and rendering that the f1.8 lenses don't, but they are a lot bigger and way more expensive. I was lucky enough to score them secondhand from Camera Lane over the past few years. The only issue I have with the f1.8 primes is their light transmission isn't that efficient; the Voigtlander primes are better in this regard, and the f1.2 primes are better, too.

Got the OM-1, 12-40 kit a couple of months ago. Mostly all good. I wanted a light, super weather resistant, sturdy kit. Oly checks all the boxes. Only problem my Leica M-A film camera is getting all my photo time, these days.:shootout:

Got the OM-1, 12-40 kit a couple of months ago. Mostly all good. I wanted a light, super weather resistant, sturdy kit. Oly checks all the boxes. Only problem my Leica M-A film camera is getting all my photo time, these days.:shootout:

It's been a while, how are you finding the OM-1?

I have been really impressed with the OM Systems OM1 in general use and in particular as wildlife/BIF camera paired with the amazing 40-150 f2.8 or even more amazing 300 f4. And there are some great small wides too. Yet to try the hand held hi-res features and the macro stepped focus options, but the image stabilization is very impressive. . feel like it is at a different end of the spectrum to Ms with regard to computational photography and the learning curve to get the most out of them is steep but will reward those who persist. I have absolutely no need personally for more MP and quite happy with the low light capabilities so far.

Back