• Mostly Film, Some Digital

Votes: 358 37.3%
  • All Digital

Votes: 55 5.7%
  • Mostly Digital, Some Film

Votes: 357 37.2%

• Total voters
But I get asked quite often whether it still exists.:eek:

Resurrecting this comment because I get it all the time too. What do people think I'm doing? Pretending? I reloaded my camera today and people commented that it was years since they'd seen it done... Where do you get it developed??

In the 90s of course only film. ;)
From 2000 on only digital.
Between 2005 and 2009 some film, but not very much. Afterwards only digital again.
Since some weeks ago, more and more film - but still 75% digital.

for a while... neither!

now it's a steady mix of film and collodion, with some digital tossed in if I'm doing a favor for someone. I will not shoot digital for any of my personal work.

10372497496_3a2f61db09_z.jpg

Interesting Results

Interesting Results

These are interesting poll results for sure. But I can personally understand why film remains popular.

Believe me, I have nothing at all against digital, but the cameras are sooo boring. Everytime I think I might want to move entirely to digital I gather up my cameras to have a big sale. But the moment I pick up my Contax IIa, or my Leica II, or my Voigtlander Bessa 1, or my Rollei, I just give it up. Even with all the retro designs out today there is still nothing at all in the digital world that even comes close to competing with any of these classics.

I actually think it might be easier to go the other way. :rolleyes:

I'm transitioning back to mostly, if not 99.9% film. I only have one client that I do work for fairly regularly that digital really is the better choice because of how the images are used.

I'm transitioning back to mostly, if not 99.9% film. I only have one client that I do work for fairly regularly that digital really is the better choice because of how the images are used.

You need to write more about the reasons, methods, insights on why you are successful in using film for your clients.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy reading how you did it.

Resurrecting this comment because I get it all the time too. What do people think I'm doing? Pretending? I reloaded my camera today and people commented that it was years since they'd seen it done... Where do you get it developed??

I think you have to forgive people in these situations. They most likely got their film developed by the local drug store in the past, so now that they don't see it offered, it is dead to them. It's niche.

I can't pick a choice, depends what I'm trying to do. Pinhole will be film and I have a few of those. Need to break out my TLR more often, and that will be film. Also have a Fujifilm X-Pro 1digital and a little point and shot digital. I don't have clients so what I shot and he I shoot it is up to me.

I use both film and digital
The digital replaces polaroid for me and works great for the internet use for over 17 years know.
Film is great for long lasting and fine work. I use it since 1963.
I do think film today is still finding it new place and will take more time find that guess a few years

Happy New Year
Dave

Do you shoot Film or Digital?

Vote one of the 4 choices which most closely fits your style.

Let's see what develops ..

Stephen

Digital for convenience, film for pleasure.

Probably 80-90 per cent film (black & white), 20 per cent digital (mainly colour, with a D90) but more and more I find myself using my iPhone 5, both for colour and black and white (black and white with the Hueless app).

I am one of the few it appears, that shoot all digital. I like my digital darkroom much better than my wet darkroom, so I left film behind. Although I do like the images that I have that I made with film, especially the B&W. Digital gives me a lot more control, without having to figure out base density plus fog, etc.

In poor/low light, always digital (and I do a lot of this).

The rest of the time film as much as possible, although I have to admit to just buying a cheap apsc dslr as a back up to my film stuff on the street.

It appears,
Mostly Film and some Digital
and
Mostly Digital with some Film
are tied at 300 each as of 1-29-2014......

Interesting....

I am mostly digital with some film (B&W and home develop/scan)

EDIT:
It would be interesting to know the results for 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and compare to the 2013-2014 results

I had a hard time with the poll because sometimes I shoot mostly film, other times mostly digital, but I figured budgetary restraints have me shooting more digital, as I don't have to purchase film, chemistry, and paper. But I'm not giving up film, and my most recent purchase was an Olympus 35 SP, on its way to me now, and funded by selling my Fuji X10. My E-M5 and Sigma Merrill aren't going anywhere, though, nor is my Hasselblad 500 C/M, and a number of other film cameras.

Back