dreaded error code 91:01 on RX100

emraphoto

Mentor
Local time
11:50 PM
So, I have an RX100 that I use almost entirely for video. Love the thing really, other than the stupidest design flaw I have ever come across.

The little RX100 is now flashing the old error code 91:01 incessantly across the screen. My understanding is that is a flash issue and indeed, the flash won't fire. Now this is not a big deal as I only use it for video and could care less if the flash fires or not. THE PROBLEM is, the error code just flashes away, constantly regardless of mode. Camera works 100% peachy otherwise. Just that annoying flashing code.

It would seem to me that the error code flashing a few times a start up would be sufficient. I could continue using it without sending it out for service and paying more than the camera is worth. But sadly, Sony insists on turning a still functioning camera into an annoying lump of plastic with their error codes.

Anybody else run into this? Any work around beyond reset? I'm going to try a firmware update later tonight to see if this fixes problem. If you sent it off for repair, any costs you want to share?

Apparently a wide spread issue with Sony cameras that happens shortly after warranty expires.

so, apparently Sony has some of the most convoluted firmware update processes imaginable AND you cant update the RX100 running mac osx 10.10 or higher?

wow, a very frustrating demise to an otherwise swell camera.

And a stupid one to boot. The error code that flashes non-stop on the lcd is bad software design. Even the 'no card' or 'low battery' is off to the top or side, not in middle of screen. Beyond the flash not working, the camera does exactly what I need it to do. Perfectly in fact... except for the stupid error code flashing away.

The firmware update process is beyond me. How does someone come up with such a cumbersome, ineffective process? It's almost 2017 Sony!

Back