Every Film Being Made Today

bmattock

Mentor
Local time
11:22 AM
I searched but did not notice a link to this anywhere, thought it was interesting and useful:

https://emulsive.org/reviews/every-...plete-a-z-plus-thoughts-on-the-future-of-film

"EVERY SINGLE FILM STOCK STILL MADE TODAY – PART 7: THE COMPLETE A-Z PLUS THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF FILM"

I did note that some of the links to some of the films show 'not in stock' so I am not altogether convinced that all the films listed are available anymore; but it's still a very good list, I think.

Very interesting and potentially very useful. Very helpful to get some info on those "mystery" films that have been stored "wooden casks" or "made by elves in the forbidden forest." Hey man, I just want to know how long to develop this stuff in D76 @72deg... (it does not have development info - but the cross reference info can help you find that - or at least get close.) Brilliant job by the gang at Emulsive.

Kosmo, Rollei, AGFA, Cinestill, Ultrafine, Sillberra and so on are not manufactured films, they are repackaged film from bulk emulsion manufacturers. Like Ilford and Kentmere, Kodak and FujiFilm. Leica does not manufacturing instax film.

Here is no Svema and Tasma films. Factories are closed and in ruins for decades now.

Some of these are ultra rare, like the Fuji Neopan 400CN which seems to be UK only.

My personal gripe has been the lack of choice in 120 color film. 10 out 10 "new" films coming out today are BW, and are almost exclusively 135. If I'd want ISO 400 for general photography Portra is pretty much the only solid option...

Unfortunately the title of the emulsive list is misleading.
It should be "film stock which is currently offered".
Because lots of these films are not freshly made anymore (in the sense of coating), but just discontinued films (by the original manufacturer) which are converted from old expired masterrolls, pancakes or bulk film. That is e.g. the case for Lomography F²/400, Lomography X-Pro, Rollei CR 200 / CN 200 and JCH Street Pan.

My personal gripe has been the lack of choice in 120 color film. 10 out 10 "new" films coming out today are BW, and are almost exclusively 135. If I'd want ISO 400 for general photography Portra is pretty much the only solid option...

You also have Fujifilm Pro 400H, which is also excellent. And you can push Provia 100F with excellent results to ISO 200/24°, and even still good results to ISO 400/27° ( I am doing that quite regularly if I need the additional speed).

Kosmo, Rollei, AGFA, Cinestill, Ultrafine, Sillberra and so on are not manufactured films, they are repackaged film from bulk emulsion manufacturers. Like Ilford and Kentmere, Kodak and FujiFilm. Leica does not manufacturing instax film.

Here is no Svema and Tasma films. Factories are closed and in ruins for decades now.

The author has a 'rant' section where he deals with the usual quibbles he has been seeing since the publication of his list.

I understand the desire for such a list to be accurate. I also understand that it's nearly impossible to do so; especially given that in many cases, you can find ardent supporters of nearly any theory you can propose, both pro and con, and the shouting quickly drowns out the message.

Bottom line, yes, I'm sure the list is inaccurate. Make a better one, then.

Thanks for the link; Emulsive is hedging on Fuji Neopan Acros 100. I hope they choose to continue it. It is really hard to see a truly unique film go. I'm still mad about Verichrome Pan and that was 30+ or - years ago.

Thanks for the link; Emulsive is hedging on Fuji Neopan Acros 100. I hope they choose to continue it. It is really hard to see a truly unique film go. I'm still mad about Verichrome Pan and that was 30+ or - years ago.

Heck, I am still miffed about Panatomic-X. ;)

Seriously, I'm just glad that there's still film out there to play with. Still working my way through my left-over Shantou Era 100. Very expired, been through way too many heat/cold cycles, stored badly, seems to be still working. Between that an Arista whatever-it-is, I'm doing OK for now.

Why didn’t he publish a list of rebranded film? That would be useful information for shopping.

This list is misleading. Because lots of the mentioned films in the list are just still sold. But not produced anymore!
Especially those films offered by the small 'snake oil peddlers' who are just selling long expired films from leftover warehouse stock at insane rip-off prices like Bellamy Hunt with his 'Street Pan' film.

We have to distinguish between real manufacturers with own emulsion making and coating. And distribution and rebranding companies without own factories. And the snake oil peddlers.

Real film manufacturers are Eastman Kodak, Fujifilm, Harman technology / Ilford Photo, Foma, Polaroid Originals, Agfa (Belgium), InovisCoat/InovisProject, Adox, Film Ferrania, FilmoTec, Lucky, Tasma, Shanghai, Micron, Carestream (X-ray film).

Distribution companies without any own production capacities are AgfaPhoto / Lupus Imaging, Lomography, Maco/Rollei-Film, Oriental, Bergger.

And then there are the one-man-shows and snake oil peddlers selling film with their own fantasy label like e.g. Kosmo or Bellamy Hunt / JCH. Whereas Kosmo film is at least just Fomapan 100 from current production, JCH Street Pan is long expired film from Agfa which last production run was coated more than ten years ago. A long discontinued film which expired leftovers are sold now at ridiculous high prices to hipsters with no knowledge and deep pockets who believe any marketing nonsense. As this is only leftover stock, this film was dead right from the beginning. It has no future: When this stock is sold, it is gone forever.

With re-labelling some companies make extra-money: For example you can buy Kentmere 100 and 400.
But Harman is offering both films to re-branding companies. Therefore you can get both films under different labels, too.
Kentmere 100 = AgfaPhoto APX 100, Rollei RPX 100, Oriental 100, Fotoimpex CHM 100.
Kentmere 400 = AgfaPhoto APX 400, Rollei RPX 400, Oriental 400, Fotoimpex CHM 400.
If you buy the Kentmeres for example as Rollei RPX 100 / 400, you pay more than a buck more under the Rollei name for the same film!

Rollei Retro 80s = Rollei RPX 25 = Agfa Aviphot Pan 80. All the same film, but significantly more expensive under the RPX 25 name.
Rollei Superpan 200 = Rollei Retro 400s = Rollei IR = Agfa Aviphot Pan 200. Same film, but again different names and prices.

This list is misleading. Because lots of the mentioned films in the list are just still sold. But not produced anymore!
Especially those films offered by the small 'snake oil peddlers' who are just selling long expired films from leftover warehouse stock at insane rip-off prices like Bellamy Hunt with his 'Street Pan' film.

We have to distinguish between real manufacturers with own emulsion making and coating. And distribution and rebranding companies without own factories. And the snake oil peddlers.

Real film manufacturers are Eastman Kodak, Fujifilm, Harman technology / Ilford Photo, Foma, Polaroid Originals, Agfa (Belgium), InovisCoat/InovisProject, Adox, Film Ferrania, FilmoTec, Lucky, Tasma, Shanghai, Micron, Carestream (X-ray film).

Distribution companies without any own production capacities are AgfaPhoto / Lupus Imaging, Lomography, Maco/Rollei-Film, Oriental, Bergger.

And then there are the one-man-shows and snake oil peddlers selling film with their own fantasy label like e.g. Kosmo or Bellamy Hunt / JCH. Whereas Kosmo film is at least just Fomapan 100 from current production, JCH Street Pan is long expired film from Agfa which last production run was coated more than ten years ago. A long discontinued film which expired leftovers are sold now at ridiculous high prices to hipsters with no knowledge and deep pockets who believe any marketing nonsense. As this is only leftover stock, this film was dead right from the beginning. It has no future: When this stock is sold, it is gone forever.

With re-labelling some companies make extra-money: For example you can buy Kentmere 100 and 400.
But Harman is offering both films to re-branding companies. Therefore you can get both films under different labels, too.
Kentmere 100 = AgfaPhoto APX 100, Rollei RPX 100, Oriental 100, Fotoimpex CHM 100.
Kentmere 400 = AgfaPhoto APX 400, Rollei RPX 400, Oriental 400, Fotoimpex CHM 400.
If you buy the Kentmeres for example as Rollei RPX 100 / 400, you pay more than a buck more under the Rollei name for the same film!

Rollei Retro 80s = Rollei RPX 25 = Agfa Aviphot Pan 80. All the same film, but significantly more expensive under the RPX 25 name.
Rollei Superpan 200 = Rollei Retro 400s = Rollei IR = Agfa Aviphot Pan 200. Same film, but again different names and prices.

Thanks for the updates Jan!

This list is misleading.

Probably. Don't know, don't care.

I don't get involved in those kinds of discussions anymore. Years ago, I made the mistake of pointing out that a certain 'brand' of film was not actually being manufactured by that company, but was instead 'produced' meaning relabeled. The hatred and vitriol that followed was quite enough, thank you.

I say let people believe whatever nonsense they like. I merely provided a link to an interesting website and others can decide if it's useful, useless, factual, or all stuff and nonsense.

As I've said before, at a certain point, facts related to photography become religious arguments, and there is no winning those. Certain cookies are made in trees by elves. Sure, buddy. Whatever you want to believe is fine.

I don't get involved in those kinds of discussions anymore.

Amen. I didn't post anything about this link when I first saw it for this exact reason.

We have to distinguish between real manufacturers with own emulsion making and coating. And distribution and rebranding companies without own factories...

Well then why not write an article for Emulsive? They are actively looking for content.

Submission info here.

Amen. I didn't post anything about this link when I first saw it for this exact reason.

I've always been interested in the photography industry as a whole. The history, the people, the camera makers, lens makers, films, and so on. I've got books on the history of photography and photographers by the dozens if not hundreds and I really enjoy trying to sort out the facts behind various aspects of it.

But along the way, I realized that a) not many people are as interested in the minutia of this stuff as I am and b) some people take great offense if you puncture one of their firmly-held beliefs. Sacred cows and all that.

So let it be. If someone wishes to believe that elves make cookies, who am I to say they are wrong?

I believe Bergger is manufactured by Inovis.
Ok, so Invois is like a Carestream. That would imply that Inovis produces Bergger Pancro 400 for Bergger likely using a Bergger formulation. So if anything it is toll coated, but not necessarily a rebranded film.

edit: This confirms that- https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/new-film-bergger-pancro-400.122223/

"David A. Goldfarb said:
I'm enthusiastic to see a new film on the market, but still feeling a lack of clarity on what it is.
Can you say definitively that this is an entirely new film, unique to Bergger, that has not been marketed under any other brand name in the past, and is not currently being marketed under another brand?

Yes, I do !
Aurélien LE DUC
BERGGER CEO"

(mainly interested because I shot a roll of 120 earlier this year, and just finished a roll of 35mm)

Ok, so Invois is like a Carestream. That would imply that Inovis produces Bergger Pancro 400 for Bergger likely using a Bergger formulation. So if anything it is toll coated, but not necessarily a rebranded film.
Perhaps. I do not know who is responsible for the formulation. Could be Inovis offers several variations to choose from.

Back