Every Film Being Made Today

There were side-by-side comparisons of 200 ISO color negative films somewhere online I remember seeing a couple of years back: AgfaPhoto Vista 200, Fuji C200, Kodak ColorPlus 200 and Kodak Gold 200, if I remember correctly. The AgfaPhoto version looked noticeably different than Fuji C200; much warmer. Posters then were remarking on the differences as well. Although there's no doubt Fuji did manufacture the film for them, it's been my experience that the AgfaPhoto version has a much warmer rendition than C200. I still have several rolls in my freezer.

I have seen these "tests": Done by people with no knowledge in proper film testing, and by young, unexperienced "film-hipsters". For example they often shot the examples in different lighting conditions, shots on one film when the sun was out (resulting in warm color temperature) and the other shot on the other film when the sun was covered by clouds (resulting in much cooler color temperature). I have also seen mistakes in scanning in such comparisons.

My results (and those of lots of other photographers with decades of experience) are different: Compared side-by-side under totally identical shooting conditions the results of the latest AgfaPhoto Vista 200 and Fujicolor C200 are about identical (just some small batch-to-batch differences). And my national Fujifilm branch has also confirmed that the Vista 200 production was derived from the C200 production.

I guess no one would think of 1000ft rolls of kodak motion picture film as a budget C-41 stock, but if you've dealt with a bulk spool and the added step of taking the remjet off in developing before, you're looking at 4 high quality films each with their own unique look, for about the price of C200 (or last I looked, it was definitely under Superia 400 per roll.)

Back