Ever bought a NEW Leica body or lens.

• yes in the last 10 years

Votes: 302 45.6%
  • yes more than 10 years ago

Votes: 75 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 285 43.1%

• Total voters
The closest for me was my M6 which was an ex-shop demo, but everything else (6 bodies + 14 lenses) has been purchased used.

Yes, just yesterday I got an Elmar-M 24/3.8 for travel photo taking.
U51008I1493384927.SEQ.0.jpg

Superlative lens. Quite possibly the sharpest lens I own and a perfect landscape/travel focal length. When I'm using my non-Leica the normal zoom starts at a 24mm equivalent focal length and a large % of the images I capture with it are shot at 24mm.

24mm f3.8 Elmar on my M262 this past weekend..

Well, in the old days I bought a new M3 in Germany in 1959. In the 90s I bought a new M6. Not so much these days since the advent of digital, but that's about to change.

Coming this Friday, a new M (262) and 50mm Summarit. Yipee!

I just purchased my first new Leica camera ever. It just so happened it was the last Leica M7 blk body that B&H had in stock. Bonus....batteries were included :)

I sold a nice guitar in June, and with a pocket full of cash, almost bought an MP, but was able to resist.
Does that count for anything? I didn't think so.

I bought a 28mm Summilux for my M8. Now I have a fast 35/1.4 equivalent and will delay any digital upgrade for 5 years. Worth every penny. Here is a test shot in Tokyo where I used it for the first time.

At 1.4 iso1600 cropped a lot.

test by ray tai, on Flickr

Bought new:
--------------------

Leica M6 and 50/2 Summicron in 1996
90/2.8 Elmarit-M, ~2004

Bought used:
---------------------

Leica M3 DS ST PV with 50/2 Summicron, ~1987
Leica M3 SS ST PV, 50/2 DR Summicron, ~1999
Leica M6 TTL ~2004

Leica III, 50/3.5 Elmar - nickel, 2017
Leica IIIf RD ST, 50/3.5 Elmar, 2018

35/2 Summicron M v4, 2018
135/4.5 Hektor, 2019

Also Leicaflex SL's and R8, each with lenses

Leica was offering a decent rebate program back in 2000. My M6 TTL, and a trio of Summicrons (35mm, 50mm, 90mm) were all bought new at the time. Back then I was still relatively young and was viewing it as a system for a lifetime. Were I to part with this gear I couldn't see myself repeating such purchases now given that so many things have changed since then including Leica's offerings, their prices, my priorities and certainly my age.

Well Dick Thornton, I guess at 70, I shouldn’t mind having just paid Leica over $1,700 to replace the sensor in my M9.

Bought several new but never at the MSRP.
Several QM1 when Leica was doing so (cosmetic "defect" to the barrel) and several discounted but unused "demos"; ;).

I bought a "new" M10 from a RFF member who bought it new last June and has not used the camera.

i think I payed more for my used M6 TTL than the new one I held at B&H when you could still get a new one. At the time I thought I would never be able to afford or justify such a extravagance............ I guess times have changed. Does that count?

i think I payed more for my used M6 TTL than the new one I held at B&H when you could still get a new one. At the time I thought I would never be able to afford or justify such a extravagance............ I guess times have changed. Does that count?

Truth is stranger than fiction, eh?

Nope used is great enough for me, had the following (sold or traded top four)
IIIf
M3
M4
M6 (Sorry I sold This!)
M2

I have a M2 now my first Leica in 10 years used, but love it.

In a relatively brief time, I bought an MD-262 (2017), used it a great deal especially in an Italy project/portfolio (but largely for monochrome conversions); added an M-246 by trading away my M7 and GF670 in 2019; and this year horse-traded these and more for an M10 Monochrome.

med_U45148I1598561393.SEQ.3.jpg

I’m retired, and life grows briefer by the day, not to say more perilous by simply breathing in the vicinity of healthy young viral vectors. I’m happy to have this tool that fits my way of seeing and developing at this age.

Leicas I bought used, starting in 2011 when I joined the RFF asylum:

M4
IIIc
M5
M7
M3

It’s like showing off campaign badges, I know. I enjoyed each one, and have shared a lot of works I made with them here and on LUF and Instagram. I even bought the M4 back from the widow of the talented photographer to whom I sold it after I became an M5 convert. When the M5 at last needed $600+ of Sherry Krauter’s attention, I gave it to an RFF friend who always wanted an M5 and was willing to pay for the Golden Touch rehab.

Still have my Hexar RF for the lenses on film, and my T for cropping the same lenses (and sharing the 020 Viso with the M10).

I bought an MP a la carte in 2012.

Code:
__Your personalized Leica à la carte
1.0 Type of camera                 LEICA MP
2.0 Color                          Silver chrome finish
3.0 Rewinding device               as MP
4.0 Type of top cover              Classic
5.0 Controls                       MP style silver chrome finish
6.0 Leather cladding               as MP
7.0 Viewfinder magnification       0.85
8.0 Bright-line frame sets         0.85

Back