Durst M670 Stripped Cogs

sjgslack

Established
Local time
11:02 PM
Hello All,

I have a Durst M670 which I recently reassembled after a move. Stupidly I had removed the base of the head from the column, rather than just removing the head from the base.

In getting the base of the head back onto the column, I have managed to strip some of the teeth from the cog inside the head base. Now as I raise and lower it gradually it strips more - soon I won’t be able to move it up and down anymore.

Does anyone know where I might buy a new base unit for the head? Or better a column with one attached so that I won't make the same mistake again! I'm in the UK.

(obviously I'm watching eBay)

Many Thanks

You might look for a smart 3D printer owner who can recreate them.

I'm not one and I'm on the other side of the pond.

Just a thought, best of luck.

B2 (;->

I don't know if this will help, but if it's a stripped nylon or brass gear, you might find a replacement here: https://www.motionco.co.uk/

I have a Durst L1200 with a stripped rack (on the column), and I'll be trying to source something locally to fix it.

Thanks that looks promising...

If only they had made those parts out of metal!

Edit: on ebay it seems quite common to find the columns on their own - maybe you'll get lucky there.

Last edited:
Mmmm, I don't think that's necessary in my situation. It's the nylon rack that's missing teeth on my enlarger, and I can buy a replacement locally for about $100, I think. My rack is in two pieces and I've overcome the problem in the short term by moving the damaged section up to the top of the column where it gets very little use. I've noticed a lot of enlarger parts on eBay and it occurs to me that people can flog them off in pieces and maybe make 3-4 times the actual used value. Maybe repair would be cheaper in your situation?

Mmmm, I don't think that's necessary in my situation. It's the nylon rack that's missing teeth on my enlarger, and I can buy a replacement locally for about $100, I think. My rack is in two pieces and I've overcome the problem in the short term by moving the damaged section up to the top of the column where it gets very little use. I've noticed a lot of enlarger parts on eBay and it occurs to me that people can flog them off in pieces and maybe make 3-4 times the actual used value. Maybe repair would be cheaper in your situation?

On older Durst models, this is a regular problem. My M800 suffered this rack damage, leading to my hunt for repair rack parts about 30 years ago. I was fortunate to find what I needed without much effort or expense (on ebay). The underlying problem is that the nylon or plastic Durst used for the racks aged and became brittle, but it is still works if you do not beat on it. Today, I'd give a sample for 3d printing - should be an easy job.

Back