Electro 35 CC - Not recommended outside of Japan

Jeremy Z

Well-known
Local time
10:49 AM
They're tempting because they have a fast 35/1.8 lens and a smaller chassis than the G-series Electros. I decided to get tricky and buy this instead of a 35/2 for my Nikon FG. I can't say I recommend getting one of these, unless you confirm it's working properly first.

I bought a minty one from Japan mid-last year. The seller didn't comment on whether it worked, only the cosmetic and optical condition. I convinced myself that it would probably work, except maybe a Pad of Death, which is no biggy.

I got it and shot a roll and the exposures were all over the place.

I sent to to Mark Hama to repair and CLA. 6 week estimate. 10 weeks went by and I reach out to him by email; no response. A few more weeks and I decided to call him. He answered and we talked for a bit. It has a broken part, which is not common with the bigger-framed G-series Electros. He said he was currently on the lookout for such a part or a cheap parts camera that might have a good one. It has been a couple more months now and nothing.

I emailed him several days ago to ask him to return the camera and refund my payment. No response. I hope he's OK, but I'd at least like my money and my shelf queen back...

I'm going to call him now.

I have one of those in parts, it's yours for the price of postage from Germany. If you know what part he needs, I can check if I can send only that, should be cheaper.
In the future, you can return an item that was listed as "used" on eBay if it doesn't work, no matter the description AFAIK, because "used" for eBay means working.

I have one of those in parts, it's yours for the price of postage from Germany. If you know what part he needs, I can check if I can send only that, should be cheaper.
In the future, you can return an item that was listed as "used" on eBay if it doesn't work, no matter the description AFAIK, because "used" for eBay means working.

Thanks for the kind offer.

I just called him now, asking for an update. I told him I could have you ship the camera right to him and he said "don't do that."

No explanation? I'd understand if he isn't too keen to work on it, it doesn't seem to be constructed with repairability in mind.

No explanation? I'd understand if he isn't too keen to work on it, it doesn't seem to be constructed with repairability in mind.

He seemed confident he could find the parts for cheap on ebay.

He said it's apart on his desk, all in pieces, so he can't forget about it. I've pretty much given up on getting this camera back working or getting it back assembled with a refund...

How can you expect a refund when he has disassembled it and then will have to reassemble it? No snark intended, just wonder.

The only way he can cut his business opportunity cost loss, is to stick all the parts in a bag before reassembling then mailing it back to you. Either way, he's still out at least a couple hours of labor and service. It's very unfair to ask for a refund at this point because he's a skilled craftsman who does this as his income.
Phil Forrest

I’d call him again with retinax’s contact info for the parts. You paid a non-refundable deposit, right? So...why would you ask for a refund?

How can you expect a refund when he has disassembled it and then will have to reassemble it? No snark intended, just wonder.
Because he's had it for something like 8 months! Between that and his age (sorry) I'm starting to worry that it won't get done.

The only way he can cut his business opportunity cost loss, is to stick all the parts in a bag before reassembling then mailing it back to you. Either way, he's still out at least a couple hours of labor and service. It's very unfair to ask for a refund at this point because he's a skilled craftsman who does this as his income.
Phil Forrest

I’d call him again with retinax’s contact info for the parts. You paid a non-refundable deposit, right? So...why would you ask for a refund?
I paid in full already. At some point, I need the work done or my money back. I'd settle for most of my money back, to account for his time troubleshooting and disassembling.

Mark Hama has been terrific for me, very honorable and dependable. And, he's quite old. I would leave hims a lot of slack.

Meanwhile the Yashica GX is terrific and quite small, through not quite like the CC. Today, all these bodies need someone to have worked on them.

3-D printing

3-D printing

I don't really know much about this, but isn't computer generated 3-D printing really the best way to cheaply generate specific parts for old cameras and other out-of-date equipment?

I don't really know much about this, but isn't computer generated 3-D printing really the best way to cheaply generate specific parts for old cameras and other out-of-date equipment?

Theoretically, it's possible to 3d-"print" (actually laser-sinter I think) metals. Plastic will only do for some parts. In reality the cost is prohibitive, especially as long as camera repair people don't have the skill to prep the files themselves.

Back